TOTAL Quartz Energy 9000 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: oilnub
I used to run Mobil 1 0W-40 but the MSDS for australia (link to msds finder) says "POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 1-5%" and nothing more really so I dont know what to believe. Everyone here says M1 0W-40 is PAO but if that was the case wouldnt the MSDS say so?

I can't speak for Australia, but in North America, for goods that aren't really dangerous, one has to take the MSDS with a grain of salt.
True. If we're lucky our MSDS will say whether the saw oil is "highly refined", PAO, or Ester. Off to the side you'll see the % listed. XOM is notorious for keeping that hidden via CAS # so you'll have to research further. To make it worse I've seen bases oils of the same line differ between countries and even years. IMO the biggest tip-off is price. GR3 are always < $10US.

...Any idea where you got HTHS for that Total?...

ACEA A3 means HTHS >3.5
See this as well.

The car this is for is a modified Evo 8 seeing some track time. What's in the manual doesn't really apply anymore.

If this is true then $109 for Motul is cheap compares to an engine replacement. Trying to guess how good of an oil is so you can save some money is a bad move. No racers in their right mind would want to guess on how good the oil is for $30 less.

I wasn't suggesting $30 or less, just not over $100 per time if I could help it. It may be that nothing exists. Just wondering as a couple of successful racers have used/use Elf Excellium 5W-40 so I wanted to know what it was exactly.

Lets not talk about Mobil 1, lets discuss only real synthetics. M1 should be labeled a blend

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Lets not talk about Mobil 1, lets discuss only real synthetics. M1 should be labeled a blend

Lets not talk about Mobil 1, lets discuss only "real" synthetics. M1 should be labeled a blend.

You do know the definition of "Synthetic" is 100% arbitrary?

All groups are, surprise, made from organics. Go figure.

After much research I have bought Red Line 0w30 and 0w40 and will mix them equally. I don't really care about the BMW LL01 label since my 135i is far from stock.

New to the site. Thank you all for the information. Just wondering what opinions are on another Total Oil product. Quartz Future 9000 XT 5w20. I would be running this in both my Ford Edge and Honda Odyssey. I have a document showing it is SN / GF-5 and that it is 100% synthetic. Not sure of it's accuracy though.

Thank you for your feedback.

Originally Posted By: clevel
New to the site. Thank you all for the information. Just wondering what opinions are on another Total Oil product. Quartz Future 9000 XT 5w20. I would be running this in both my Ford Edge and Honda Odyssey. I have a document showing it is SN / GF-5 and that it is 100% synthetic. Not sure of it's accuracy though.

depends on way country the document is from. For example I've seen MSDS for Total MC3 say PAO or hydrocracked where the only difference was the country (Netherlands. Vs US).

Another thing you have to ask yourself is whether there is a performance difference in a oil which is 55% PAO or 45% PAO. The answer is not likely if both have the same certs.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I just noticed the document is from "Total Lubricants Canada". I can get the Quartz Future 9000 XT 5w20 for $7/quart. Based on that price it is about the same as Mobil so trying to decide which one to use?

Thanks.

New to the site. Thank you all for the information. Just wondering what opinions are on another Total Oil product. Quartz Future 9000 XT 5w20. I would be running this in both my Ford Edge and Honda Odyssey.

I have a document showing it is SN / GF-5 and that it is 100% synthetic. Not sure of it's accuracy though.

I think that Total Quartz Future 9000 XT 5w20 might be a " Full Synthetic " ( Group 3 ) instead of a " 100% synthetic " ( Group 4 ) oil.

Couple of things make me lean in that direction...........

1) Total has virtually the same Technical Specs as Amsoil's XL 5W20 ( a Group 3 oil
)

On specs like...

- Viscosity @ 100°C
- Viscosity @ 40°C
- Viscosity Index
- CCS Viscosity
- Pour Point °C
- Total Base Number

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlm.aspx

http://www.total-lub.ca/Pages/content/NT0000F142.pdf

2) The Total Lubricant " Energy 9000 " brand is considered ( by most accounts ) to be a Group 4 synthetic and is described on the Total website as " 100 % synthetic " ( just as Amsoil's Group 4 Signature Series oil is ) whereas Future is referred to as a " Full Synthetic " both on the site and on the bottle ( just as Amsoil's Group 3 XL oil is called a " Full Synthetic ".

But I'm just guessing.

If anyone could definitively confirm whether Total Quartz Future 9000 XT 5w20 is either a Group 3 oil or a Group 4 oil, it'd be greatly appreciated. .

I'd lean towards the M1, mostly because of availability and it's most likely to be the one that's on sale at least some of the time. Before Caterham asks, have you considered a 0w-20 instead of a 5w-20 if you're going synthetic anyway?
wink.gif

In any case, $7/L synthetic would be a decent price up here, at least without going on a scavenger hunt.

For me, the Total is as readily available as M1 or Penzoil. A local import auto parts store has it in stock at the $7/quart price. I would consider 0w20 but would that affect my power train warranty since the manual calls for 5w20? I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still in the power train portion. Vehicle is a 2008 Ford Edge with 25K miles. Currently I also run 5w20 in my 2005 Honda Odyssey which is out of warranty. I guess I am interested in finding out if the Total Quartz Future is group III or IV? I would also be open to 0w20 suggestions if it doesn't affect the warranty. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, if it's readily available, that's fine then. As for the warranty issue, in theory, 0w-20 should be acceptable in any application that calls for 5w-20. Whether a manufacturer's warranty department would agree is another question. If you do go for a 0w-20, check with CATERHAM. He knows those oils inside and out; I don't pay enough attention since I don't own anything that's speced for a 20 weight.

As for Group III versus Group IV, I've learned to generally ignore that issue. Even in Germany where they're picky about what can legally be labelled a synthetic, the issue has moved towards a specified oil. Manuals for German cars don't say to get a fully synthetic 5w-30 or 0w-40, considering that means a different thing in a different country, but rather have their own proprietary and ACEA specifications.

I admit, from a feel good perspective, it's "nice" to get a Group IV for $7 a litre instead of Group III/III+ for $7 a litre, but if they both fulfil the same specifications, the differences are negligible. Further, Total makes same very good lubricants, so regardless of group content, you're not buying some terrible oil that claims to be fully synthetic, yet has a subpar additive package.

For me, the Total is as readily available as M1 or Penzoil. A local import auto parts store has it in stock at the $7/quart price. I would consider 0w20 but would that affect my power train warranty since the manual calls for 5w20? I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still in the power train portion. Vehicle is a 2008 Ford Edge with 25K miles. Currently I also run 5w20 in my 2005 Honda Odyssey which is out of warranty.

I guess I am interested in finding out if the Total Quartz Future is group III or IV?

I would also be open to 0w20 suggestions if it doesn't affect the warranty. Any input is greatly appreciated.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I suspect Total Quartz 9000 Future XT 5W20 is a Group 3 oil - as it's specs are very close to Amosil's XT Group 3 oil.......

OIL............................................................XL............................XT

- Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C...............8.8..........................8.5
- Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C................51.3.........................48
- Viscosity Index .....................................151.........................150
- CCS Viscosity....................................5537 (-30).................5500 (-30)
- Pour Point °C.........................................- 43.........................- 40
- Flash Point °C.......................................226.........................200
- Total Base Number................................9.0...........................7.8

I would expect a Group 4 oil to have noticeably better CCS Viscosity, Pour Point and TBN values than those above ....relatively speaking.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the information. Seems like Total makes a good product. Seems like the real question is whether to use 5w20 or 0w20 which I will research further.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Nesser
Originally Posted By: Terra_Nova
I suspect Total Quartz 9000 Future XT 5W20 is a Group 3 oil - as it's specs are very close to Amosil's XT Group 3 oil

Looks like AMSOIL OEM 5W-20 numbers match up nicely instead of with the more expensive XL product line.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oem.aspx

I agree...the Amsoil OE looks pretty good.

And the AMSOIL OEM 5W-20 is a Group 3 well....so, I think the Amsoil XL may just be Group 3 with a more robust additive package to accommodate extended drain intervals..

Thank you for all of the information. Seems like Total makes a good product. Seems like the real question is whether to use 5w20 or 0w20 which I will research further.

Thanks again.

Perhaps run 0W20 in the winter and 5W20 for the other 3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back