Torque spec question

You don't need an angle TW for 60 degrees... It's 1 flat on the head of the bolt. IMO, this is why they pick values like 60 degrees.

just my $0.02
Especially in this application where the inside of the harmonic balancer has a hexagonal flat.

just because a fastener is specified with a torque turn specification, does not mean it is TTY... I am see more and more of this type of specification these days. The margin of error and chance for breaking on 47lbs-ft & 60 degrees is a lot less than straight up 181lbs-ft, especially if the fastener is close to yielding.

just my $0.02

You don't need an angle TW for 60 degrees... It's 1 flat on the head of the bolt. IMO, this is why they pick values like 60 degrees.

just my $0.02
What I used to think too. But a few weeks ago I did my first V8 with angle torque specs - access was terrible, and I couldn't do 90 deg in one go...so it became a bit of guess work. Specs for that engine ranged from 90 to 70 degrees, and even different ones again. I was going by the specs in the bolt package. I marked the bolthead, but that's still not very accurate.

What I used to think too. But a few weeks ago I did my first V8 with angle torque specs - access was terrible, and I couldn't do 90 deg in one go...so it became a bit of guess work. Specs for that engine ranged from 90 to 70 degrees, and even different ones again. I was going by the specs in the bolt package. I marked the bolthead, but that's still not very accurate.
90 degrees I get, that you can manage. On the other hand, 70 degrees is just lazy, PPE...

just my $0.02

Back