Oil Recommendations - 2005 Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Looking for information in regards to what oil to put in. If I should put synthetic or not into the engine or Castrol vs some other brand.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2005 Toyota Camry

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

Grade: API grade SL "Energy-Conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oill
Viscosity: 5w-30
Change Interval: 5000

3. Where you live

Minneapolis, MN

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

My wife drives pretty easy.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

Short trips most are probably under 10 minutes and most are the city. On occasion highway miles

6. Whether your car has any known problems

No known problems as far as I know.

The car has about 140K miles on it but those were mostly highway miles.

Appreciate the responses.

Thanks,

Scott

Originally Posted By: Doog
MAxlife 5w30 syn blend

It's hard to dispute that suggestion. Maxlife 5w-20 every 5k and a Fram Ultra every other change is the way I'd go; that filter is good for 10k.

The 2005 Camry is also specced to use 0w20/5w20, so choices are endless.
In 0w20- TGMO/PP/QSUD.
5w20- PP/QSUD/QSAD/PYB.
Some here are using the QSAD and have favourable opinions on it. It's a conventional, it's resource conserving due to the lighter weight and is cheap and easy to find. If staying conventional it'd be that or PYB..
I will favor the lighter oils, so if the car is in good shape and you go synthetic, try the TGMO 0w20.

Cheers...

My grandson is doing 10K OCIs with M1 5-30. Of course he is following my lead, but his 2002 Camry V6 with 180K runs great, doesn't need top up oil in 10K, and the engine still runs great.

Dino 5W-30.

I'd use Havoline and a cheap filter with a 5000 mile OCI.

Don't overthink it. It's a 9 year old Camry.

If you have any valve seal issues, I'd kick it up to 10W-30 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Dino 5W-30.

I'd use Havoline and a cheap filter with a 5000 mile OCI.

Don't overthink it. It's a 9 year old Camry.

If you have any valve seal issues, I'd kick it up to 10W-30 in the summer.

Since you mentioned that I should note that I noticed a bit ago when I went outside there appears to be some leaking of oil around the valve cover.

Don't know if this will change other peoples responses or not but I appreciate all of them so far.

Mobil Super HM 5w30. It is resource conserving, has seal conditioners, is semi-synthetic, and it's really cheap. Mobil makes Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, and the 5w30 is very close to Mobil Super in additive chemistry.

Im running Valvoline Synpower 5-30 with a can of MOS2 & a Fram Ultra filter. It is purring like a kitten!! Valve cover gaskets are not hard or expensive to replace. Good luck with your Camry!!

Running Quaker State Ultimate Durability in mine right now. My daughters Camry is on Mobil 1 5w30 and both run great with no issues. Choose something easy to get and not terribly expensive and change it with a plan in mind. The car should treat you fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back