torture testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool! It reads very much like dyno days/weeks/months with the 426 Hemi leading up to February 1964. Although there seems to be much less destruction with the new engine... no stories of connecting rods flying through the roof and melting into the asphalt in the parking lot. ;-)

I would think daily use, cold starts and short runs as being harder.
Think, the engine is up to temp, coolant is at optimal temp, oil is at optimal temp wear should be minimal.
The engine is just doing what it should.
Some Diesels do this for YEARS.

Originally Posted By: expat
Think, the engine is up to temp, coolant is at optimal temp, oil is at optimal temp wear should be minimal.

I hate to bring this up, but you mean like Ford's Ecoboost test where testing includes freezing it solid, then firing it up and going WOT?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: expat

I hate to bring this up, but you mean like Ford's Ecoboost test where testing includes freezing it solid, then firing it up and going WOT?

Yes, Ford put its EcoBoost engines through quite a bit more.

I would be more impressed if they wrote an article about upgrading their facility...
They "simulate" gear changes, meaning they can't change the gears. They really can't simulate much if the engine is revving freely (like when a car is in neutral) and playing with the throttle. There's more real world simulation happening at Wayne state, they're doing -30* diesel cold starts. I think that's more impressive.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
500hrs is nothing. Try full throttle for 3000hrs. Then i'll be impressed.

33.gif
R U serious? like 500hrs isnt enough?.....wow.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
500hrs is nothing. Try full throttle for 3000hrs. Then i'll be impressed.

I believe Ford uses a 300-hr test. It seems to work for them. Why are your requirements so high?

Guys, EVERYONE does the freezing test. It's just Ford that published it. Most manufacturers are very reluctant to disclose the inner workings of their developmental procedures.

Many of us simply drank the kool aid as presented. I'm sure Ford is quite pleased at the buzz they created with it.

For instance, during early development of the new gen Hemi they employed a Toyota engineer who demanded the overheat the engine to 250 degrees and then pump in ice cold water at near freezing. Result was near perfect head gasket sealing.

That probably sounds easy, huh?

Last edited:
I have heard about these wide open throttle test before. My question is why is it that when I see someone do the same thing on an old car(doesnt even have to be old) why is it that the engine usually ends up failing within 10-12 minutes? I have seen many youtube videos of this.

Originally Posted By: mike7139
I have heard about these wide open throttle test before. My question is why is it that when I see someone do the same thing on an old car(doesnt even have to be old) why is it that the engine usually ends up failing within 10-12 minutes? I have seen many youtube videos of this.

I have too, and I've always been curious about this.

I grew up sweeping the shop for a very famous engine builder in south Tampa. He had an engine dyno and routinely used it. We only had one engine actually fail on this machine and it was due to bad rod bolts. Literally hundreds of motors were run at redline and full throttle to test and tune.

But they rarely were run more than an hour or even two. By then we had all the numbers we needed and were starting the rather tedious process of disconnection and reinstallation.

Kind of like a public service, that one.

But there really are tons of them on you tube.

Most of us can't do this, but very few of our cars could really be locked full throttle and ran for even an hour, much less 500. It's a very tough test, but few people know that 500 hours equals a lot of miles.

For instance, in my car, it could potentially be 90,000 miles!!!

Last edited:
LOL at the Cobra blowing a motor racing a Corvette ZO6. Overk1ll would like that one but I can't link it because of explicit language in the video.

Originally Posted By: mike7139

Yer watchin' the cash-for-clunkers videos.
grin.gif

Most people who are willing to do a test like that know that their engines are on their way out. So figure why the [censored] not WOT for as long as I can to see how quickly it blows up.. I would honestly love to see it done on a brand new car. Leave it in first gear and set cruise control while sitting at like 6,000rpm.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
LOL at the Cobra blowing a motor racing a Corvette ZO6. Overk1ll would like that one but I can't link it because of explicit language in the video.

Meh, it happens
wink.gif

I remember the one with the Civic throwing an engine. Yes.... you read that right, not a rod, the whole freakin' engine. I laughed SO HARD!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back