torque wrench settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new Snap On torque wrench 2 months ago, 5 to 75 ft lbs 3/8 drive. I was always told to keep a click style torque wrench at its lowest setting when not in use. When I pulled it the case for the first time to use it, it was set at 15 lbs, which most know that torque wrenches are accurate from 20% to 100% of scale, 15 lbs being the 20%. After use, I would always set it to 5 lbs, the lowest setting. I let a friend use it recently, he dropped it hard, so long story short I sent it to Angle Repair in West Virginia, for calibration and certification. When I got it back this week, it was set at 15 lbs. So, my question is, should I be setting all my click style torque wrenches to 20% of scale when not in use, or the lowest setting? The lady at Angle said its best to leave it at 15 lbs. What do yall leave yall torque wrenches set at when picked up?

Either is OK. The idea is to relieve stress on the spring and prevent the spring changing it's uncompressed length. At 20% of range that criteria is met.

I just bought a click style the other day. the manual states the lowest setting to be selected when stored.

My CDI, owned by Snap-on, 5-75 ft lbs 3/8 drive torque wrench was set on 15 ft lbs when I bought it. I do know that CDI says not to go past the lowest setting because it can knock something out of whack inside the torque wrench.

How much was the certification from Angle Repair? Did they mention if it was out of spec?

Last edited:
BigD1, total cost was $67. $25 for calibration, $25 for certification(which you have to ask for) and $17 to ship to my house in Louisiana. Not bad at all. According to the calibration sheet, it wasnt out of spec when they received it. Do you keep your CDI wrench at 15 lbs?

Store it loose or on zero. I got sick of these type of wrenches and went with split beam type, not setting to zero or low is necessary.

I always set my CDI clicker to the lowest setting after use ... I think it's 10 lb-ft. I just leave my Precision Instruments split beam set to its previous setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back