Toyota 2GR-FKS spark plug replacement

Yeah, but Toyota. If it was VW that charged $800 it would be: of course. But, Toyota? That is normal, expected. Same with brake booster replacement at 120k.
120K service for the 2GR-FKS requires a vacuum pump replacement, not the booster.

Is everyone young doing this work? Don’t worry it will be years before the back gives out and surgery is required. I can’t imagine bending over a hood or fender and working in the back like that. I think I would buy a new car rather than that. If there were any for sale. in-line engine only, preferably with cam in block and hydraulic lifters. I guess that no longer exists.

Is everyone young doing this work? Don’t worry it will be years before the back gives out and surgery is required. I can’t imagine bending over a hood or fender and working in the back like that. I think I would buy a new car rather than that. If there were any for sale. in-line engine only, preferably with cam in block and hydraulic lifters. I guess that no longer exists.
I suppose. This job isn’t super back strenuous compared to some other ones….like Honda V6 valve adjustments on the Odysseys.

They probably will last 100k with no problem, though, even though Toyota recommends 60k. Hopefully, NGK will come out with a ruthenium for the FKS soon
I think 45-60K spark plug replacement even with precious metals on xGDI is a thing these days. It’s just the nature of the beast. Especially on boosted engines.

There's several great videos on changing Toyota V6 spark plugs. You're gonna need a few semi-special tools. I'm about to do this on my 2015 Lexus RX350. I figure it's going to be a 2+ hour job. I'm slow at these things like this and very careful. I figure if I spend a couple extra hours of my time being careful, it's a lot better than a $200 tow truck and who knows how much to fix a screw up, I'm good.

I figure this is a $500 job at a dealer, $400 at an independent garage, using Toyota OEM parts. I'm going to have less than $200 in it with 3 new coils, 6 Denso plugs, plenum gasket kit and throttle body gasket. Plus I know it's done right (hopefully).

There's several great videos on changing Toyota V6 spark plugs. You're gonna need a few semi-special tools. I'm about to do this on my 2015 Lexus RX350. I figure it's going to be a 2+ hour job. I'm slow at these things like this and very careful. I figure if I spend a couple extra hours of my time being careful, it's a lot better than a $200 tow truck and who knows how much to fix a screw up, I'm good.

I figure this is a $500 job at a dealer, $400 at an independent garage, using Toyota OEM parts. I'm going to have less than $200 in it with 3 new coils, 6 Denso plugs, plenum gasket kit and throttle body gasket. Plus I know it's done right (hopefully).
There is no need to replace the coils.

Just be careful with unclipping the coil pack connectors. Those tend to crumble as they get older. The trick is to not push down on the tab...

There is no need to replace the coils.

Just be careful with unclipping the coil pack connectors. Those tend to crumble as they get older. The trick is to not push down on the tab...

I'm replacing the rear 3. I bought this thing used, 163k miles on it and not much has been done other than oil changes. I'm not wanting to go back in after 30k miles and HAVE to replace a coil or two from excessive wear due to the plugs not being changed on time.

I appreciate the advice, I have for years liked to read your posts.

Hey gang,

I just thought I'd give you an update. I got all the plugs changed and it's humming right along. I thought I'd share pics of the old plugs. Again, this is a '17 Highlander with 60,000 miles and has the 3.5L with start/stop (2GR-FKS engine). One plug in particular looks pretty bad.

65052882462__8C90419B-D4FD-4EAB-B0BA-14A54C7843B6.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg

That is pretty typical for them. How long did it take you?
A long time! Just over 2.5 hours because I was going meticulously step by step with a video and had to walk away from it a few times due to an endless stream of honey-dos.:ROFLMAO: I bet had I just been able to focus on it I'd have knocked it out in half the time and now that I've done it once I could probably do it in an hour. I think the crucial items are: covering the intake and throttle body to avoid contamination, being darn sure not to over-torque the plastic intake penlum on reinstall, and same for the bolt on the plastic coils.

I appreciate the info provided in this community and vote of confidence. I saved about $600 doing this job myself and I couldn't be happier about that. Kudos to The Car Care Nut on YouTube as well for making such a great video on this job.

Last edited:
Back