Total differential rebuild LS install, 60+ pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Still really enjoying this TRUETRAC in the 4Runner. It's smooth as silk and the power transfer is smooth and instant. After removing the Detroit locker I'm really not sure why I didn't do this sooner. I couldn't possibly be more pleased with this differential for a daily driver! Truck is running strong with nearly 10,000 miles on the rebuilt differential now. Just a hair over 329,000 miles on the entire truck.

No wonder, you went from one of the crudest locking mechanisms to one of most sophisticated!

Thanks for the pics and the follow-up. It makes me appreciate what I paid for. I do almost all my own work, but transmission rebuilds and differential work I pay for. I had an OEM Trac-Loc put in my Dakota back in 2002 when it was almost new, parts+labor was $900 and it's been worth every penny since then.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Still really enjoying this TRUETRAC in the 4Runner. It's smooth as silk and the power transfer is smooth and instant. After removing the Detroit locker I'm really not sure why I didn't do this sooner. I couldn't possibly be more pleased with this differential for a daily driver! Truck is running strong with nearly 10,000 miles on the rebuilt differential now. Just a hair over 329,000 miles on the entire truck.

No wonder, you went from one of the crudest locking mechanisms to one of most sophisticated!

Thanks for the pics and the follow-up. It makes me appreciate what I paid for. I do almost all my own work, but transmission rebuilds and differential work I pay for. I had an OEM Trac-Loc put in my Dakota back in 2002 when it was almost new, parts+labor was $900 and it's been worth every penny since then.

This style differential is much easier to service since the 3rd member comes out of the differential. I can and have rebuilt axles like your 9.25 in your Dakota but it's not much fun without a hoist considering you have to perform all the work in the vehicle. These days I limit my differential builds to removable third member type or axles out of the vehicle. My 1976 K-10 is currently open with a 3.73 gear, when I install the new Big Block this winter I'll pay someone to install the limited slip as I have no desire to do the job on my back on the floor. Some things are worth paying for even if you have the ability to do them yourself.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Oh you got that right. I've got a Detroit in the S10 and it is pretty much un-streetable (not to mention a 3.42 with a 4 cylinder, should be 4.10)...

Great write-up and pictures, Luke!

You've got a good 4 Runner. The 1st gen was a stone-simple truck, but will run forever if you can keep the rust at bay. The V-6 and IFS on the 2nd gen were a pain to work on...but the truck was sound. My old one is still on the road in the hands of its new owner.

I am really enjoying NOT turning wrenches for a while, but am lining up some future projects for the Packard when I've got the time...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Great write-up and pictures, Luke!

You've got a good 4 Runner. The 1st gen was a stone-simple truck, but will run forever if you can keep the rust at bay. The V-6 and IFS on the 2nd gen were a pain to work on...but the truck was sound. My old one is still on the road in the hands of its new owner.

I am really enjoying NOT turning wrenches for a while, but am lining up some future projects for the Packard when I've got the time...

Thanks Astro! I appreciate the compliment. I really enjoyed your M1 Garand build pics as well. I really dislike working on the 3.0L V-6 trucks and 4Runner's so much so that I've avoided them completely. I've had this truck for 6 years now, bought it during flight school in Pensacola from the original owners out of Arizona so the body is rust free. I've done some things as preventative maintenance but for the most part the truck is gas oil and drive. It still has it's original engine that's never been rebuilt and to my amazement it still doesn't burn a drop of oil. This is my daily driver and aside from someone crashing into me god forbid I plan on keeping it my daily driver at least to the end of my DH tour.

Since you mentioned the Packard, is yours a straight 8 or 6? I've rebuilt a few of each when I was building engines years ago. I even have a Packard thermometer somewhere "How fine is a Packard? Ask the man who owns one."

Sorry to go OT...

But the Packard is a 320 CI straight eight engine. 3 3/16" bore, 5" stroke. 110 HP Flat head (side valve) 6.5:1 compression. Updraft carburetor.

It's smooth like no other engine. Tons of torque. But it takes a long hood to fit that engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back