Mower deck vibration solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back My Cub Cadet Rider suddenly developed a nasty vibration in the mower deck.

So...checking the nuts holding the blades; one was loose.
Problem solved, I thought. No, the problem remained after tightening the nuts. Drat!

Next I removed, sharpened and balanced all three blades.
No joy found.

Next I checked for bent blades. Aha!
One blade appeared "slightly" bent when rotated against a sight reference!

Sixty bucks later I installed three new blades.
The mower was still afflicted with the shakes.
crazy2.gif

Even worse one of the blades still appeared bent when rotated.
Then the light bulb comes on.....

Since it's the same spindle that appears to have a bent blade, must be a bent spindle.

Several $$$ later I am getting ready to loosen the nut on the pulley side of the spindle....

THEN REALITY STRIKES.

I find and remove the piece of twig that was wedged in the pulley!!!
33.gif

Problem solved!!

The slightly bent spindle has no detectable effect whatsoever.
With the exception of assisting in emptying my wallet somewhat.

I assume the loose nut (the one on the blade) was caused by all the vibration.

Sometimes education comes with a price tag attached.
blush.gif

Maybe this will save some one from a costly misdiagnosis.

Rickey.

I've seen various things cause vibs, but not that one!

Now you've got some spare parts and more deck knowledge for your machine than you probably wanted.

Out of curiosity, what model Cub?

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've seen various things cause vibs, but not that one!

Now you've got some spare parts and more deck knowledge for your machine than you probably wanted.

Out of curiosity, what model Cub?

Joel

Joel, greetings.

Yes, more knowledge than I wanted
(especially considering price)
grin2.gif

It's an LT 1045 with the 20 HP Kohler Courage single.

As it turns out there are three (or more?) slightly different mower deck configurations for this model.
These different configurations have some parts variability. (more possible confusion
cry.gif
)

There was even a short run of LT 1045 with a 20 HP Kohler Courage V-twin!
It was rumored that MTD ran out of 20 Hp singles.

My machine has had a few little nit-picky problems and nothing major failed.
Five years mowing my one acre lot and it is still strong as ever.
cool.gif

Another gotcha:

If the belt runs off, and you run over it before the blades come to a stop.....OUCH!!!!
It happened to me once.
New Kevlar belt at local big box hardware store = @ $30.00.

I found that increasing idler pulley spring tension cured the belt throwing problems. New springs were obtained from the same local big box hardware store.

I modified one of the spring perches with a threaded eye bolt equipped with a locking nut.
This eye bolt along with the use of a shorter spring allows me to obtain adjustable belt tension.
This modification has worked well for me so far.

Good day.

Rickey.

Oh man!! All that work and money for a twig. At least you have a deck in top condition. We have all been there at least once in our lives. Glad you found the issue!

Originally Posted By: Rickey

I found that increasing idler pulley spring tension cured the belt throwing problems. New springs were obtained from the same local big box hardware store.

I modified one of the spring perches with a threaded eye bolt equipped with a locking nut.
This eye bolt along with the use of a shorter spring allows me to obtain adjustable belt tension.

Good day.

Rickey.

Good Man!

I was going to suggest the spring tension thing to you. You wouldn't believe the amount of Cub 1000 series owners who gave up on these machines because of this simple issue.

You'd think Cub/MTD would catch on, but they don't.

Keep that deck set so it doesn't bounce around on the ground (too badly) and it will last for many years.

Keep the hydro blown off so it can keep itself cool. You might want/have to do an oil drain/fill on the hydro at some point too.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Rickey

Good day.

Rickey.

Good Man!

I was going to suggest the spring tension thing to you. You wouldn't believe the amount of Cub 1000 series owners who gave up on these machines because of this simple issue.

You'd think Cub/MTD would catch on, but they don't.

Keep that deck set so it doesn't bounce around on the ground (too badly) and it will last for many years.

Keep the hydro blown off so it can keep itself cool. You might want/have to do an oil drain/fill on the hydro at some point too.

Joel

Joel,

Yes Sir, we are on the same page!

I changed the hydro fluid at 25 hours to get the break in wear metals out....what a chore!
I used M1 15W50 with a little VSOT additive for EP protection.
I first flushed the trans-axle with MMO until it was "glitter free".
Chucking the correct size socket in a hand drill allowed me to drive the hydro while removed to circulate the MMO flush.

I also upped the spring tension on the Hydro belt as it would slip on steep grades.
Now she will pull the front wheels given enough traction.

The hydro belt idler was making an annoying rapping noise.
Milling the associated step washer for less clearance cured this.
A long chore because the idler bolt head was blocked by the upper stamped body assembly.

Cub/MTD needed to refine their product a little in this instance IMHO.

Just to demonstrate the fanaticism of "some" engineering types:

I fitted brass bushings into the plastic mower deck wheels for added wear resistance.
lol.gif

Good day Sir.

Rickey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back