torque wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one other than myself has ever changed my oil or sparkplugs, and in 59 years I've yet to torque a drain plug or a sparkplug. There are times now when I do torque my lug nuts now that I own H/F torque wrenches. And my average mileage is 20 to 30 thousand miles a year.

But do as you wish!

I'm 26, started changing oil when I was 19, only started using a torque wrench on drain plugs the past 2 years. But its a habit that has stuck with me and most likely will the rest of my life.

Heck I've yet to change a crush washer on a drain plug in 59 years and yet to lose a drop of oil. Some dust go over the top, but as I said, do as you wish!!

I have a tekton 1/4" and I like it. I opted for more expensive 3/8" and 1/2" though since I use them more. I got CDI and Precision Instruments. I got them both new at a discount on eBay.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I'm 26, started changing oil when I was 19, only started using a torque wrench on drain plugs the past 2 years. But its a habit that has stuck with me and most likely will the rest of my life.

Yea, I find that having good torque wrenches in my tool cabinet is a crutch of sorts. I find myself using them on things that I never did in the past simply because I can. And, why not?
We're not professionals trying to make a buck. Might as well enjoy using the tools that we invested in. I don't understand the bigoted responses here regarding the use of torque wrenches. People try to shame you here for something they do blind folded, one hand behind the back, while walking uphill both ways through the snow. Relax everyone!

mobilaltime, I think your responses reflect what you should do. Buy once, cry once. You will have more satisfaction using the better tools rather than always doubting your decision.

DO IT! ....I concur with Trav and Precision Instruments. I enjoy my 2 split beams every time I use them.

The harbor freight ones are more accurate than most chinese wrenches. I have some that get heavy use and are a few years old. Still on the money when I check with strain gauge. If you got one use out of one then you got a fluke lemon or you're doing it wrong.

I have an inch pound and a foot pound TW I purchased from HF 6-8 years ago. I used the ft pound TW today when I rotated the tires on the 2017 Fusion. I would guess it has torqued at least 400 lug nuts and other fasteners without a hitch. The inch pound TW performs fine as well.

Last edited:
I like the Precision Instruments brand, but what I like even better are the discontinued Snap-on torque wrenches that were made by Precision instruments. Sometimes they'll show up on eBay as new old stock, but lately there hasn't been anything but used ones.

I can always send them to Angle Repair if need be.

Before buying used and think you can send it off for calibration check this link from Angle.
http://anglerepair.com/brands/

Note: We do not service foreign manufactured torque wrenches.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
I can always send them to Angle Repair if need be.

Before buying used and think you can send it off for calibration check this link from Angle.
http://anglerepair.com/brands/

Note: We do not service foreign manufactured torque wrenches.

Check your local calibration laboratory. They will typically calibrate any wrench but will not do repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back