Toyota long life coolant really last that long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: nyumski
does anyone here mix up the Toyota Coolant (Pink fluid) with coolant additive (Redline Water wetter or Amsoil Dominator Coolant or Royal Purple - Purple Ice?

is that good for addition? i live in tropic season country which is the temp around 25 - 38 degress Celcius.

Don't do it - WaterWetter and its like are meant for race track use only with straight water - glycol on the track can create a dangerous situation.

Leave the coolant as-is.

Oh i see, and all those are meant for using with straight water (tap water) only, right?

I was recently looking at some Penrite long-life Euro coolants, not the exact same stuff I know, but they listed the following intervals.

Penrite Red Coolant
8 years and 500,000KM - G40 - OAT coolant
It’s Phosphate, Amine, Borate and Nitrate Free,
It contains silicate, so it’s called a Si-OAT coolant.

Penrite Blue Coolant
7 years and 450,000KM - G30 - OAT coolant
It’s Phosphate, Amine, Borate, Nitrate and Silicate Free,

I'm running Dex-Cool myself right now, and my car has a cam belt. I replace the cam belt and water pump and coolant every 5 years / 75k miles / 120k KM as a single job. I don't even worry about coolant life, I'm limited by cam belt life.

I use the Toyota long life red coolant in my Lexus 2006 LS 430... Had the timing belt, water pump, etc changed at 86K and my Lexus mechanic in Naples FL told me to go to the red long life and not the super long life pink. He has serviced Lexus's for 20 plus years and said he only saw coolant leaks while the vehicle was using the super long life coolant. He said it was harder on gaskets then the red long life... I am sure either would be fine but I plan on doing my own radiator drain and fills every other year so I do not care if the coolant is rated for 100K miles or 150K miles...

Originally Posted By: nyumski

Oh i see, and all those are meant for using with straight water (tap water) only, right?

Yep - they do market it as "safe" with antifreeze/coolant, but there's really no need.

cheaper to run the factory coolant for 20 years then change it and put a new rad in for $50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back