Toyota Long LIfe Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once saw a gallon of that stuff, and it said 2-Ethyl Hexanoate and Sodium Neodecanate.

Those are the same 2 additives that go into GM Dexcool.

I recomend buying a jug of Prestone "All makes all models" which is 2 Ethyl Hexanoate and Sodium Neodecanoate, plus a dye that changes the coolant to match the stuff already in the system.

Ingredients:

Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1)
Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6)
Water (7732-18-5)
Organic Acid Salt (532-32-1)
Hydrated Inorganic Salt (1310-58-3)

Hopefully someone can explain the chemistry here and the numbers associated with the ingredients.

Meets or Exceeds:

ASTM D-3306
ASTM D-4340

Notes:

blah, blah, blah standard freeze up/boil over/warranty/approval

DOES NOT contain silicates that may harm water pump seals.

DOES NOT contain borates that may cause aluminum corrosion/pitting.

Helps provide excellent corrosion protection.

Helps provide outstanding protection for all vehicle cooling systems.

Quote:

I once saw a gallon of that stuff, and it said 2-Ethyl Hexanoate and Sodium Neodecanate.

I recomend buying a jug of Prestone "All makes all models" which is 2 Ethyl Hexanoate and Sodium Neodecanoate, plus a dye that changes the coolant to match the stuff already in the system.

----. I just put it into my old Honda Civic and I read that Honda does not want 2-EHA. What to do now?

Quote:

Quote:

----. I just put it into my old Honda Civic and I read that Honda does not want 2-EHA. What to do now?

Flush out your system and buy coolant from your Honda dealership, which has phosphate, sebecate, and no 2-EHA

Quote:

Quote:

Can someone please tell me what's the exact chemistry beside Glycol?

Thanks.

Who cares about the chemistry...all i know it works great in Toyotas.

Many people don't want to go to the dealership to get the right engine coolant, either because they can't stand their local dealership, or because they don't feel like paying double for the exact same chemical that can be bought at a local part store.

There is a 3rd reason: It's not available even at the local Honda dealer. I went there and asked to see what Coolant they have and they show me a no-name coolant with no indication of contents. I reckon I may as well use a branded Toyota Coolant instead.

The other alternative would be to get the Texaco ELC.

I suppose then it would be time to try certain types of Peak coolant. They contain certain inhibitors that are not 2-EHA, but are not phosphate or silicate either.

Sorry, I don't believe you. As wantin150 stated, it is not shown on the bottle. The Toyota red is similar to a conventional coolant that uses phosphates instead of silicates. Toyota does not use 2EHA. From what I have read over the years, Honda and Toyota's conventional coolants are similar. I don't know if Honda has an equivalent to the pink coolant.

Just went through the same dilemma when they replaced my water pump and replaced the suspect G-05 with a thick green syrup. It's the same thing over and over, nearly impossible, outside of the G-05 realm, to figure out the methods of any given coolant (OAT, Silicate, Phosphate, etc., etc.). Seems as though the Prestones are all licensed and unlicensed Dex-Cool clones. I saw the Toyota coolant at a parts store, but again, the jug gives no info. The dealer that replaced my water pump pointed at the big tank, but knew not what was in it.

Soooo, since I ran the original radiator on my 92 Hyundai out to 288,000 miles on Prestone licensed Dex-Cool, and my experience with G-05 lead me to my first water pump failure ever in any car since I've started driving (not saying the G-05 wrecked my water pump, but a co-incidental first use of G-05 followed up by a water pump replacement 45,000 miles later, I'm not gonna push my luck) I'm going back to the DexCool clone of Prestone. The yellow 5/150 formula in the yellow jug. Gonna drain it and replace it every 18 months, and call it a day. Life is too short to hassle with it.

Irksome to those of us who are curious as to what we put in our cars and can get so little info. Same thing with the Mobil1, same thing with the MTFs, same thing with all the additives. No info. Dump it in, let THEM worry about what's in it, right?

Can you confirm? I thought Toyota Coolant contains 2-Ethyl Hexanoate whereas Honda do not wants it.

Quote:

Can you confirm? I thought Toyota Coolant contains 2-Ethyl Hexanoate whereas Honda do not wants it.

Toyota's fluid contains 2-EHA? That's news to me. I thought that both Honda and Toyota are against 2-EHA.

Toyota said no to 2EHA, which is why they did not jump on the Dexcool bandwagon and chose to develop their own formula. You are fine running the Toyota coolant in your Honda. Personally, I find the Toyota coolant stays very clean and clear when changed regularly (3 years) with no corrosion products evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back