Toy bulk 5w30, 2mo 3920miles, 5k total 1zzfe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

2007 Corrolla, 5000miles total, 3920 on this fill in about 2months with mixed driving. The dealer gave me a free oil change at 1000 miles and put 5w30 bulk oil and toyota filter on it. I averaged 37 mpg with some short trips and lots of stop and go traffic and idling with all the [censored] construction on the roads. Still pretty happy with the car after almost four months. I miss my old 2k Subaru RS coupe though. I replaced this fill with PP 5w20 and 2oz main. dose of AutoRX and the bigger purolator oil filter. Can't wait for the next UOA to watch the copper and silicon come down.

UOA-07Corrollaat5000miles.jpg

Last edited:
[censored] stick with the bulk oil from toyota for a while. dont worry about syns till after about 20k miles or so when those # come down a little. let it break in and change the oil every 3k miles till about 20-30k miles.. i would use either the yota oil or some conventional on sale.. no need for syns in that motor yet if any at all period... gtx has shown GREAT uoa's in that motor!! thats even with the walmart supertech filters.. so save your $$ and run the gtx 5k miles or so after you get her broke in.

PP should work well. I would've switched to a syn as soon as I pulled into the driveway. But, a free OCI is a free OCI. This UOA shows that the 5k OCI is easy for your driving style, even on 'bulk' oil.

Which purolator PN are you using?

37mpg? 5-speed?

right now with it breaking in you dont want to run long oci's correct?????? esp not over 5k miles due to all of the mess coming off the inside of the motor correct??? why do people run syn oils? long oci's correct? imo he does not need them yet. let it break in and get his #'s back down and then run long oci's.. with thos corollas he really doesnt need a syn anyway. he run whatever conventional oil he wants up to 6500 miles and fine.. save yourself the $$ its not a hot rod lol

I don't run synthetics for long OCI's or to try to reduce average wear numbers. I run synthetics to ensure engine cleanliness and boundary protection in case something goes wrong with my engine (e.g. fuel dilution, etc.) It's about insurance for me, not day to day performance.

The filter on the car now is Premium Plus L14477. It is the same as the L14476 speced for several toyotas except it is quite a bit bigger. It is still cheap ~$3.50. I have a few left over from my old 5SFE camry. I thought it was cool that the corolla uses the same filters.

I wanted to try 5w20 and do an UOA. Since Toyota has the TSB saying it is okay to use it in certain models (06 and up corollas for one). When I went to AAP to buy the oil they had BOGO on PP. The 5w20 Castrol gtx was hardly any cheaper. I bought enough PP to do 3 OCI. I want to get an UOA on each and see how it does. I didn't mean to start a war on synthetic vs dino. After I have finished the 3 OCIs and shown the reports we will have some real data to talk about. Discussing synthetic vs dino in this car pointless and counterproductive. At 20K miles we will have some data and a discussion will be relevant.

It is a 5speed and I do average 37mpg in mixed driving. I have driven two tanks on the 5w20 and havn't noticed any real world mpg improvement. But that is probably because it is a lot of idling in construction traffic. I have only had a couple tanks of all highway and they were 41.3 and 40.5 mpg. The 41.3 was a trip to the ozarks on 2 lane roads and the average speed was only around 60mph. The other was all 70mph with the a/c on. My worst tank was 34 mpg, but that was almost all stop and go city.

Who needs a hybrid?

Get some synth in the PSF and gearbox and maybe you'll see better MPG.

unDummy,

I actually planned to put redline MTL (i think that is what it is called) in the gear box, just havn't done it yet. My old Subaru 5speed loved Redline lightweight shockproof (smurfs blood haha).

I hadn't thought about the Power Steering Fluid. Is that what you meant by PSF? Would I really see any noticible improvement by changing that out?

Quote:

I don't run synthetics for long OCI's or to try to reduce average wear numbers. I run synthetics to ensure engine cleanliness and boundary protection in case something goes wrong with my engine (e.g. fuel dilution, etc.) It's about insurance for me, not day to day performance.

Wow, this is the exact reason why I plan to go back to synthetic in my car. A clean engine is a healthy engine and who doesnt want more protection just in case something goes wrong!! Its one reason why I never understood the whole switch back to dino when your car shows old age. Other than leaking, I would rather put synthetic in an older car because the chances of something going wrong are greater than a new car like here.

Sorry about the hijack but to the OP, why are you using a maintenance dose of Auto-Rx on a car with 4k miles while using a good PP? seal conditioning or swelling? dont need it in my opinion.

dude for that corolla save your $ and go with GTX.. plenty of UOA's here done on that car.. GTX outperformed most of the synthetics for that car.. just trying to save you a buck or two. they showed great numbers..he drives his out to 6500 miles on gtx. look up Bill in UTAh. he has great write ups on his corolla.

More then likely, you'll want Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90 (both 40wts) in that manual tranny. But, I wouldn't doubt that the thinner MTL/MTF(30wts) would protect well enough. I just wouldn't risk going too thin. Try a 50:50 blend of MTG:MTF or MT90:MTL. This way, you're a solid 85wt which should provide plenty of protection. Whether MPG increases is for you to study. Same goes for the PSF. But, when I've switched 'entire vehicles' over to synthetics, there have been increase in MPG. Synthetics flow so much better when cold. This is when the majority of MPG improvements will occur. During the winter, you'll benefit from the synth everywhere, especially during the 1st 5-15 minutes of driving when a mineral oil flows poorly.

My vehicle has Mobil1/Royalpurple in the PSF, ATF+4 in the differential, and ATF+4 in the transmission(extremely noticeable compared to mineral DexronIII), and whatever full synth 5w30 is on sale(BOGO, discounted, or rebated Valvo, QS, PZL, M1, RP....) in the engine. Compared to mineral oils everywhere, there is a solid 10% MPG boost in the winter(I make plent short trips). During the summer, MPG increase is not too noticeable regardless of fluids. Summers here are short.

So, stick with those full synthetic 20wt motor oils.
Grab some synthetic for that manual transmission.
And, siphon/refill that power steering fluid reservoir's pint at each oil change, or 2, with a synthetic ATF. I'll assume that Toyota is still using Dexron in the PSF's. Hopefully, the combination of synths, along with decent tire pressure, will reward you with 40mpg always. There is also an underdrive pulley for that engine family if you're a gambler.

That 34mpg guzzling city-only driving needs all the help it can get
grin.gif

we use the MT-90 ( 2 quarts ) in our 2000 PRIZM (Corolla) and shifts like a dream . As for synthetic , could go with the PENNZOIL PLATINUM 5w-30 which is now $1.99 a quart after rebate at PEPBOYS ( sale ends the 21st JULY ) and there's always the buy 1 get 1 free at ADVANCE AUTO PARTS ($2.90 a qt.) , which should be coming along soon . Plus is very reasonable at WALLY WORLD when the sales are not available . The PRIZM (Corolla) was much quiter when used the PLATINUM (now use PENN.SUV synblend) at highway speeds , steep hills , and during the revs when shifting . Also , just got 40.6 miles to the gallon on the PRIZM that has nearly 81,000 miles . Make sure to check your oil level more often during breakin period and at least every other week after ( or whatever you feel comfortable with ) . Enjoy your new vehicle .

ahh yes MT90... That is what I was going to order, just remembered wrong. I read at corrolland that other owners who have tried redline mt90 found their tranny no longer crunches when going into reverse. It doesn't happen often, but does happen. So I am more concerned with that than any real world mpg improvement. With the driving I am forced to do, it is actually doing well.

Smokey1,
I didn't find any UOA that were both from a 1zzfe and PP 5w20. I am not opposed to using 5w30, just wanted to see how well it would work in my sample of this engine. I plan on doing 3 fills with a UOA each. I will certainly change course if Blackstone finds anything troublesome in the next sample. I am actually very impressed with it so far in the engine. It might be wishful thinking, but it seems quieter. I think the noise at lower rpms is attributed to cam chain noise by other owners. I am pretty sure it sounds better. I have been checking the engine bay and oil often and have found no evidence of any oil loss. So far I have about 1100 miles with the PP5w20 and other than the engine seeming to be quieter and nicer I havn't really noticed anything else different. My first oil analysis and I can't wait to get the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back