Toyota dealer won't change both 'O' rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched carefully as my local Toyota dealer changed the oil and filter on my 09 Rav4 V6 Sport the other day. I'm still trying to find a canister wrench that fits so I can do it myself (and change to synthetic).

Looked pretty fast. I asked the guy doing it if he changed both 'O' rings and he says they never change the small one and they never drain out the filter housing first before removing the canister.

I asked "Never? You never change the small 'O' ring?" He replied "Never". I asked "Have you ever had a failure of that small 'O' ring due to age? Like on older vehicles?" He said "Never".

So I never have to change the small 'O' ring when I do it myself, right? What do you think?

German cars come with all of the orings, so they are replaced every time.

Ive seen that for the most part, this is unnecessary. That said, I do it anyway, for completeness.

I'd definitely want it to be done every so often.

I would have insisted both O rings be changed. What possible reason could the tech guy have for not changing the other O ring?

Lazyness maybe.

Don't both O rings come with the filter?

Originally Posted By: ShifterStang
I'm still trying to find a canister wrench that fits so I can do it myself (and change to synthetic).
Try this one. I bought it to service my sister's '08 RAV4 and B-I-L's '09 Corolla and it works fine on both spin-on filters and cartridge filter caps. Got it at my FLAPS.

I use a standard strap filter wrench on my '07 V6 Rav4, but I use a piece of cardboard between the filter canister and wrench strap. This does not allow the wrench to slip or damage the cast aluminum canister. The cardboard is long enough to wrap around the canister and a couple inches wide.

The wrench has a 3/8" socket square for a ratchet extension that allows me to use my torque wrench to tighten the canister to the proper torque spec.

SS:

Do you want to be the one who established the fail point for that disposable O-ring. The small cover on our Avalon is stuck at the moment, so I'm going to do an OCI or two like that dealer. But that won't be a permanent thing...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
German cars come with all of the orings, so they are replaced every time.

Ive seen that for the most part, this is unnecessary. That said, I do it anyway, for completeness.

I'd definitely want it to be done every so often.

This is exactly how I feel. If I was having someone else do the oil change, I wouldn't mind at all if they didn't replace the small drain plug o-ring. Less chance of it being pinched or compromised, and there is a very, very small chance of it failing due to age. That said, I change it when I do my own oil changes, simply because a new one is supplied with the new filter, and I can take the time and care to make sure it is installed properly myself.

A good AP store has the correct cap filter cup (74/76mm) with a 3/8 drive. I change both O-Rings every time and feel that is why they are provided with each filter I've bought (WIX & OEM & MC). Probable OK to not change the small on on the drain screw every time but, maybe every 2nd or third time. JMO

RF Overlord: I think I finally have a canister remover that fits. Dealer had no clue, of course. I would have paid the dealer way more than I should have to get a factory unit. All he said was their techs buy theirs from Snap-on.

My dealer does remove the drain plug and drain it out, if anyone is wondering.

Craig

If that '09 Rav is the same as an '07, V6, it's 64mm.
You bet I change both o-rings. I also torque them to 12.5 Newtons for the little one and 25 Newtons for the large one on the canister.

I don't. Serves no purpose and is a waste of time to 'drain' a filter prior to removal. It'll drain when I remove it just as well.

Some PN's to search for:
09228-06500-02
09228-06501
ast toy-640
k-d tools 3253

Originally Posted By: ted s
dont understand why the trend back to canister filters.

It must be environmental.

No, there's two O-rings that are involved in the cartridge style oil filter. One is large and keeps the oil in the canister. The other is a small o-ring designed to seal the gimmicky oil filter drain. Kind of a hokey design and that's why the discussion. I just feel terrified of those unchanged O-rings getting hard, tearing and allowing oil to lubricate the road.

What about the other unchanged orings sealing other areas of the car? are they failing and spilling onto the road?

unmolested, an oring will seal for a very long time, not really anything to worry about.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
What about the other unchanged orings sealing other areas of the car? are they failing and spilling onto the road?

unmolested, an oring will seal for a very long time, not really anything to worry about.

But can we count on the filter maker, who assumes that the O-ring will be installed for only a small fraction of the car's life (one OCI), to make the "changeable" O-rings of the same quality material as the ones that are intended to last the life of the car?

Quote:
dont understand why the trend back to canister filters.

Toyota says it's to decrease landfill volume... elements are fit for biomass power plants with no intermediate operation (cutting & disposing of can, etc).

I still hate Toyota's implementation. I do like the EcoTec and Hyundai V6 style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back