Total differential rebuild LS install, 60+ pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys, the Detroit Locker will be coming out this weekend and the 3rd member rebuilt in this thread will be going in. Based upon the recommendation of Eaton I will be using a Mineral gear oil without any FM added. I elected to use Walmart SuperTech 80w90 for now. Will likely run it for a week for my normal travels (~150 miles) and dump the initial fill. I will then run the refill to the next oil change ~4500 miles and change again. What's a good OCI to use for mineral gear oil? It's been years since I've run one. I was thinking 15,000 or there about. As an added note I did submit a sample of the Redline Heavy Weight Shockproof that's been in service just shy of 49,000 miles to Blackstone for analysis. I expect iron to be high as a result of the ratcheting action from the Detroit but time will tell.

Rebuilt differential is installed. Took about an hour and a half floor to floor. I've only driven it about 5 miles around the neighborhood but so far all seems well. Nice and quiet, much smoother compared to the outgoing Detroit Locker. So far I think I'm really going to like the TrueTrac!

Picture of the truck as requested. This was 1/2 way through the off road trip I took the truck on while up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a few weeks back.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
What's a good OCI to use for mineral gear oil? It's been years since I've run one. I was thinking 15,000 or there about.

25K miles OCI in open differential .... goldenish color and smells like new when drained.
Differential housing is warm to touch after 40-50 minutes of hiway 60-70 mph driving on a Yota.
Extending current 80W90 to 40K ..... and considering a mono 90 or 140.

Note:I believe your proposed 15K is too short mate.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Man, I was expecting to see an engine that makes real power going in

My LS platform engine makes good power. It's going in my Chevelle, it made 1023 HP and 1126 LB FT of torque on E-85, 960 HP and 1063 LB FT on premium pump gas.

My 1976 K-10 is getting a 550 hp 620 tq big block this winter, I have plenty of fast toys, this one is the reliable daily driver.

Sorry they the LS in the title distracted you I didn't have enough room in the subject like to type TrueTrac.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Man, I was expecting to see an engine that makes real power going in

My LS platform engine makes good power. It's going in my Chevelle, it made 1023 HP and 1126 LB FT of torque on E-85, 960 HP and 1063 LB FT on premium pump gas.

My 1976 K-10 is getting a 550 hp 620 tq big block this winter, I have plenty of fast toys, this one is the reliable daily driver.

Sorry they the LS in the title distracted you I didn't have enough room in the subject like to type TrueTrac.

No worries, just joking around. Pic request of the Chevelle and K10

Whipple again
LS7 heads

All on Chevelle engine now, awaiting new chassis install under the body...

454 for the K10 is fresh off the dyno waiting for me to pick it up.

Just a quick follow up on the TrueTrac in the 4Runner. I have about ~800 miles on the new install now and I couldn't be more pleased. The differential is absolutely seamless. I'm not sure what the bias ratio of this model is but it seems to be very tight. Torque transfer is seamless and quiet. I'm going to change the differential oil today and run the new fill out to the end of this oil change and change it again ~4,000 more miles. After that I will probably change at 10,000 mile intervals until I can establish an acceptable OCI. For anyone considering a limited slip install I would HIGHLY recommend this differential!

Originally Posted By: DukeOfFrontenac
Excellent post FlyNavy, a real interesting read. Thanks!

No worries, I wish I'd seen something like this 20 years ago when I rebuilt my first differential. It would've been helpful for knowing what I was getting myself into.

Quick follow up passing ~1,400 miles on the TrueTrac. This thing rocks, I was worried about weak bias posted by some users of this differential, at least so far that has not been my experience. It drives like an open differential up until one wheel looses traction, the transfer of torque is smooth, instant and seamless. I really couldn't be happier. First oil change was completed already and I will change again at the same time as the oil change in about ~3,500 miles. I will probably just service the differential every other oil change there after since it's so easy with a drain and fill plug on the Toyota differential. Once I get about 10-15k on the differential I will probably send in a sample to evaluate the lube performance. Current fill is ST conventional 80w90 from Walmart.

Just a quick follow up on the TrueTrac in the 4Runner. I have about ~800 miles on the new install now and I couldn't be more pleased. The differential is absolutely seamless. I'm not sure what the bias ratio of this model is but it seems to be very tight. Torque transfer is seamless and quiet. I'm going to change the differential oil today and run the new fill out to the end of this oil change and change it again ~4,000 more miles. After that I will probably change at 10,000 mile intervals until I can establish an acceptable OCI. For anyone considering a limited slip install I would HIGHLY recommend this differential!

Your OCI's appear to be on the OCD'ed side.
An mineral 80W90 could protect a differential real well up to 25K-35K OCI (or beyond), no sweat.
blush.gif

I wouldn't say the same for 75W85/90 ...... never mind its super duper add pack in synthetics base oils.

Still really enjoying this TRUETRAC in the 4Runner. It's smooth as silk and the power transfer is smooth and instant. After removing the Detroit locker I'm really not sure why I didn't do this sooner. I couldn't possibly be more pleased with this differential for a daily driver! Truck is running strong with nearly 10,000 miles on the rebuilt differential now. Just a hair over 329,000 miles on the entire truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back