Toyota 5.7 V8. Best to stick with Toyota 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lexus LX570 which has the same V8 as the 2007+ Tundra/Sequoia 5.7L.

Currently using the OEM Lexus/Toyota 0W-20 synthetic. Are there any compelling reasons to try a different brand of 0W-20 or 0W-30?

Also, I am at ~60k miles and I know the PO often used the Toyota 5W-20 non-synthetic. Should I do an AutoRX or some other type of internal clean/flush?

Technically you can use any viscosity you want but I would stick with any 0w2/5w20 until at least 100k miles or more. I still believe jumping up a grade in a high mileage vehicle is often a good idea, especially if driven a bit hard.

I have a Tundra with the 5.7 and 138k miles and have been running a combination of mostly M1, with sporadic PP,PU, and have recently switched to QSUD. I have nothing negative to report with these choices whatsoever. The Toyota synthetic 0-20 from the reports I have seen here seems to be a good oil. Other than the price of the oils I listed possibly being cheaper I cannot see any benefit or detriment to switching.

Originally Posted By: buster
Technically you can use any viscosity you want but I would stick with any 0w2/5w20 until at least 100k miles or more. I still believe jumping up a grade in a high mileage vehicle is often a good idea, especially if driven a bit hard.

My plan is to stick with a 0W oil for the sub-zero cold starts that the truck sees from time to time.

Is there a synthetic 0W-20 or 0W-30 with ultra-strong detergent properties that I could use as a 'flush' cycle?

Toyota 0w-20 is a VERY good oil, its one of the best 0w-20 available. However it is $7/qt vs M1 0w-20 $5/qt vs PP $4.50/qt vs QSUD $4.20/qt

Originally Posted By: ringmaster
Originally Posted By: buster

My plan is to stick with a 0W oil for the sub-zero cold starts that the truck sees from time to time.

Is there a synthetic 0W-20 or 0W-30 with ultra-strong detergent properties that I could use as a 'flush' cycle?

I would use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 or Mobil 1 0w20.

Quote:
I would use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 or Mobil 1 0w20.

Both of those seem to be very highly rated. Is there anything to suggest that they have better cleaning/detergent properties when compared to the Toyota 0W20? Do you think there are other advantages to be gained? The small +/- cost difference isn't a factor.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back