Toyota 2azfe 2.4L 4 cyl just added piston oil sprayers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Toyota supra turbo engine 2JZ-GTE has piston squirters, and the non-turbo 2JZ-GE, does not. I think it would be used, based on most turbo engines having them and the non-turbo counterpart not, to cool down pistons to allow for more timing, more power, or more mistakes.

That said, most NA-T guys don't worry about oil squirters.

My 4.0L Jeep engine has a oil "sprayer" hole drilled into the bottom end of each connecting rod.When the piston is TDC pressurized oil is sprayed on the walls and piston bottom via normal engine oil pressure off the crank.They have been doing this for years on these engines
dunno.gif
grin.gif

GM did produce some data on the Northstar and piston oilers. There claim was that they could run an extra 3 degrees spark advancd and got either 18 more horse power or footpounds of torque, I can remember which. I think that piston oilers help absorb some of the thermal shock when a high performance engine is put under sudden heavy loads, and again when a heavy load is reduced, say after a hot lap, back to idle. We've seen this in the reduction of wrist pin scoring, when we've changed the oil flow to the piston oilers. Another interesting thing we discovered while tuning piston oilers on an engine, was the ability of Red Line oil to absorb heat better than other conventional oils or PAO synthetics, in high stress application. We also discovered that piston oilers in our application added less windage problems than thinner oils did.

Is it possible they're doing this to be able to get more timing advance and therefore power/economy without having to sell a Camry that needs premium gas?

Volvo added piston oil squirters across the board ( na and turbo versions) to the 2.3L redblock 4 cyl motors in '93 because they were having problems with the pistons melting in the turbo models.

Maybe Toyota is bringing out a turbo 4 banger Camry and tC.

I wonder if Toyota is doing this across the board on there latest motors? I see they are using it on the 06 4.0 V6 motor also. Apparently they have a check valve in them to shut them down in a low oil pressure situation.

Many valvetrain parts are splash lubed - cams, followers, chains, and the valves themselves.
Piston pins, pistons,and distributor gears and shafts also are not pressure fed.
Look at 99% of manual transmissions/transaxles - every bearing and gear is splash lubed!

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
My 4.0L Jeep engine has a oil "sprayer" hole drilled into the bottom end of each connecting rod.When the piston is TDC pressurized oil is sprayed on the walls and piston bottom via normal engine oil pressure off the crank.They have been doing this for years on these engines
dunno.gif
grin.gif

That is not quite the same set up. Chevy did this in their 1955-1967 SBC also.

The oil jets were talking about are a much more constant flow precision set up. They work by aiming the oil shot directly dead center of the piston at the under side of the piston deck. They operate independently from crank rotation.

My guess is so that the engines will last longer with the optional supercharger, or so the supercharger can run more boost safely.

The Toyota 1FZ-FE 4.5L I-6 has had oil sprayers since its inception in 1993,

They are mounted on the block at the bottom of the cylinder pointing up at the piston, they contain spring loaded ball valve that turns of the flow when oil pressure is low (idle)

The engine also has a high volume oil pump and an integral large water cooled oil cooler on the side of the block (larger than those found on most Toyota trucks)

Turbo Camry? That would be great.

I think it is done for the tC for it to be more mod-friendly.

quote:

Originally posted by Sumerduckman:

Rented a 2007 4 cylinder Camry from a dealership for a drive to Canada and back, and took a peek under the hood. A 'lot of room' in the front of that engine bay around the exhaust manifold if you know what I mean
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GarrettSocling:

quote:

Rented a 2007 4 cylinder Camry from a dealership for a drive to Canada and back, and took a peek under the hood. A 'lot of room' in the front of that engine bay around the exhaust manifold if you know what I mean
wink.gif

Hmmm...maybe they built it with the "Fast and Furious" crowd in mind.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

quote:

wink.gif

Hmmm...maybe they built it with the "Fast and Furious" crowd in mind.
grin.gif

Or maybe they are looking into their corporate crystal ball.

It could be telling them to improve the dull/boring/stodgy product image they have with some folks. My wife's '03 CamrySE has the 5spd trans, and she would have jumped on a turbo model.

Or maybe planning for the near future to base a platform on just one motor only, na and turbo, and dump the V6 in the Camry and others.

May also be for the Euro market where ev concerns and taxes are based on engine size/displacement.

Could be all of the above.

quote:

quote:

wink.gif

offtopic.gif
How was fuel economy on this highway run?

My OM617 MB turbodiesel has them... nothing new, and it would get me 30 MPG.

The toyota 2.4L engine, if anything like the one in my father's 94 toyota previa, is a great engine for longevity, decent economy and half decent performance (considering that people think you need a v6 or v8 to have 'pickup').

I can only imagine that the engine was well designed before. Whats the deal with 400F oil temperatures. Does the 4 cyl engine have a sludging issue too???

I know that TRD sells a supercharger for the tC. I can imagine that if this is a popular option, that it would help for longevity, and be an extra plus for longevity for those without a supercharger.

Maybe theyve just reduced their engine cost to build so much that they could add this and still have a lower cost than in the past... maybe they build the engines in china now? After all, unlike the bad big 3, toyota does goo things out of the goodness of their hearts, right?

one way or another, its a good addition.

JMH

[ June 26, 2006, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

FYI...
The newer 2AZ 2.4 engine's comression ratio was increased from 9.6 to 9.8. Could be part of the reason the sprayers were added. Here at work, we just throw in 5w20 (dino), because we charge a crapload for toyota's brand 0w20 (syn).

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back