Toyota 0W-20 Black Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I tend to do that. Especially with all the time I've had lately.

That's what we're here for.

I almost hate to say it, but deep down I know that any name brand 0W-20 will likely give a it long, happy engine life. I don't think the I-4 in my truck has any special lubricant requirements..it has roller cam followers and all that...and FWIW, Toyota spokesman was bold enough to say on national TV a couple years ago, that their products were currently designed for 300,000 miles...
(if your accelerator don't stick and wipe you out hehee...OK, I added that part)

But I paid for lots of moly. I want it, or I'll buy another oil for less. (and proably drive the wheels off it anyway)

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I tend to do that. Especially with all the time I've had lately.

That's what we're here for.

But I paid for lots of moly. I want it, or I'll buy another oil for less. (and proably drive the wheels off it anyway)

That's how I feel, I can get Mobil 1 0w20 anywhere. If the VOA shows the Toyota oil to be re-labeled M1 0W20 it is absolutely pointless to buy it from Toyota. My gut tells me that's all the Black Bottle is. I hope I'm wrong. We all tend to obsess here. I'm guilty as charged.

I sent a sample the WearCheck last Monday. Yesterday they emailed me with info on my new online account...so I should get the test results any day now.

But I paid for lots of moly. I want it, or I'll buy another oil for less.

For me there are four reasons why I really like the Toyota 0w20, it's got a very low viscosity at 40c, a real huge dose of moly, a real nice dose of boron and at only $5.65 per liter up here it's way less than Mobil 1 0w20 (which sells for almost $10 per liter!)

So I really hope our Toyota dealers up here keep selling the current 0w20 they have now and don't jack up the price either. I think I might just have to buy a couple of cases of this oil just to be on the safe side!

I paid $4.85/Qt for the new black label.
At that price, I don't think I'll be disappointed in the VOA.
But I am indeed very excited to see the results. It will dictate my OCI going forward. Not by much, but we'll see.

I can get M1 for cheaper than my local dealer sells it.
M1 is pretty high in Canada. Wow.

Anyway, the huge dose of moly is what I'm testing for...Since they changed to the USA made black bottle supplied by Mobil from the Japan made red bottle that we have VOAs on here at the site.

It ain't standard Mobil 1. Look at that moly:

ToyotaBlackBottle-1.jpg

Thanks for doing this! Looks very similar to the old (red) bottle formula with high moly and high VI, differences are seems in the range of lab and sample variation. This is not the same as the big name 0W-20's and certainly very different from the M1 0W-20.

I just put this black bottle 0W-20 in my new Prius (at 5,100 miles) and I'm going to run it for the Toyota recommended OCI of 10,000 miles.

Rumple

Your welcome. I wanted to know, too, because I'm running this in my Tacoma, and have 7 more qts in my stash.
...Yeah, it looks like this newer made in USA "black bottle" is very similar to the Japanese made red bottle.

A pleasant surprise. Thanks for posting!

Pleasant indeed.
I went out and bought some more this morning.
19.gif

River_Rat thanks for posting and thanks in particular for the more comprehensive report including the 40C vis spec.

The Moly level seems a bit low (as great as it is) and I think it will be higher in BruceT's Dyson Analysis report when he posts it.

The viscosities are a bit high but Wearcheck always seems to read on the high side. The VI is consistent with what Toyota claims for the oil.

On balance I'd say there's no significant difference between the Nippon Oil and the Mobil versions of the Toyota oil as far as their VOA spec's are concerned. Nor is there much difference to the Honda 0W-20 made by Idemitsu.

The real test will be to see which of these three oils holds up best in service.

river rat, thanks for posting.

I was just checking the VOA of the Red Bottle Oil versus the new Black Bottle Oil.

The Toyota Red Bottle does have more:

1) Boron = 184 compared to the Black Bottles 75
2) Barium = 14 compared to the Black Bottles 0
3) Moly = 1200 compared to the Black Bottles 656
4) Magnesium = 17 compared to the Black Bottles 11
5) Phos = 900 compared to the Black Bottles 814

The Toyota Black Bottle does have more:

1) Calcium = 2356 compared to the Red Bottles 1809
2) Zinc = 814 compared to the Red Bottles 17
3) Sulfur = 3937 compared to the Red Bottles 3258

The Viscosity Index and the 40 Degree Celcius Numbers seem fairly close.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The real test will be to see which of these three oils holds up best in service.

Ya. I'd like to get a UOA done this summer.

Originally Posted By: c3po
river rat, thanks for posting.

I was just checking the VOA of the Red Bottle Oil versus the new Black Bottle Oil.

The Toyota Red Bottle does have more:
[numbers and stuff]

OK. I was going by memeorty...thanks for the data.
Still, I'm very happy with the VOA of this oil. Probably run it for a few changes and get some UOAs in the long run.

Still, I'm very happy with the VOA of this oil

I agree, I think this VOA on the Black Bottle is very good.

Your welcome. I wanted to know, too, because I'm running this in my Tacoma, and have 7 more qts in my stash.
...Yeah, it looks like this newer made in USA "black bottle" is very similar to the Japanese made red bottle.

Excellent! Thank you. I was getting all nervous.
Feeling better now. Got 8 more quarts, so I'm set for the rest of the year, but maybe I'll get more and store it. Can't wait for your UOA, what mileage are you dumping at?

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Can't wait for your UOA, what mileage are you dumping at?

5000, because of warranty. Usually change it twice a year, regardless and it will be lower mileage by June, unfortunately but it should still have some comparison for looking at.

Great. Me too, but it will be a bit. I'm at 1500 now.
Was running RP 5w20, but the butt dyno hasn't registered any changes.

I thought the butt dyno registered just a little more hill pulling at highway speed w/RP, but I'm pretty sure it was my wallet telling my butt to read high to justify the money I spent.
...Still, I do like RP a lot and have quite a bit of it in my oil stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back