Toyota drops plan to build Prius in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
From today's Automotive News:

Toyota halts U.S. Prius project

NASHVILLE -- Toyota Motor Corp., with its sales plunging in the United States, is freezing its plan to build the Toyota Prius in a new plant near Tupelo, Miss. For how long? The automaker doesn't know.
Toyota's board in Japan reached the decision late today to halt the project "due to the steep decline" in U.S. sales.
Sales of the hybrid car have softened in recent weeks as gasoline prices dropped from a summer spike of more than $4 a gallon. The Prius sold 8,660 units in November, down from 16,737 in November 2007.
Total Toyota sales in the United States fell 32 percent in November.
This is the second time Toyota has changed plans on the $1.3 billion Mississippi project, which already has begun to draw component suppliers to the area.
In February 2007, Toyota announced it would spend $1.3 billion there to produce a new generation of Highlander crossovers. But after Toyota broke ground, SUV sales began to soften. In July of this year, Toyota said it instead would build the Prius there.
A spokeswoman for Toyota's North American manufacturing operations says the company will continue constructing the building, which is about 90 percent complete. The company made its decision today before it had begun ordering the equipment that would go into the plant.
Toyota has no timetable to resume the project, the spokeswoman says, but it will remain a Prius factory whenever the project restarts.

Quote:
Sales of the hybrid car have softened in recent weeks as gasoline prices dropped from a summer spike of more than $4 a gallon. The Prius sold 8,660 units in November, down from 16,737 in November 2007.
Total Toyota sales in the United States fell 32 percent in November.

Waiting for all the bashing of Toyota because they didn't have the vision to make the correct car in these economic times and the coming of low gas prices...
crackmeup2.gif

If Toyota is begging the Japanese goverment for bailout money, it's the Japanese citizens' job to gripe about Toyota, not ours. Their lack of vision has far less impact on us than GM's.

Actually they are smart for stopping... Don't want another Big-3 catastrophe do we?

They will be one of the few survivors of this lean competitive economy...

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Actually they are smart for stopping... Don't want another Big-3 catastrophe do we?

They will be one of the few survivors of this lean competitive economy...

wink.gif

I agree that they are smart for stopping. They see the gas prices and economy on the wall. I wonder if we will see the same support of the Big 3 for making profitable cars that take advantage of the low gas prices?

Somehow I doubt it. There will still be mass calls to increase the gas tax and mandate econo box roller skates in order to save the planet or some such.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
If Toyota is begging the Japanese goverment for bailout money, it's the Japanese citizens' job to gripe about Toyota, not ours. Their lack of vision has far less impact on us than GM's.

The millions of dollars in tax incentives given by the government doesn't give us a right to question their judgement?

I want the Dodge Omni back... This car was dependable, good on gas and was American... First one to bring back this style of car i'm sure would make a killing.

This is the Stuff that saved Chrysler... "They" were building what people wanted....

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Originally Posted By: ViragoBry

The millions of dollars in tax incentives given by the government doesn't give us a right to question their judgement?

If we're giving them tax breaks before they've actually executed the plan that the breaks were offered to attract, who's fault is that?

Long term, it could be a winner both ways - employ Americans (so we are happy with Toyota), and make fuel efficient cars for when prices pop back up, which they will...

That said, if they cant justify it with short term sales, likely the real estate, workforce and plans for the plant arent going anywhere...

sounds like smart management, doesn't want to go bankrupt. they will sell lots of toyota cars that are built in japan, because the Quality Control is excellent, and the product is excellent, the company will still survive.

i also want the dodge omni back, except i found it was very easy to lose control of it in the winter, a berm of snow would throw it into an irreversible skid and end up in ditch. i now know that the right thing to do is put it in neutral, and always use 4 snow tires in front drive, especially standards. engine braking on the front wheels in that car always meant it was going in the ditch.

Well gas will go up at some point. Japanese toyotas have better quality than US made Toyotas, IMO.

An Omni back with today's technology would outlast Toyota's for sure... hehehe Those cars were awesome, even if crazy in the snow!

Originally Posted By: c502cid
OK, as long as we make apologies for Toyota I'm ok with it.

Yeah I hear you. This board is so foriegn car biased I think I am on a Consumer Reports website sometimes!

Yeah, bring back the Omni or the K-Car....they deserved a lot more credit than they got/get for being sturdy, simple, dependable transportation.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back