Toyota 0W-20 Black Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm patiently waiting on the side line. It seems that the US Black Bottle is made by Mobil, the US red bottle is made by Nippon oil, at least that is was my understanding.

Reason I'm holding off is because I have a feeling since Mobil is now making it for Toyota {US} it is repackaged Mobil 1 0W20. It probably doesn't have the high moly the red bottle has, and is completely different oil, very similar to M1 0W20. I'm hoping that I'm wrong and the black bottle is very close to the red bottle.

My guess is the VOA you are referring to will be purchased in the US? Very confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am curious now, too.
I have some USA "black bottle" I bought a few months ago from the dealer.
I will send in a sample for a VOA and post it here.
Stay tuned.

Rob

Nope. It does say made in USA though, and says made to Toyota specs.
Part number on the bottle is 00279-0WQTE.

Even if it's Mobil 1, that's fine with me, but I'd like all that moly. We'll see when I get the test done.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm patiently waiting on the side line. It seems that the US Black Bottle is made by Mobil, the US red bottle is made by Nippon oil, at least that is was my understanding.

Sorry, my mistake. That is what Caterham has been saying, that the Toyota red bottle is Nippon Oil (Eneos brand), Toyota black bottle is possibly Mobil, and the Honda 0W-20 was Idemitsu. I think the Toyota red and black bottles will resemble each other. Black bottle was ordered from Toyota Parts Zone in Norwalk, California.

Last edited:
I found this on a Tundra forum.
IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Nope. It does say made in USA though, and says made to Toyota specs.
Part number on the bottle is 00279-0WQTE.

Even if it's Mobil 1, that's fine with me, but I'd like all that moly. We'll see when I get the test done.

Thanks river_rat. I'm waiting on the VOA, and here's why. I have a feeling, just a feeling that the Black Bottle Toyota oil is nothing more than M1 0W20 rebottled. I think Toyota was looking for a better price on the deal, and Mobil offered them M1 for less, and simply repackaged it, and Toyota was fine with that.

If I'm right then the Red Bottle was the better oil IMO. I hope I'm wrong and it has specs very close to the Red Bottle, and that Mobil really did make it specifically to Toyota's specs. That would include the boat load of moly, and the great 40*C and 100*C numbers. If that's the case I will try it, if not my search continues.

BTW I'm not bashing Mobil, but I won't pay dealer prices for repackaged M1 0W20.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
BTW I'm not bashing Mobil, but I won't pay dealer prices for repackaged M1 0W20.

No. Me either...I'm sure it will run plenty hundreds of thousands of miles with Mobil 1, but I would just go to Wal-Mart and get Mobil 1 0W-20 for cheaper.

I sent a sample of the new black bottle stuff to WearCheck USA for a VOA today. I'll let you all know.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I sent a sample of the new black bottle stuff to WearCheck USA for a VOA today. I'll let you all know.

Thanks, river_rat

Me too. If it's the same as M1 at a higher price, I'll use up what I have in my stash, and quit buying it at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
Does this oil carry any other official certifications beyond SM and GF4? Any ACEA rating? Any specific Toyota spec?

The only official spec's offered and it's for the Nippon Oil are as follows:

40C vis 39.3 cSt
100C vis 8.8 cSt
VI 214
Flash Point: Over 200C

As BruceT has mentioned, he has had a comprehensive VOA done of the Mobil (black bottle) by Dyson and will be posting the results at the end of the month.

Be patient.

Thanks. I guess pursuing 3rd party certs beyond SM and GF4 wouldn't be high on the list of priorities for a car makers "Genuine" oil. Still, it's always nice to see certs. UOA only tells so much about an oil. (Then again, so do certs, but from a different viewpoint.)

As to the red/black bottle moly issue... after making such a big to do about not having being satisfied with 0w20 oils until they added their own special additive package... even going so far as to say that their 0w20 and others' 0w20 were not "interchangeable" and that while you can use any 0w20 you like for warranty purposes, the Genuine Toyota 0w20 was what your engine was "designed to run on" and is "optimized for Toyota engines"... wouldn't it be really awkward for them to now back off and repackage any of the cheap 3rd party 0w20 swill that their marketing department has been so recently trash-talking?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sbergman27
As to the red/black bottle moly issue... after making such a big to do about not having being satisfied with 0w20 oils until they added their own special additive package... even going so far as to say that their 0w20 and others' 0w20 were not "interchangeable" and that while you can use any 0w20 you like for warranty purposes, the Genuine Toyota 0w20 was what your engine was "designed to run on" and is "optimized for Toyota engines"... wouldn't it be really awkward for them to now back off and repackage any of the cheap 3rd party 0w20 swill that their marketing department has been so recently trash-talking?

I wouldn't put it past them, and although I hope I'm wrong, I have a feeling Toyota is now selling repackaged M1 0w20. The general public might buy the oil thinking it is in fact specially made for their Toyota and never get a VOA let alone know what one is.

As I said I hope I'm wrong and it is in fact the same or very close to the Red Bottle. We'll know soon enough.

I don't know why you would think the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 would not meet Toyota's spec's. If M1 0W-20 had met Toyota's spec's in the first place then Toyota wouldn't have needed to go with Nippon Oil for their 0W-20 brand. Keep in mind Mobil has supplied the other Toyota oil grades for years so they were the logical initial supplier.
Furthermore, Toyota has published the spec's for their oil but they won't tell you who makes it (I tried but they're mum). All the more reason to believe that whom ever supplies the oil, it will meet Toyota's spec's; namely a very low 40C vis, a VI over 200 and a boat load of moly.

Does M1 0W20 off the shelf at WM meet the Toyota Spec? I'm just a little hesitant until I see the VOA. You're probably correct, I just have some doubts that's all. It could also be that Mobil offered a better deal on the oil to Toyota by simply sticking a Toyota label on the existing M1 0w20 oil. Then it becomes Toyota oil and nothing changes. Toyota might accept that if the price is right. Everything is price driven these days. Again I could be wrong we will know soon enough.

If it is the same formula as the Red Bottle I'm a buyer, Mobil product or not.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
My friend, I think you're over thinking this.

I tend to do that. Especially with all the time I've had lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back