Torque for mower deck spindle on Toro 10-32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the 2 bearings on my mower deck spindle and am now putting everything back together. The mower is a Toro rear engine rider 10-32, Model 56190 circa 1992. The pulley sits on top of the upper bearing inner race and then a large nut screws on the spindle shaft on top of the pulley and holds everything tight.

The nut is rather large at 1 1/8", and when I disassembled I had to use a crescent wrench with a 2' long pipe over the wrench handle to break the nut loose. I didn't have a normal wrench that large. When I tighten the nut back up, does anyone know or have any ideas on how tight it should be? I don't want to put it on to loose but I am also worried about over-tightening since the pulley directly contacts the inner race of the bearing. Is there a point where you can tighten too much and put too much pressure on the bearing?

Also, I assume I need to put some grease on the shaft when I put everything back together. Would the Supertech general purpose grease at Wal-Mart work for that, or should I use something like white lithium or something else? Thanks for any help.

I would bet the bearings are sealed bearings so no need for any grease.

With straight bore bearings there is no need to worry about how tight you get the nut. Just get it good and tight without the cheater bar on the crescent wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back