Total Quartz 9000 5W40 "Advanced Synthetic"

My mechanic uses Total Quartz 9000 5W40 in all of the cars he services (he only works on European cars). My Mini burned a little oil so I stopped by to pick up a quart as he is the only local shop I know of that sells it. The bottle he sold me looks exactly like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Total-185703-12PK-Quartz-Energy-Engine/dp/B00LAY8J94 So the bottle says "Advanced Synthetic Motor Oil." Does that mean it's not synthetic technology or whatever they are saying these days, but actually a group IV base? Just curious. My mechanic swears by the stuff. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I use the 0w20 flavor and last year the company told me it was group 3 oil.
Yup, in the US the oil lobbies have gotten the word "synthetic" to include group III

Originally Posted By: oilguy3
Does that mean it's not synthetic technology or whatever they are saying these days, but actually a group IV base?
No, it does not mean that.

CT8

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I use the 0w20 flavor and last year the company told me it was group 3 oil.
Yup, in the US the oil lobbies have gotten the word "synthetic" to include group III
If it says synthetic ,it has to be the best for my car.

I've seen the word advanced used with synthetic before on an oil can and it seems to mean the same as what the Germans call a synthetic technology oil. Alas that is defined as a group 3 hydro cracked up conventional base oil. Not the real thing!

Some of the worst performing oils in UOA test result terms are cheap synthetics. If you want to use one, it's a real good idea to get a VOA done to see if it has any additives. There is a glut of cooked up and filtered (Hydro cracked) conventional base oils being dumped on any company with a few dollars to spare and yes Total do use Bulgarian base stocks.

It is a thick 5W40, gr 3. MB 229.5 so not that bat. Nothing exceptional, nothing bad IMO. I'm going to try it in my diesel for the winter I think. It is/was also the oem oil for many PSA cars. Edit: BTW, here is isn't marketed as full synth, Total is at least honest on that part

Last edited:
Probably still better than what Total is using for its 5W40. IMO Total is also using something else in this 5W40, else they'd probably label it "synthetic" like they do for the 10W50

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Popsy
GTL
Which is a Group III.
Group III + (plus).
Officially, there is no such classification. It is group III.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
...and yes Total do use Bulgarian base stocks.
Out of interest, which Bulgarian base stocks are those then? The LUKOIL Neftochim refinery doesn't make base oils and I'm not aware of another.

I used this oil often in my 2000 Saab 9-5, with Shell Rotella-T 5W/40 used sometimes, and very rarely Mobil-1 5W/40 TDT&SUV. I sold that car nearly five years ago with 318,000 miles on the odometer, the engine running like a champ, and the UOA I had performed at ~300,000 miles showed no evidence of any internal engine wear. In the intervening time the local price of Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W/40 has nearly doubled while the local prices of the Shell and Mobil-1 choices has remained fairly stable. Now I mostly run Shell Rotella-T in my newer Saab 9-5 and the Saab Viggen.

Last edited: