TOYOTA ECHO

the wife has a 2000 toyota echo with over 100 000 miles and i have never changed the antifreeze ..it is still pink and seems very clean ..i checked the antifreeze and it is still good for -35 f ...don,t know why everybody is so worried about antifreeze ..ps . still running on stock waterpump and still get a lot of heat in the winter ..am i missing something ??????

It may appear good, but best to test it with an acid strip. Chances are the mixture is now a bit on the acidic side. You can get the strips online (can't remember where, its been awhile since I got mine) or just take it to to a shop for a quick test.

Bill in Utah

Staff member
I've got 135k on my factory fill and waiting for some free time to flush it out and put in the Peak Global I bought for my 05 Corolla. But you can not go by looks here. Test it or change it! Bill

JHZR2

Staff member
Modern antifreezes are all good for 100k I believe. I don't know of any manufacturers that don't have a coolant that is roughly that use interval.

Originally Posted By: browning300wsm
the wife has a 2000 toyota echo with over 100 000 miles and i have never changed the antifreeze ..it is still pink and seems very clean ..i checked the antifreeze and it is still good for -35 f ...don,t know why everybody is so worried about antifreeze ..ps . still running on stock waterpump and still get a lot of heat in the winter ..am i missing something ??????
No, you are not missing anything... but chances are you are headed towards something. Check the maintenance schedule for your vehicle... I think you will find that you are LONG past the antifreeze change date.

browning300wsm

ok changed the antifreeze this morning ...no big deal ..used GLOBAL ANTIFREEZE [OEM] for all makes good for 5 years or 250 000 kilometers ..bought the antifreeze at CANADIAN TIRE ...

Originally Posted By: browning300wsm
ok changed the antifreeze this morning ...no big deal ..used GLOBAL ANTIFREEZE [OEM] for all makes good for 5 years or 250 000 kilometers ..bought the antifreeze at CANADIAN TIRE ...
Now don't you feel warm and fuzzy knowing you have fresh antifreeze?

browning300wsm

Originally Posted By: paul246
Did you use distilled water?.... or is the stuff you used a premix formula?
i used rain water that i collect in a 45 gallon barrel .i filter it through a fine filter mesh and use it to water the garden .i alway's have a gallon on hand for the car. i do not use premix formula ...