Toyota 3.5L V6 Piston Slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
friendly-jacek, pretty sure I came across your recording during my extensive internet search trying to self-diagnose the noise. My highlander sounds somewhat similar though not nearly as loud from what I can tell on your video. Yours really does sound like a diesel! You really have to have the radio off and stop talking to hear it in mine. My guess is that your RAV4 is still running well otherwise right?

Originally Posted By: Drew1977
My guess is that your RAV4 is still running well otherwise right?

Correct. I posted some polls on various toyota forums and the consensus was the noise was harmless, even though it gets worse with time in the minority of people.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: strat81

I went from 5W-30 to 0W-40 in my GM 5.3 piston slapper. It helped reduce the noise, but it did not eliminate it.

Highway fuel economy has not been negatively impacted with the heavier oil. City fuel economy has always been terrible, especially in the winter.

I'd go thicker then. I'd try 15W-40 or 20W-50 and see what happens.

I have a jug of Maxlife 10W-40 ready for the next oil change which should happen in a month or two.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's just a Toyota thing. My 4Runner sounded that way and it ran like a top. My fiance's Highlander has sounded that way since 70,000 miles and it's currently at just over 140,000 miles with no issues.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Does yours sound like this:

Thats what my 2.4 Accord sounds like, but only at 1500 rpm and below. Its loudest at 1200 and below, and becomes quiet after 7 miles or so of driving.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
10w30 should help the noise

There, fixed it for you. It wont help wear, its probably doing more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back