Toyota Camry / Nissan Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Camrys counterpart is the Maxima, not the Altima.

Between the two I'll take the Maxima - no drum brakes no timing belts.

I have had a 95 maxima, and 99 ES300 Lexus(camry) a Lexus RX400H and an infinityG35- so I've had a bunch of both vehicles.

The Nissans have held up every bit as well as my Toyota product and have required less maintenance (timing belts).

My Nissan products have had more soul than my Toyota products.

UD

Toyota or Honda.

Never buy the first year of a new design.

"Soul" doesn't get you from point A to point B. Toyota does.

Sierra, in almost every post you've been concerned over the Nissan's CVT and/or warranty work, so that's clearly against getting the Nissan.
I tend to go with these guys:

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Check out a certified used 2015-2017 Camry first before looking at the new ones. The 2018 Camry is the first year of a new generation. ...

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The Camry is a great choice.
Don't overlook the ... Mazda 6.

For reliability, you can't beat a couple of years old Camry, with the proven 6 speed transmission and NA engine.

You may want to check out a Mazda (3 is less expensive than 6). They are quite a bit more fun to drive, same reliability as Toyota (almost); I have a friend who has had three, and all were bulletproof even though he does very little maintenance.

Chev Impala with 3.6 V6 does not have stop/start, has 305 hp, and gets decent gas mileage. Reliability ratings are decent too. I may be biased... but loving our Impala so far.

Altima is great if you are going to lease it. Now if you want a reliable car that you want to own it for a long time go for the Camry.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
The Camrys counterpart is the Maxima, not the Altima.

Between the two I'll take the Maxima - no drum brakes no timing belts.

I have had a 95 maxima, and 99 ES300 Lexus(camry) a Lexus RX400H and an infinityG35- so I've had a bunch of both vehicles.

The Nissans have held up every bit as well as my Toyota product and have required less maintenance (timing belts).

My Nissan products have had more soul than my Toyota products.

No, it's the Altima and always has been. And you can't get a new 4cyl Camry with drum brakes or a timing belt. They have changed quite a bit since the 1999 ES300 that you used to have. That was almost 20 years ago. The new Maximas are heavy and the CVT or something else seems to rob all the power from it. It lost it's soul a long time ago. Probably some 20 years ago.

No belts any longer. About 18 years ago they did. I think the V6 still has a belt but the 4 cylinders do not. They were non-interference engines when they had them so no harm if they broke.

Camry has a chain on all engines offered. Of the two you're considering the Toyota would be my choice, appliance or not. You may be quite surprised how far four cylinders and auto transmissions have come....a Pinto they are NOT!

This may sound silly but pay attention to which car is the easiest to get in and out of. I say this because you're used to something taller and larger. I had a new BMW 5 series as a loaner and it was quite difficult to get in & out of without whacking your head. Camry and Accord were no problem at all. I'm 6' tall so pretty average.

As much as I really like my 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 se coupe with 234k miles...

I agree with the guys on this.... Go with a Toyota. The newer Nissan vehicles have had their share of issues.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

This may sound silly but pay attention to which car is the easiest to get in and out of. I say this because you're used to something taller and larger. I had a new BMW 5 series as a loaner and it was quite difficult to get in & out of without whacking your head. Camry and Accord were no problem at all. I'm 6' tall so pretty average.

Not silly and this is a huge factor in picking a car for me. Also, overall comfort.

Since this is supposed to be a financial decision, look into a Sonata.

Could pick up a used Sonata for a fraction of the cost of a new Camry.

Camry vs Altima.

Camry hands down. New Camry looks very sharp. Plus if you are worry about power, V6 is fantastic.
My wife had 2011 Camry for 5 years since new. It was 4 cylinder but never had problem.

Have you check KBB or used car value for both of cars after years?

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
I would never buy a Nissan again, especially an Altima. I would definitely go with the Toyota.

I've worked on enough Nissans to realize they're [censored] over the years and Nissan never owns up to their issues. You pay out of pocket for every defect.
* Defective intake manifold gasket on some model year Altimas that virtually everyone experienced? No recall, have fun paying out of pocket for that insanity where the engine has to be almost removed to get access to the intake manifold studs.
* Floorboards, front and rear subframes completely rusting out (even in California)? No recall, weld your own floorboards suckers.
* Melting dashboards in Altimas? No recall, in fact not even a warranty replacement until they got sued. Then they offered to pay all but 250 for their cheap, [censored] materials choice.
* Leaking oil coolers on multiple Nissan and Infiniti models due to poorly designed o-ring (that they superceded with a new part number by the way)? No recall, have fun losing almost half a quart over a few days, until you change it out yourself. Hope you're checking your dipstick too.
* Defective CVTs in virtually every model? I'm not aware of anyone who had a Sentra or Rogue that didn't have a CVT that exploded inside.

The kicker was all of these were consistent (as in virtually everyone experienced them) and they were safety issues. They turned into a [censored] company with [censored] business practices that I wouldn't give a dime to. I couldn't care less whether their recent cars are any good, their corporate credibility is shot in my book. Plenty of good brands to choose from.

I think they tried to compete with Toyota and Honda but could not beat them at their own game of making a simple high quality car, maybe there was not enough room in the market or they did not have good brand perception. I always thought of Mazda, Subaru and Nissan as second tier Japanese brands, better than Mitsubishi and Hyundai (Korean, I know) but not better than Honda or Toyota.

They went really flashy in the mid 2000s, and their V6 engines were seen as the best on the market. They probably had the best styling in the mid-late 2000s. I think they got really popular because they had good styling and powerful V6s for less than a comparable Honda or Toyota. I think the rode the popularity of the Skyline and 240 during the ricer era through the 2000s. Now I think they are back to where they started from, and trying to ride the wave of light duty diesel pickups with a truck that isn't really a light duty diesel truck.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Since this is supposed to be a financial decision, look into a Sonata.

Could pick up a used Sonata for a fraction of the cost of a new Camry.

Wow! What a difference six hours make. Mrs. Sierra048 just got a call from her sister. My FIL in Florida has bladder and pacreatic cancer. He was rushed to the hospital yesterday but we thought it was because he wasn't eating and was getting weak. They are talking hospice now. Now my MIL is a basket case with worry and in poor health herself. Both are in their late eighties. She was just telling my wife that they really don't need their car anymore since neither can drive. It's a 2016 Sonata that replaced a Honda CRV he totaled in an accident two years ago. I may hold off until I see what they want to do. I'm not real familiar with Hyundai. And please understand, their well-being takes precedent over any other factors at this point. Especially any car, or to be more specific, their car. Thanks for all the great input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back