Toyota i-4s in 93 Camry ---- How durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How tough is this engine? Are they long life engines? I'm thinking of getting a cheap station wagon with this engine with close to 160,000 miles.

Any comments?

we got 300k on a 97 version of your same engine. still runs good actually, no leaks, kinda noisy (crunchy). i put it through a wide range of use when i drive it, even engine braking (its an auto) to keep things even

This would the be 2.2L 4 cylinder 16v engine 5S-FE. My family has a 92 Toyota Camry with the 2.2L. It has 180,500 miles (~290,000 km) still runs great and original transmission. Has rough idling probably needs new engine mounts. Engine is responsive, good fuel economy, reliable. This car is fairly easy to work on. Replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals a while back since they leaked a bit there. Just make sure to clean or replace the pcv value to help keep the EGR from plugging up with carbon buildup. With regular maintenance should last a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

How tough is this engine? Are they long life engines? I'm thinking of getting a cheap station wagon with this engine with close to 160,000 miles.

Any comments?

One of my customers is a home health nurse. She has currenty 420K on her 93wagon. Oil changes,belts,tune-ups and it still only uses 1/2 qt. every 5K miles. The engines are as good as you take care of them. I don't know of an aluminum head engine foreign or domestic that won't blow a head gasket if you run one hot. They are somewhat noisey due to the balance shaft design that runs directly off the crankshaft. The trannies are also pretty solid if serviced and the design lends itself to someone who wants to do their own oil and fluid changes. The oil filter is right out in the open and can be changed without even crawling under the car. The tranny has a drain plug with a 10mm allen head. All you need is approx. 3qts of atf and you are set. Used components for the cars are plentiful and reasonably priced since they have made almost 500 thousand of them a year since the mid-90s. The engines are the same basically from 92-96. Minor head changes began in 97 but the blocks were still interchangeable up to about 99. They have been very reliable are an easy car to sell if you take care of it. Anything else you would like to know about one feel free to PM me.
coffeetime.gif

Celicas and Camry's have fantastic engines. Keep up on your maintainence and you'll be fine. I have 242k on my Celica, and she's running fine.

Celicas are amazingly reliable cars, I see so many of them on the road here falling apart cosmetically but still running strong mechanically. I bet these owners don't know the first thing about maintenance, either. The Celicas have different engines though, but I say go for it
smile.gif

Celica has been #1 on JD Power's list of "most reliable car" more than any other.

FYI - Toyota crosses a lot of their engines between Celica / Camry / Lexus 300 series (Though they run more aggressive fuel maps & different intake in Lexus). I don't believe my 1.8L 7A-FE was used in Camry. I think they used the 2.2L 5S-FE that's in the GT model Celica. Both are fantastic engines, and with proper care will give many years of reliable service.

I have a '93 Camry wagon with the 4 cyl. The engine has been great and VERY easy to maintain and now has 196,000 miles and still runs perfect.

The engine has never been opened and the valves have never even needed an adjustment. The only things done to the engine are:

1) timing belt and pulleys
2) water pump
3) thermostat
4) two engine mounts
5) spark plugs, dist cap, rotor, wires
6) ignition coil
7) lots of oil changes - from 3000 to 5500 miles OCI
8) coolant hoses as a precaution
9) PCV valve
10) change antifreeze

That's it! I do not think this engine is prone to head gasket failures as one post above suggests.

The rest of the car has been even easier:

transimission, NOTHING other than fluid changes
differential, fluid change
Wiper blades replaced
window regulator on driver;s side
door handle on driver's door

That's it.

original muffler and exhaust
all original suspension, including shocks/struts still original

Still runs and drives very, very good and reliable as all heck.

I wish they still made these durable, versatile wagons.

Quote:

Celica has been #1 on JD Power's list of "most reliable car" more than any other.

FYI - Toyota crosses a lot of their engines between Celica / Camry / Lexus 300 series (Though they run more aggressive fuel maps & different intake in Lexus). I don't believe my 1.8L 7A-FE was used in Camry. I think they used the 2.2L 5S-FE that's in the GT model Celica. Both are fantastic engines, and with proper care will give many years of reliable service.

I stand corrected, I thought the Celicas used different motors. Still a great car though. I know someone that had a 2001 or 2002 (don't remember) and it had 100,000 miles on it and wasn't in the shop ONCE. Still ran perfect when he sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back