Toyota owners "boring"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I recently bought V6 RAV4. 0-60 mph in 6.5 sec or so.

That is actually very impressive, and not just for an SUV but for any vehicle.

But going back to the main topic, I think the cars that have a soul or character, or whatever you want to call it, are relatively few these days. That's because an average person doesn't care about these things so much. Most people just want reliable transportation. You can't blame Toyota (and many others) for giving the public what they want.

I heard it described somewhere as, "Cars for people who want to get from point A to point B and then forget that it had to happen".

Not sure where I read that, may have even been on this forum somewhere.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
That's a great quote! ^^^^^^^

quote:

Haven't been to any business meetings, have you?

Heh... I've been watching past episodes of The Office... that show cracks me up.

[ July 18, 2006, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

quote:

Also you can add the jacked up 4x4 morons...

Hey Bill, play nice. There's a lot of Jeep guys on here (and 4x4's too). You never know when your 44MPG steel casket will get stuck in the snow...

An old folks' car? In these parts, that is hands down a Buick. Will a salesman even sell you one if you aren't on Medicare? More often than not, that Buick will have a handicap license plate, too.

I am noticing more of the older crowd in a Camry. They tend to like larger cars, so the Corolla is too small. Usually when I pass a Corolla it is a very homely looking woman with the cruise control set a few miles under the posted speed limit.

I think Toyota makes some good vehicles. I don't think the Camry and Corolla are built for driving enthusiasts.

Well, I just drove my first Toyota Avalon this morning. A '99 platinum edition. Not a bad car, but nothing I'd ever want. For starters, the placement of the E-brake pedal (why a pedal instead of a lever? Come on, guys) is absolutely retarded. I set the E-brake every time I get in and swing my left size 13 foot in the car.

For a car this roomy, the ergonomics are not all that impressive. I couldn't get a decent driving position that I would want to take a long trip in. But that's more me than the car. Few cars are really comfy for me.

Power was average. I don't think anyone will be winning too many races with this car. The whole idea of isolating the driver from any part of the powertrain is not what I like. I like to hear my engine at WOT, and feel the tranny shifting. IMHO, it is possible to make a car too quiet.

I guess overall it's a decent car, but I'd rather have a 300M than this car for roughly the same money. At least I won't be feeling like I'm driving the automotive equivalent of unsalted saltines.

What Bill said
wink.gif

Cars I've had:

70 VW Bug
75 Plymouth Valiant
70 Pontiac Firebird
85 Nissan P/U
87 Honda Accord
91 Toyota Celica GTS (not a boring car!)
00 Nissan Maxima SE (Celica was more fun to drive)
03 Ford Focus ZX3
04 Saturn Vue (V6 Honda 250 HP)
05 Toyota Matrix XR

The only 2 cars that I had almost zero problems with is the 2 Toyota's......some little things here and there that maybe most people wouldn't bother with...........so when it came time for me to get something that I knew was going to last 300K with minimal worries? Was there any doubt Toyota was gonna be at the top of that list?

The Matrix isn't the flashiest car in the world but far from boring, very practical(I can hold almost the same amount of stuff in the Trix as the Vue), great MPG for an auto(35-36 mpg)...is it perfect? Heck no but for someone who drives 100 miles a day and having the reassurance that it is gonna make it every time goes a long way
smile.gif

If that all equates to boring than the last thing I want is to be "exciting" I'm sure a lot of people at Matrix Owners who probably beg to differ

Goose
patriot.gif

PS Hey..I love all cars and don't equate anyones choice of wheels to them being a whatever..different situations dictate different circumstances in both $$ and whatever...............

I've run the range of exilerating to YAWN, like many others:

1978 Chevy Monza 2.5 (for you youngsters, it's the ancestor to the Cavalier. Underpowered and heavy, soft suspension.
1986 Honda Civic Si Very spirited little car for it's time
1985 Olds Calais 3.0 Torquey V6, horrible handling
1991 Honda Civic Si Even more spirited little car for its time
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD The car I shoulda kept...what a ride!!!
1990 Nissan Sentra XE TOTAL APPLIANCE
1993 Plymouth Sundance V6 WAY faster than anyone would have thought. It ate a few Camaros for lunch during its life with me.
1997 Ford Ranger OMG what a piece of SH*T
1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. Nice, competent sports coupe...screaming for a turbo
2000 Nissan Sentra GXE TOTAL appliance, although kinda peppy
2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 5-speed 4-door rocket sled.. 0-60 5.9 sec.
2004 Mazda 3i Great car for its segment
2006 Nissan Frontier So far so good....Gotta love a VQ

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
I thought people fall asleep when they are tired (insomia, sleep apnea, shift workers) and not bored.

Haven't been to any business meetings, have you?

I thought we were talking 'bout driving and not working, yawn...

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
For starters, the placement of the E-brake pedal (why a pedal instead of a lever? Come on, guys) is absolutely retarded. I set the E-brake every time I get in and swing my left size 13 foot in the car.

Probably for little old ladies. Easier for someone to press down on a pedal than pull up a lever. Especially when putting the ebrake down, for some people that can be very difficult to put the lever down, as opposed again to pushing something in with your foot.

Personally I don't worry much about what others drive. It's their choice, not mine. I'm happy with what I choose, and I assume others are happy with what they choose.

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
Probably for little old ladies. Easier for someone to press down on a pedal than pull up a lever.

Moroeover, hands are much needed to hold a phone, a lipstick, a McDonald's sandwitch... so we can't possibly require hands to also do things like shift gears, use turn signals or pull up an ebrake.

You can't help but notice that more 'fun' or 'comfort' has been added to cars in the last 20 years, and with it has come exponentially more complication. The original appeal of Honda in the early to mid 80's was the simplicity of their design....nothing broke because they were so simple and well made. My 86 Civic Si was a lot of fun to drive, and the most complicated thing about the entire car was a single cam actuating all 12 valves. Simple by today's standards. Now, appearing more and more as standard equipment we have VVTL, VTEC, DOHC, Stability management, ABS, Skid control, EBFD, traction control, and the list goes on. Mercedes has even recently introduced camless valve actuation, which I'm anxious to read more about.

I do enjoy the benefits that some of these options offer, but I don't enjoy how often they break, and how much it costs to fix them. The more powerful cars become, the more electronic and mechanical safety nets they seem to need, which leads to more frequent and expensive repair. I have to wonder where it will end, or if it will. Funny to me that some carmakers manage to include all these goodies in cars that still remain boring and white bread.

CDB, good points. It is also my feeling that it's nearly impossible to marry comfort/luxury and fun. Because if you decide to make a car more luxurious and comfy that generally means you want to soften the suspension, isolate the driver from the road, kill off all the external noises (including engine noise), make it big and spacious. This in turn kills the sportiness/fun factor.

The extra weight that came with all the latest electronics and safety devices also contributes to the boring factor because the car is no longer 'tossable' (think old Rabbit) but instead feels like driving a tank. As usual, it's all about tradeoffs.

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
I thought we were talking 'bout driving and not working, yawn...

I expect that someone who would rather "get from point A to point B and forget it had to happen" probably views driving as work they'd rather not do.

Boy, this thread sure gets some people's blood pressure up! I, for one,enjoy the reliability of the Toyotas and with many, many, hours of driving under my belt, can recognize true value in an automobile purchase. These vehicles and their low costs to operate will allow me to retire several years earlier than planned and this my friends is a true measure of value. Thank You TOYOTA! My biggest regret is back in '74 when a friend of mine had a loaded Celica I laughed at it and if I was paying more attention could have saved even more money and heart-ache if I'd bought back then instead of 25 years later. Bill In Utah...This Buds for you.

http://www.autooninfo.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back