TOTAL Quartz Energy 9000 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for some info about the stock base for Total Quartz 9000 5w40.

Here is my e-mail and the reply:

I just bought some of this oil and I am a first time buyer. Can you tell me what stock base is used in this oil? Is it Group III or IV or something else.

Can you also tell me what percentages are used if more than one base is used.

Thanks for you assistance.

Reply from Total Lubricants:

Total Quartz Energy 9000 products are fully synthetic based oils which means they are made from Polyalphaolefins (PAO), which is a synthetic hydrocarbon, plus there is probably some diester synthetic included help solubilize the additives. Since PAOs have very low solvency, it is common in the industry to use a small percent of diester for this purpose. I do not know how much diester is in there. PAO is a Group IV base oil. Diester would be Group V.

Best regards,

I wonder why their bottles say Synthetic Technology then? That means it is group III oil.

044544.jpg

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I wonder why their bottles say Synthetic Technology then? That means it is group III oil.

I would agree. It seems that in Euro-speak, "synthetic technology" our synthetic III/III+, and IV and V qualify as "fully synthetic."

I see the words "Synthetic Technology" is in English. I wonder if anywhere on the bottle it says that is is for sale only in the Americas? I see Total stations all over France, and as reported, if it is sold in Europe, and says Synthetic, I must be a true synthetic,(Group IV or Group IV) not a Group III.

If Total says it is a PAO with a little DiEster in it, it must be a true synthetic.

Next time I go to France, I have a friend with a Total station
(like a 7-11) and an automobile dealership right next door, all in St.Lo, and I will check this out. I'm sure that over there, the lables will all be mainly in French, with perhaps a little English and German writing. (Only problem is I don't know when I will be going again, as the dollar is in the toilet, and it costs so much over there, even if the dollar was on par with the Euro).

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

Next time I go to France, I have a friend with a Total station
(like a 7-11) and an automobile dealership right next door, all in St.Lo, and I will check this out. I'm sure that over there, the lables will all be mainly in French, with perhaps a little English and German writing.

The french spec sheet says "technologie de synthese" which basically translates to "synthetic technology" if I'm not mistaken...

http://www.total.fr/cs/Satellite?blobcol...p;ssbinary=true

The Energy 9000 0W30 is a real synthetic PAO oil.
The same as Elf Full Tech 0W30.

Very good oil with A3/B3-B4,MB229.5 BMW LL01 specs

Actually I think only in Germany does "Fully Synthetic" = GroupIV-V
For example Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 , a Group III synthetic, is only listed on the german site as" Made with Synthetic Technology", in the UK, Italy etc it is listed as Fully Synthetic.

Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40 = semi-synthetic; API Group III, hydrocracked 'dino' oil
Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W30 = full synthetic; min. API Group IV (PAO, esters, etc.)
I hope my lines are helpful

You are correct, zoli. The 5w40 is a group 3 oil. Still very good and I'm sure it has some PAO in it. The 0w30 is mostly group 4 (PAO) oil, and it's even better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E46M3
I was looking for some info about the stock base for Total Quartz 9000 5w40.

Here is my e-mail and the reply:

I just bought some of this oil and I am a first time buyer. Can you tell me what stock base is used in this oil? Is it Group III or IV or something else.

Can you also tell me what percentages are used if more than one base is used.

Thanks for you assistance.

Reply from Total Lubricants:

Total Quartz Energy 9000 products are fully synthetic based oils which means they are made from Polyalphaolefins (PAO), which is a synthetic hydrocarbon, plus there is probably some diester synthetic included help solubilize the additives. Since PAOs have very low solvency, it is common in the industry to use a small percent of diester for this purpose. I do not know how much diester is in there. PAO is a Group IV base oil. Diester would be Group V.

Best regards,

Originally Posted By: dparm
You are correct, zoli. The 5w40 is a group 3 oil. Still very good and I'm sure it has some PAO in it. The 0w30 is mostly group 4 (PAO) oil, and it's even better.

zoli/dparm - with what data do you refute a statement directly from the manufacturer of the oil? They clearly state Energy 9000 products are group IV/V. You both however say the 5W-40 is group III and group III with some PAO in it, respectively.

Don't you think the manufacturer knows what's in their own oils?

Last edited:
So that means its 90% mineral based. Thats no good. I used to run Mobil 1 0W-40 but the MSDS for australia (link to msds finder) says "POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 1-5%" and nothing more really so I dont know what to believe. Everyone here says M1 0W-40 is PAO but if that was the case wouldnt the MSDS say so?

Last edited:
I'm not using the new life stuff, just the SM rated 0w-40. Are they different formulation regarding base stocks?

Last edited:
I dont meant to derail this into a M1 topic. I just want the complete specs for the Total quartz energy 9000 5W/40 or Elf NF 5W/40 (appear to be the same oil).

Without additive pack and HTHS how is one supposed to make a decision to use this oil? It might be a 'good quality grp III' but you wouldn't know. I can get this ~$30 cheaper for 5L than M1 0W/40 (full synth) and would definitely like to use it if its close to as good as the M1.

Originally Posted By: oilnub
I used to run Mobil 1 0W-40 but the MSDS for australia (link to msds finder) says "POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 1-5%" and nothing more really so I dont know what to believe. Everyone here says M1 0W-40 is PAO but if that was the case wouldnt the MSDS say so?

I can't speak for Australia, but in North America, for goods that aren't really dangerous, one has to take the MSDS with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Without additive pack and HTHS how is one supposed to make a decision to use this oil? It might be a 'good quality grp III' but you wouldn't know. I can get this ~$30 cheaper for 5L than M1 0W/40 (full synth) and would definitely like to use it if its close to as good as the M1.

I have been using Total Quartz Energy 9000 in the 5W/40 weight in my 2000 Saab 9-5 for over 150,000 miles, with 5K mile OCIs. The engine currently has over 315,000 miles of use with no problems.

To answer your questions; Yes it is a good oil, and most likely it is a Group III or Group III+ (what ever that is?) base.

Last edited:
...I just want the complete specs for the Total quartz energy 9000 5W/40...

Very good approach!
I hope this table will help you.

Knowing the additive pack and the HTHS will not tell you whether one oil is better than the other or not. Read the back of the oil bottle and your vehicle owner manual. If the specs call out in the owner manual and the back of the oil bottle are the same then you are perfectly safe to use the oil. Very few oil companies list the composition of their oils, only the specs that it was approved for, might meet or exceed.

You are worrying too much about nothing.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I can't speak for Australia, but in North America, for goods that aren't really dangerous, one has to take the MSDS with a grain of salt.

I dont know either. Who knows whats what anymore? Only Motul that I know of definitely states they use grp IV/V, the rest are all just marketing terms, smoke and mirrors.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
I have been using Total Quartz Energy 9000 in the 5W/40 weight in my 2000 Saab 9-5 for over 150,000 miles, with 5K mile OCIs. The engine currently has over 315,000 miles of use with no problems.

To answer your questions; Yes it is a good oil, and most likely it is a Group III or Group III+ (what ever that is?) base.

Good to know, thanks.

Originally Posted By: zoli
Very good approach!
I hope this table will help you.

Thanks for the comparisons. We seem to have different M1 0W40 here, different name and specs. Still probably a good oil. Any idea where you got HTHS for that Total?

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Knowing the additive pack and the HTHS will not tell you whether one oil is better than the other or not. Read the back of the oil bottle and your vehicle owner manual. If the specs call out in the owner manual and the back of the oil bottle are the same then you are perfectly safe to use the oil. Very few oil companies list the composition of their oils, only the specs that it was approved for, might meet or exceed.

You are worrying too much about nothing.

The car this is for is a modified Evo 8 seeing some track time. What's in the manual doesn't really apply anymore. It's also a recommendation based on old technology when the car was manufactured. If this was a normal daily driver I'd be less concerned but I need a really good oil that I can get off the shelf (preferably without making a blend), yet doesn't cost the earth so I can regularly change it. If money was no concern I'd be running either M1 0W40 with 1L M1 4T Racing added or Motul 300V Chrono 5W40. However both choices put the oil cost per change well over $100.

M1 0W40 alone costs $95 AUD for 5L and Motul 300V is $109 AUD for 4L and I need 4.8L per change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back