Torque Wrench Comparison Test

Someone here a few years ago sent a precision split beam 250ft/lb wrench out for calibration, after several years of daily use torquing out nuts , it was still in spec.
When I get home tonight I'll search for the thread

I found the thread by member Traction.

I have:

1/4" M1R200HX - 30 to 200 inch lbs (2.5 ft lbs - 16.67 ft lbs)

3/8" C2FR600H - 100 to 600 inch lbs (8.3 ft lbs - 50 ft lbs)

1/2" C3FR250F - 50 to 250 ft lbs.

Ideally I would also like to have a 3/8" that goes from 50-100 ft-lbs with angle capabilities.
For angle the Snap on electronic is where its at for one that is affordable.

I found the thread by member Traction.

When I researched (adnauseum) torque wrench brands 12 years ago before making my workplace selections, if one searches hard enough, you can find a negative post or two about any brand. I remember one fellow in avionics that claimed Snap On torque wrenches seemed to have the highest incidence of being out of calibration straight from the factory. Protos were subject to this or that, Sturdevant Richmont bla,bla,bla. You would also find numerous references of Harbor Freight torque wrenches testing as good as any major brand.

A person has to trust that the major companies whose sole endeavor is manufacturing torque wrenches is going to get it right most of the time. More important is that a person educates themselves about the torque process, the limitations of torque wrenches, and learn the proper way to use and maintain them.

It's hard to get the perfect overlap of ranges, even with three wrenches. I have the Snap On Tech Angle 50-250 in. lb. (4 - 20 ft. lb.), PI 3/8 (20-100 ft. lb.) and PI 1/2 in (50-250). I'm weak in the the 20 ft. lb. range. The Critic is weak in the 50 ft. lb. range with his 3 wrenches.

My Snap On is nice for delicate fasteners because you can read the advancing torque like a dial wrench. I don't do torque to yield, heads, etc..

Last edited:
When I researched (adnauseum) torque wrench brands 12 years ago before making my workplace selections, if one searches hard enough, you can find a negative post or two about any brand. I remember one fellow in avionics that claimed Snap On torque wrenches seemed to have the highest incidence of being out of calibration straight from the factory. Protos were subject to this or that, Sturdevant Richmont bla,bla,bla. You would also find numerous references of Harbor Freight torque wrenches testing as good as any major brand.

A person has to trust that the major companies whose sole endeavor is manufacturing torque wrenches is going to get it right most of the time. More important is that a person educates themselves about the torque process, the limitations of torque wrenches, and learn the proper way to use and maintain them.

It's hard to get the perfect overlap of ranges, even with three wrenches. I have the Snap On Tech Angle 50-250 in. lb. (4 - 20 ft. lb.), PI 3/8 (20-100 ft. lb.) and PI 1/2 in (50-250). I'm weak in the the 20 ft. lb. range. The Critic is weak in the 50 ft. lb. range with his 3 wrenches.

My Snap On is nice for delicate fasteners because you can read the advancing torque like a dial wrench. I don't do torque to yield, heads, etc..
When compared to the Stahlwille and Norbar electronics the Snap on are a bargain. These are the Maybach and RR of torque tools but command a hefty price. Just 2 examples but some can cost much more. These are more suited to aviation and other industries than automotive.
The Snap on is perfect for automotive use in quality, function and price in the electronic models.

Last edited:
I bought this about two years ago, following @Trav 's advice. Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F Another tool that was well worth the money.
yep I got that one too. its great. Lifetime tool. Easy to use no need to 0 it out.

Note the one in their test is the OLD round handle vs the blue type pictured..
so that one they tested is (as they mentioned) an old model.

its actually fallen to near 150$ now thats a great price.

I have:

1/4" M1R200HX - 30 to 200 inch lbs (2.5 ft lbs - 16.67 ft lbs)

3/8" C2FR600H - 100 to 600 inch lbs (8.3 ft lbs - 50 ft lbs)

1/2" C3FR250F - 50 to 250 ft lbs.

Ideally I would also like to have a 3/8" that goes from 50-100 ft-lbs with angle capabilities.

Yeah, mental math at dinner time wasn’t useful.

I should have said high end of ~350 in lb. as that gets you a mid-high end of the accurate range around 30 ft-lb. That’s pretty ideal for smaller fasteners, oil drain plugs, cartridge filter caps, etc.

Last edited:
I do too...

I forget where I saw it, but I recall seeing that Precision instruments claims that their split beam wrenches are less accurate than others. Not much, I think it was like 4% vs 3%, not a huge deal.

I don’t think that accuracy is that concerning, especially at the relatively high values used here. For something that needs repeated torquing, being precise (thinking for example, lug bolts that could cause rotor warping) is more important. Consistent, repeated outcome versus being off by a few ft-lb.

For those who don’t recall the difference, from wiki:

And here it is:

(Testing out media gallery too.)

Glad to see a test. I have a nice Husky that my mom bought for me and a smaller HF one. It may not be nice compared to these but I like it. I’ve never used a beam style wrench to be honest. Wonder if it’s worth investing in?
Same here. Sad they didn't test the Husky against the Lowe's Kobalt, at the very least.

Well my buddy @Trav strikes again. I had this bookmarked from 2019 on Amazon, and pulled the trigger this morning. They dropped the price at a perfect time. I can retire my old Craftsman and replace it with something much better. 3/8" split beam.
Did you pay $117? How much did it drop?
Asking for a friend who doesn't need one but that never stopped him from buying more tools....

One thing: Minimum torque setting is 20 pound feet. I torque a lotta spark plugs. Honda and Toyletta are less than that.
Dang!

Last edited:
It is now at $127.42.
One thing: Minimum torque setting is 20 pound feet. I torque a lotta spark plugs. Honda and Toyletta are less than that.
Dang!

PI has a 120-600 in-lb (10-50 ft-lb) wrench for around $125

You're killing me... Wonder if it will drop in price?
You can get it for $112 at Zoro if you are eligible to get the 10% discount with first time email sign up.

Dang!

This is why I’m thinking to maybe get a mid range one good for 350 or 400 in-lb. I’m actually thinking about the precision instruments dial wrench, which has a range up to 400... as to me that’s a high enough usable range that will be just fine and accurate for smaller stuff like 15-25 ft-lb.

Dial wrenches can sometimes be difficult to read, and parallax error can occur.
so do you use deflecting beam? seems like it would have the same problem. or do y'all just go full-hog and get a digital wrench?

Back