Toyota Engine recalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
If only 250 had the issue why recall 44k?
So they can inspect them.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by madRiver
Ford sends them (Focus/Fiesta) out the door with broken ones. Oh wait they have some sort of joke warranty on transmissions with no fix.

2012-2016s and only up to 100K miles. Great car with a garbage DCT transmission from a distrustful manufacture.

Did Ford ever come up with a true fix , or have they stopped using that transmission ? I talked myself out of purchasing a used Focus , after I learned of the transmission problems ) .

No, the only thing PowerShift trans owners can do is go in and get the seals and clutch pack replaced and do a TCM relearn (no revisions as far as I know.) But anybody over the warranty period is going to have to shell out a couple thousand dollars out-of-pocket, only to have the issue happen again later down the road.

Originally Posted by wdn
Toyota sells more than 2,000,000 cars a year the US and 250 of them have an issue. That is 1 car affected per 8,000 cars sold.
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Looks like Both Toyota and Honda are struggling with modern engines.

If only 250 had the issue why recall 44k? Plenty of automakers have sophisticated inventory control which allows them to recall only the effected vehicles (ex, 250 specific VINS) vs tens of thousands.

Bcs. they suspect those 44k have same issue.

Originally Posted by wdn
Toyota sells more than 2,000,000 cars a year the US and 250 of them have an issue. That is 1 car affected per 8,000 cars sold.

If only 250 had the issue why recall 44k? Plenty of automakers have sophisticated inventory control which allows them to recall only the effected vehicles (ex, 250 specific VINS) vs tens of thousands.

Toyota has earned their excellent reputation. Maybe it is to make sure?
Last Friday we took our RX in for a recall; they replaced the oil cooler pipe.
They gave us a new ES350 for the weekend.
The coffee was good but the snacks were just OK...

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by wdn

Bcs. they suspect those 44k have same issue.
You know this to be a fact? How? Do you know someone within the Toyota organization that provided you with inside information? No? Then you are just talking out of your @$$ and this is baseless speculation, and Toyota bashing, AGAIN!
Stay out of Toyota threads edy. You never have anything constructive to contribute. Now days every forum has a few corporate shill trolls hanging around, IMO you are one of them.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Toyota has done some research and thinks about 250 are impacted. Which 250 of the 44,000 they do not know, so they have to check all.

Is it 250? 225? 5,123? My guess, they do not know exactly, they did some legwork, estimated the impact to be "around" 250, now they will inspect all 44k. Let's be real, if they could narrow it down to just 250 they would save the coin!

Originally Posted by wag123
You know this to be a fact? How? Do you know someone within the Toyota organization that provided you with inside information? No? Then you are just talking out of your @$$ and this is baseless speculation, and Toyota bashing, AGAIN!
Stay out of Toyota threads edy. You never have anything constructive to contribute. Now days every forum has a few corporate shill trolls hanging around, IMO you are one of them.

So, they recalled 44,000 engines because they felt nostalgia and want to see them in person again? Are they going to have come back party? Is it open for public to admire those marvelous engines before they ship them back to customers? Are actual customers invited to that party?

Originally Posted by supton
I'm guessing Toyota has done some research and thinks about 250 are impacted. Which 250 of the 44,000 they do not know, so they have to check all.

Is it 250? 225? 5,123? My guess, they do not know exactly, they did some legwork, estimated the impact to be "around" 250, now they will inspect all 44k. Let's be real, if they could narrow it down to just 250 they would save the coin!

Exactly. It could be all 44k bcs. there was an issue in manufacturing process during time those engines are made. As you said, it could be 5,123 engines. WHo knows, but if they knew exactly it is 250 and which one are, they would save some money.

Well I see two situations:

1.) Recall 44K cars who used the same faulty batch parts and remedy the situation there. You find out it wasn't 250 cars in that batch, it was really 300. Good thing you decided to recall all those cars.

2.) Recall only the 250 cars you think had the issue. Then you realize that 50 more cars that had the issue and now their families are injured or dead or has to pay $4000 from your faulty part, you're in the middle of a lawsuit, you aren't known for being reliable anymore, and now your sales drop.

Don't be like Ford. Ford decided to not do anything on their crappy Powershift issue and look at the fallout from that.

Last edited:

Everyone needs to do this, as it's not just Edy v. Toyota.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

Well I see two situations:

1.) Recall 44K cars who used the same faulty batch parts and remedy the situation there. You find out it wasn't 250 cars in that batch, it was really 300. Good thing you decided to recall all those cars.

2.) Recall only the 250 cars you think had the issue. Then you realize that 50 more cars that had the issue and now their families are injured or dead or has to pay $4000 from your faulty part, you're in the middle of a lawsuit, you aren't known for being reliable anymore, and now your sales drop.

Don't be like Ford. Ford decided to not do anything on their crappy Powershift issue and look at the fallout from that.

Powershift is not safety issue. Toyota MUST do this recall. This is not optional for Toyota.
If 2nd scenario happened, not only they would be in the middle of lawsuit, but government would go after them too. Better comparison are GM ignition locks and this.
Powershift issue is similar to Toyota 8 speed issue, except 8 speed Aisin did not have problems with design.

Last edited:

Powershift is not safety issue. Toyota MUST do this recall. This is not optional for Toyota.
If 2nd scenario happened, not only they would be in the middle of lawsuit, but government would go after them too. Better comparison are GM ignition locks and this.
Powershift issue is similar to Toyota 8 speed issue, except 8 speed Aisin did not have problems with design.

Except when your trans gives out in the middle of an intersection and corporate knew there were design flaws is not a safety issue, more than this is?

[/quote]

Except when your trans gives out in the middle of an intersection and corporate knew there were design flaws is not a safety issue, more than this is?[/quote]

Another reason you should've bought a maual.

Originally Posted by Olas
Another reason you should've bought a maual.

I got the manual (the 1.0L 6spd manual that we got from you guys across the pond
smile.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Amkeer
Originally Posted by buster
Kudos to Toyota for quickly identifying a problem and taking the necessary steps to remedy it. They did the same with my 2003 Tacoma with the front ball joints because of a slight score in the manufacturing process.

They are good about that. 250 out of the 44,191 is small.

Agreed, and that is why they have retained our business for 35 years.

Toyota also offered an unlimited mileage warranty extension until 10/31/19 for short headlight bulb life (due to a harness issue) on 2010-11 Prius vehicles and a 15-yr unlimited mileage warranty extension on the Gen3 Prius inverters. Which other automakers go out of their way to address issues like this?

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by buster
Kudos to Toyota for quickly identifying a problem and taking the necessary steps to remedy it. They did the same with my 2003 Tacoma with the front ball joints because of a slight score in the manufacturing process.

They are good about that. 250 out of the 44,191 is small.

Agreed, and that is why they have retained our business for 35 years.

Toyota also offered an unlimited mileage warranty extension until 10/31/19 for short headlight bulb life (due to a harness issue) on 2010-11 Prius vehicles and a 15-yr unlimited mileage warranty extension on the Gen3 Prius inverters. Which other automakers go out of their way to address issues like this?

OMG, that is it.
Yes, others do offer various unlimited warranties etc. Actually, many manufacturers do not argue with you when you have issue. My best man had 30+ visits to Toyota for transmission in his HL, and he finally resolved issue: he is selling car.

Originally Posted by Pew

Except when your trans gives out in the middle of an intersection and corporate knew there were design flaws is not a safety issue, more than this is?

Sure, however question is whether government agency is considering that as safety issue. If not, than it is up to manufacturer to recall or not vehicle.
But do not forget, a lot of components can cause loss of power at any moment.
This recall however for Toyota is not optional.

Sure, however question is whether government agency is considering that as safety issue. If not, than it is up to manufacturer to recall or not vehicle.
But do not forget, a lot of components can cause loss of power at any moment.
This recall however for Toyota is not optional.

True. I think the key word in the safety recalls include "fire", in which I do not recall that word being used in the lawsuit for the DCT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back