toyota 5w-20 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I asked some other forums but I should have just asked here first. A family member gave me 24 quarts of Toyota 5w-20 that he bought from a friend at a Toyota dealership. The reason I'm hesitant is because it says 1988on the front label but it also has a qr code that someone pointed out.

Should I get rid of it or is it fine to use? I have a 08 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 and a 07 V6 camry. My mom has a early 90's Camry 4cyl that I thought of using it also on.

The SM spec came in about 2004 and I guess 5W/20 in that grade a bit later than that. The 1988 date refers to something else like the design layout or the Toyota word on the label..

Yes, that is just the Copyright of the label(art work)
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
The SM spec came in about 2004 and I guess 5W/20 in that grade a bit later than that. The 1988 date refers to something else like the design layout or the Toyota word on the label..

Agreed.
I'm sorry but that is pretty funny.
The 1988 part

So you guys think it should be fine to use on my cars? I was going to just get rid of the oil but I started reading a few threads here and people kept saying how good Toyota 5w-20 is so I thought of seeing if I should just use it in my cars.

I forgot to mention he also gave me 3 bottles that had 2010 as the year.
I just changed the oil on my Sequoia a week ago and it says in the manual that it requires "ISLAC" grade oil but these bottles don't say that.

I see it has an SM rating, so if your manual says it is OK, then use it. Probably a very good oil that I'd use in any case if the viscosity is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back