What oil for 02 VW Jetta VR6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody!

Just going to use the sticky guideline

1. What kind of vehicle you have
- 02 VW Jetta VR6 GLS 5-Speed

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
- This is what it says under "Gasoline Engines":
> VW 502 00 or VW500 00 or VW501 01
> ACEA A2 or ACEA A3
> API Service SJ
> Recommended SAE 5W-40 or SAE 5W-30

3. Where you live
- Ontario, Canada

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
I would say easy? but sometimes Id rip it.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
- Short trips in the city, most of the time.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
- Clutch will be changed soon.

I'm inclined to recommend something to fight the acid buildup you will see from the repeated short trips. Mobil 1 0w40 comes to mind with its 11.8 TBN. It is also on the VW 502 approval list.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Shell Rotella T6 or PC Duron-E 5w40... and good luck with the timing chain!

What about the timing chain, will it give me a hard time?

Last edited:
Nice ride !!!
11.gif

Motul oil guide calls for 5W40 but I'm sure where you live there are extreme cold winter, I think Mobil 0W40 wich is 502.00 compliant is a good choice if not pricey and easily available.

0W30 seems to not offer enough motor protection that's why VW (only in Europe) changed his recommendation to go to a 5W40 grade even if GC 0W30 tends to be near to a -W40 grade.

In my R32 Golf Mk5 I put any Synthetic 5w40 SM/SN 502.00 motor oils (Castrol, Mobil...) that I found on sales & It starts up at the first time even if the car is parked under a 20cm of snow by -10°C outside
19.gif

08.gif

This engine is also known to be a sludger (IMO due to too long OCI...) & shortening the OCI will preserves the timing chain lubricated by the motor oil.
04.gif

If your engine has small varnish (like mine) maybe use more detergent oil like Shell Ultra or PU will help to clean it...
Sorry for my bad english...
10.gif

08.gif

Last edited:
Look likes I'll be trying to find some Mobil 1. Since it looks like the most popular choice.

Ive read that I can go to canadian tire and grab some Mobil 1, I havent seen Shell Ultra, but I'm going to try and see if the Shell gas station might hold some.

What do you guys think of Royal Purple motor oil? I'm stopping by a store to pick up a MANN or Mahle oil filter and they hold this type of motor oil just wanted to see what you guys might think.

VW502 oils that you will find around your home ( CTC and/or WM) are:

Mobil 1 0W40
Castrol(GC) 0W30
Castrol 0W40
Castrol 5W40
Valvoline 5W40

If you can find it or if you want to get it shipped in PU 5W40 is a great choice.

Any of these will do the job.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody!! I grabbed 5x 1L of Mobil 1 0w-40 today. Just got back.

I noticed the my local store carries RP, I want to try it out. Is it bad to change the type of oil being used and would the 5W30 work? Also would. This is my 2nd oil change with this car before it was Castrol SAE 5W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back