Toyota Prius and Matrix Oil/Filter Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, this is my first post on BITOG. I'm wondering what the best oil/filter combos are for the two cars listed below. I've been using Mobil-1 synthetic with K/N filters. Are there better products that I could be using for these vehicles? I'm very open to further reading and suggestions.

2015 Toyota Prius 2 - 50k miles.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil. SAE 0W-20 preferred. 4.4 qts with filter. Interval not listed.
3. Where you live: Minneapolis, MN
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?): Easy
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?). Short trips throughout the day in the city..
6. Whether your car has any known problems. No

2010 Toyota Matrix (Base Model 1.8 L 4-cylinder) - 50k miles.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well: ILSAC Multigrade engine oil. SAE 5W-20 or SAE 0W-20. OW-20 preferred for cold-weather. 4 qts with filter. Interval not listed.
3. Where you live: Minneapolis, MN
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?): Easy
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?): City - short trips.
6. Whether your car has any known problems: No

Welcome Mike (I love the TC's and the "U").

First thing is stop spending (wasting?) your money on K+N air filters. I always guess that you are under 25 years of age when I see that. The OEM paper is all that you need.

All of your answers and more will be found here so spend an evening using the search feature.

Mobil 1 is fine but You can use any major brand of oil that meets the specs. Looks like you short trip both vehicles Followthe oil minder if the cars have it or otherwise 5000 miles would be a good start. On the Prius, I will throw out Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 as a good choice especially for a engine that starts and stops. A lot of good reports here on that oil.

Filters, stay with OEM. My recommendation only.

I am not a fan (putting it lightly) of OE replacement Toyota Denso Thailand-sourced filters, Hurt two very different engines of mine in the mid 2000's.

If the K&N is a Champion made unit you can use that at its high expense with confidence - or maybe try a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter (as seen in Walmart) if that is made by Champion.

You answered you question with this:

6. Whether your car has any known problems. No

So continue on as before, or try one of MY two favorites
Valvoline 0w20 or Castrol Magnatec (which I have NOT tried in the 0W20 flavor but in the 5w20)

I have not been a fan of any recent ( past 10 years) Mobil 1 product. And I have run the common ILSAC GF product and the Motorcycle product

Thank you for the recommendations. I was looking at the M1C-154 by Mobil after doing some reading on this site. I'll give the Magnatec 0W20 a shot.

I'd use the heaviest weight synthetic my owners manual allowed along with Toyota oem filters. Change every 5k. May consider changing transmission and drivetrain fluids. I pretty much use Amsoil oil, tranny and diff products.

Are you sure the capacities aren't reversed? The manual for my 2010 Vibe 1.8 says 4.4 quarts. I think I have seen 4.4 on a Toyota chart, too.

I've used a variety of oil filters with no problems I could determine: Toyota, Beck Arnley, Fram, Wix, and Hastings. Physically, they all looked just fine coming out. I have only used filters with the amber, rubber-like endcap material, not the hard plastic endcaps.

Bottom line--your oil choice is fine, but you could probably save a few dollars on filters. Since you're in Minnesota, 0W in both will let you stock one oil.

I would also use the magnatec 0w-20 as it's a "thick" 20w.

Side note, I live in maple grove right on the edge of Minneapolis. Small world!

Welcome to the forum!

You're fine using 0w20 in both (provided the manuals both approve it - which they appear to), but I'd ditch the K&N filter if it was me. You're paying for the name, not quality. OEM is an easy option, but not always preferred by many due to lower filtration efficiency. I've settled on Mahle for the oil filter for my 2015 Prius... part # OX416D1ECO . It's around $7 in price, has injected endcaps -vs- glued seams like many others seem to, and also has rubber o-rings to help seal each end of the filter. Very well built - made in Austria.

Just my $0.02.

Originally Posted By: minnemike
I've been using Mobil-1 synthetic

TGMO 0W-20 SN is an upgrade over the Mobil 1 0W-20 varieties in my opinion. It's probably mostly thanks to more moly in TGMO but also Group III is probably a safer bet for these nonturbo engines, as additive-fighting esters in Mobil 1 (and other PAO-containing oils) tend to increase wear (remember Mobil 1 high-iron fiasco years ago), even though the oil blenders try hard to reduce this adverse effect.

Most UOA comparisons I've seen show TGMO to be better than Mobil 1.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-...experiment.html

I will also trust TGMO more with seal compatibility than Mobil 1.

They will both work mostly fine though.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: minnemike
I've been using Mobil-1 synthetic

TGMO 0W-20 SN is an upgrade over the Mobil 1 0W-20 varieties in my opinion. It's probably mostly thanks to more moly in TGMO but also Group III is probably a safer bet for these nonturbo engines, as additive-fighting esters in Mobil 1 (and other PAO-containing oils) tend to increase wear (remember Mobil 1 high-iron fiasco years ago), even though the oil blenders try hard to reduce this adverse effect.

Most UOA comparisons I've seen show TGMO to be better than Mobil 1.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-...experiment.html

I will also trust TGMO more with seal compatibility than Mobil 1.

They will both work mostly fine though.

WOW

Most 0W-20 oils, including Mobil 1, have about 80 ppm moly (Mo), while Pennzoil Platinum is stingy on moly with about 55 ppm. TGMO is your best bet with about 120 ppm moly. Note that TGMO has always been loaded with moly, even in previous API categories. Note that these are assumed to be advanced types of moly, such as trinuclear moly. A few oils have no moly at all and some mid-range-priced oils such as Quaker State use less advanced forms of moly at high concentrations.

If I based my choice on moly alone, I would go with TGMO. You certainly can't go wrong with more moly.

Moly is synergistic with ZDDP. Most 0W-20 oils, including TGMO and Pennzoil Platinum, have about 750 ppm phosphorus, while Mobil 1 is stingy on ZDDP with about 650 ppm phosphorus.

In summary, TGMO comes with standard ZDDP and generous moly, Mobil 1 with stingy ZDDP and standard moly, and Pennzoil Platinum with standard ZDDP and stingy moly. It's your choice on the additive pack.

Pennzoil Platinum with the OEM filter, follow the maintenance minder and sleep easy at night.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Not a thing wrong with OEM Denso filters.

...other than only being 50% efficient at 20-microns?

They aren't the most efficient, I agree, but a lot of Toyotas have over 300k+ on them using nothing but OEM filters so they must be doing something right! I like them because the build quality is excellent and the price is good. I got a case of 10 for $35 off Amazon and that's enough for 5 years of oil changes for my truck. Toyota wouldn't risk their global reputation for building some of the most reliable vehicles on the planet by using insufficient filters, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back