Toro LX420 Mower Transaxle slipping, fix, & lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toro transaxle recently began slipping in forward and would barely go and slip going down hill. Reverse was fine. After taking it apart I found that the shift fork was worn on the side, more so in the reverse position. The outer sleeve bearings were nearly wore out. This is with only 200 hours. All the gears were in excellent condition with no visible wear.

Using the manufactures assembly diagram (https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=30272 ) I discovered that a washer was missing on the drive shaft (#8 part: "1125945" on the schematic and it was never installed at the factory) also there seemed to be excessive side play on the drive shaft. I ordered more shim washers (#3 on the schematic, they come in three different thicknesses, not specified in the parts list). I ordered one of each 112-0745, 112-0748 & 112-0750. Since there were already two installed on the right side of the drive shaft from the factory I had extra for shimming.

As it turns out #8: 1125945 (correct part number) did not fit the splined shaft and had to be ground out larger (washer is hardened). I added this washer to position 18 and moved one of two from position 20 on the right side of the shaft to position 3 on the left side. Two shims at position 20 were too much with the addition of #18. I also added a thick version of #3 and a thin version to position 3. This put a total of 4 washers on the left side. This left a little bit of needed side play. By clamping the case together and testing the rotation of the input shaft everything rotated as it should.

I tapped the case and added 2 grease zerks on the bottom side in the middle of the sleeve bearings. This should keep the outer sleeve bearings lubricated and from wearing out so soon. I lubricated all moving parts and refilled the case with 20 ounces of manufacture specified lube (NLGI "0" grease). This was obtained by contacting a Toro dealer. I used John Deere Corn head grease which is easy to obtain locally and was less than $4 per 14 oz. tube.

Others, including manufactures have suggested using Bentonite grease, it costs around $30 for 32 oz. not including shipping. I elected to go with NGLI "0" grease because it is easy to get, cheap and I can use a grease zerk to put more in. I assemble the case with RTV silicone, but not between the axle and inner cavity of the transaxle. After assembly, I pumped more grease in between the sleeve bearings, about 50 shots each side, since extra would just go in to the case. I ended up using both tubes of grease I bought, 28 ounces.

In addition, I disassembled the mower spindles--cleaned up the bearings. There was little sign of grease and each one had moisture damage from washing my mower deck. After repacking the bearings, I left the inner bearing seal off. I tapped the spindle and added a grease zerk and then pumped in marine grade EP lithium based NGLI "2" grease. The idler pulleys on the mower deck were running rough and so I removed the seals on them, cleaned and repacked. Everything runs much quieter and smoother. After 4 hours of operation the mower is going strong.

After seeing the moisture damage cased to poorly sealed bearings from under deck mower washing, I will rarely wash my mower deck, even running it after washing does little to remove moisture from bearings. I will just treat the underside with used motor oil, mow when dry (if possible) and periodically scape off the buildup. Debris that gets on top of the mower will be blown off with an air compressor....
smile.gif

I hope this helps someone else in maintaining and keeping their mower going. I spent about $80 in parts and lube, better than the $300 for a new transaxle, that won't be any better than what I have now.
smile.gif

Nice work Sir! You'll probably triple those hours now with your mods.

IMO, that ~200hr mark is unfortunately what riders of this flavor are designed around. I believe this is an MTD Toro.

Thanks--yes, I am pretty sure its an MTD. I wouldn't buy it again, but then I only paid about $700 for it new in 2007 as it was a close out model. I replaced the steering pinion gear at about 150 hours, so it isn't very well made--except for maybe the kohler engine. I bought some MTD blades that were junk, they lasted about 25 hours and were very soft metal (my genuine HONDA blades are harder steel and still going strong after 25+ years on my Honda self propelled walk behind). Its all about profit now--no one wants you to keep your stuff running for 30 years. Shameful waste of natural resources if you ask me....
cool.gif

Well done, I love hearing about others who would rather open up a gearcase and fix what's wrong instead of buying the same slapped together sub-standard unit.

The freebie I'm working on now is a Toro 16-38XL with a 6 speed trans that I replaced the shift fingers on when my friend owned it. It would not stay in gears 1-3 and reverse only worked occasionally. They weren't worn down all that much but there was so much play in how the gears and shaft fit together that it only took a little wear for them to no longer engage. Trans worked great up to the point where he couldn't get it to turn over and start anymore, thus why I got it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back