Toyota Oil Filters...TRD? vs OEM...vs aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMR

I am on my third Toyota Land Cruiser and am confused about the Toyota brand oil filters. It seems that the current OEM replacement YZZD3 is not as well thought of as the earlier 90915-20004.

Also noted that there is a TRD High Performance filter available.

I could not find a discussion of these filters?? Any input?? vs aftermarket?

My last LC went 200K+ using the 90915-20004 and the earlier 20002 version. I want to use the best filter but would prefer the Toyota brand if they are similar quality.

My LC seems to be noisey at start-up for 10-30 seconds...much more noticeable than my 1991 LC. I use M1 5W-30. Maybe a better anti-drain valve would help...vs the YZZD3???

ANy thoughts or experience???

Tom R

best filter would be an asmoils eao 15.

Good luck finding that factory toyota filiter. 2 years ago was the last I saw them.

Just ordered a case from carsontoyota.com in California (I think) From the web site it appears to be the 20004 version and in stock. They talk about them being hard to find. Let's see if they actually have them? Tom R

"Worth"...maybe/maybe not. But for a $60K vehicle the extra say $10 per X 3 per year = $30.

I am OK with that...They DO seem to be sought after by other Land Cruiser owners...long after they have been discontinued in the US...Tom R

For that price I'd get a synthetic fiber media filter like the EaO or semi-synthetic media like the M1 or even a Fram XG. M1 can be found for around $10 and the Fram XG can be found for $7.50 at Wallyworld.

Why not just oversize it, $12.79 per at Carson doesn't seam worth the money.Ive used the old and new found the diff a non issue.

Recently I been oversizing, with Napa Gold 1516.
Now I use the pure one PL30001.
DSC00098.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

Toyota Tundra Oversized 4.7L V8
PART NUMBER: PL30001 pure one Tundra huge oversized
Napa 1515. Napa 1516 smaller. Even larger 2 qt version 7” long 51773

OEM 90915-YZD3

wix lists the 51773 as 30 micron
while the 51515 is 19.

I'll use the smaller 1qt filter.

The TRD is a heavy duty micro-glass filter produced in the USA. It is not a rebadged Amsoil filter - Performace should be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back