First New Mower! (CC XT1)

How do you pre-fill a filter mounted horizontal? Would love to know.
If never done set on bench fill filter the media will absorb all oil with initial fill. Fill filter second time and instal if never done and it’s done thousands of times youjust be quick to spin on. Subaru mounted filter upside down is done the same way along with my 4,0lL Toyota I it’s really not a big deal to do.

So I've finally got mowing with this thing down so no more unevenness. The occasional bump will do it, but my yard is very bumpy. I did do the break in oil change yesterday (a little early, but I was bored). In case anybody has one of these a Hastings LF149 will fit. It's a little fatter, but the gasket size is exactly the same. It also clears the steering arm at full tilt.

rv3ziEr.jpg

vNdo8aC.jpg

So it's pretty much the end of the season, and I'm happy to report I've been completely satisfied with my purchase. My only problem is I don't have enough grass to mow now :LOL:

I used to hate mowing grass and didn't realize having a better mower would make all the difference. The 46" deck is a little bit bigger than I need on the yards, but I plan on moving somewhere with more land eventually. This is the first rider I've had with two blades so it took a little getting used to, but after that it cuts real well. It will throw the grass a good ways and not clog up. I did recently purchase the mulching kit to use in the fall to mulch the leaves because I'm lazy and do not feel like raking or bagging. It works well, but I wouldn't keep it on there for my grass. Maybe other yards, but not mine.

The 22HP Kohler has been a solid performer and has never bogged down even in the thick grass I have here. There's only been two minor issues in the 10 hours on it. First one was the nipple coming out of the engine for the oil drain was a little loose from factory. Unfortunately to tighten it I had to remove two engine bolts and lift the engine. This was no real biggie to me as I have every tool to do the job, but the average homeowner might not. There also seems to be an excessive (to me) amount of oil coming out of the breather into the air filter. It might be normal, who knows I've never had a small engine with this design. Oil level has not changed, so I'll just keep an eye on it. Since this is an oil forum, my oil of choice was Rotella T5 10w30. Probably will continue to use it.

The hydrostatic transmission has been wonderful and is great for my irregular yard. It is a little noisy at full speed, but it's no BMW, it's a mower. 😁

For a consumer grade mower I've been happy. I know it's an MTD with a Cub Cadet sticker slapped on it, but it suits my need. I know Lowes carries the exact same mower in a Craftsman variant, the T240. I wouldn't hesitate to own either. My neighbor has the XT2 version and is happy with it as well.

(Yes I know the garage is a mess, I'm running out of room!)
xoeioVe.jpg

This was before I got the mulching kit, but even then it did well on the leaves.

gpcNpzc.jpg

Sorry for the longer read, but figure I'd give you guys my end of season thoughts incase someone is looking for a similar mower.

So it's pretty much the end of the season, and I'm happy to report I've been completely satisfied with my purchase. My only problem is I don't have enough grass to mow now :LOL:

I used to hate mowing grass and didn't realize having a better mower would make all the difference. The 46" deck is a little bit bigger than I need on the yards, but I plan on moving somewhere with more land eventually. This is the first rider I've had with two blades so it took a little getting used to, but after that it cuts real well. It will throw the grass a good ways and not clog up. I did recently purchase the mulching kit to use in the fall to mulch the leaves because I'm lazy and do not feel like raking or bagging. It works well, but I wouldn't keep it on there for my grass. Maybe other yards, but not mine.

The 22HP Kohler has been a solid performer and has never bogged down even in the thick grass I have here. There's only been two minor issues in the 10 hours on it. First one was the nipple coming out of the engine for the oil drain was a little loose from factory. Unfortunately to tighten it I had to remove two engine bolts and lift the engine. This was no real biggie to me as I have every tool to do the job, but the average homeowner might not. There also seems to be an excessive (to me) amount of oil coming out of the breather into the air filter. It might be normal, who knows I've never had a small engine with this design. Oil level has not changed, so I'll just keep an eye on it. Since this is an oil forum, my oil of choice was Rotella T5 10w30. Probably will continue to use it.

The hydrostatic transmission has been wonderful and is great for my irregular yard. It is a little noisy at full speed, but it's no BMW, it's a mower. 😁

For a consumer grade mower I've been happy. I know it's an MTD with a Cub Cadet sticker slapped on it, but it suits my need. I know Lowes carries the exact same mower in a Craftsman variant, the T240. I wouldn't hesitate to own either. My neighbor has the XT2 version and is happy with it as well.

xoeioVe.jpg

This was before I got the mulching kit, but even then it did well on the leaves.

gpcNpzc.jpg

Sorry for the longer read, but figure I'd give you guys my end of season thoughts incase someone is looking for a similar mower.

Mulching leaves is great fertilizer. I am set to aerate my yard today after mulching leaves for about a month here in Eastern Iowa. This way it will let water and air down to the roots of the grass. Makes for a healthy lawn.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for the update! I strongly considered an XT1 but with the EFI engine only for the fact that I'm more adept at fixing/diagnosing EFI than I am a carb. I ended up with a used Toro Wheelhorse, I was worried the terrain in parts of my yard would tear up a newer mower. Last mower I had to retire due to a bent front axle, presumably from the ruts in my yard.

I plan on moving in the next year or two, the XT1 or XT2 if I can afford it will be on the short list. My dad has an XT1 for his small yard and is happy with it.

Quikely fill the filter with oil and wait a few seconds. The level of oil
will drop some. Tilt the filter to about a 45° angle and turn one turn.
The level will drop some more as the media soaks up the oil.
Oil the gasket and quickly put filter on engine.
Have done that a dozen times will no leaking of oil.

My 2¢

xoeioVe.jpg

gpcNpzc.jpg

Good to hear you’re enjoying your mower. I’m considering a similar one as I’m a bit tired of walking behind my self propelled Honda.
Oh, btw, your garage is not a mess...mine is! :ROFLMAO:

Add a little oil to it and then spin it until the oil soaks into the filter media . Do this a couple of times and then install the filter . You won't be able to to fill it up obviously but you'll get a head start on it .

I have the exact same mower. It has been great for me. A note on the transmission. Mine is a 2015 model, but yours should be the same Tuff-Torq K46. It is 'filled for life'. If you plan on keeping the mower long term, plan on swapping out the oil in the transmission. There is no drain plug, so you have to pull the unit out of the tractor, pull the plug, and flip it over to drain. I've done this twice now, once at 10 hours and once at 25. The first fill was with Delvac 15W-40 and the second with Mobil1 5W-50. The trans works great and no longer makes the noise that you're probably hearing.

The factory fill is just not great.

I do use auto filters on the Kholer, but I've forgotten what the cross-reference is. I think it was to a Toyota engine, but I'd have to verify that.

ANother option. Pour oil into filter till almost full. Wait a few seconds.
Oil level in filter should drop some. Tilt filter to a 45° angle and turn
filter one whole turn. Media should absorb some more oil.
Oil gasket and position filter close to mounting nipple/lug.
Quickly spin filter on. Shouldn't spill any oil.

My 2¢

Factory fill on the Tuff Torq K46 is 10W-30, but Tuff Torq says refill with 5W-50...

5W-50 is hard to find, so most people use 15W-50...

Look at NAPA for house brand in quarts, or Wal-Mart for a jug of Mobil 1...

NAPA 15W-50, $3.39 a quart, monthly special...

That will work, but, but my opinion is to use the best oil you can get your hands on for it unless you're going to change it every 50 hours or so (It's only a little under 2qts). That rear end runs HOT especially if you're doing any hills or pulling anything. The cooling setup isn't the greatest either as the fan is fairly weak and stops as soon as you set the parking brake, so you can't even let it sit there and idle to cool down unless you're going to sit on it or disable the seat safety.

I suspect that's why they call for the 5W-50, they know it will probably be mostly built of stronger stuff than the 15W-50.

One thing I did notice with the 15W-40 on mine was that when it was cold, it was very touchy on the speed control until it warmed up and thinned out a little. Not sure how it would have reacted if I'd run it in the wintertime to do anything.

I did possibly find out why it was cutting uneven. With all the roof replacements around here from the hailstorm we had, I picked up a roofing staple on my journey home. The left side tire was 1/2 the PSI of the other side so that might have something to do with it. Brand new mower with 1 hour and I have 2 tire plugs, definitely my luck. Did learn how to plug a tire though :LOL: Also did some measuring and it looks like a Fram 4967 or Hastings LF410 oil filter will work. I'll pick up a Fram at WM since I need to pick up a couple things tomorrow. I need a couple filters for some other things so I'll order a couple Hastings to have on hand for later.

I did find out the deck wash system is kinda useless on built up grass. I just got out my Rhino Ramps and dug it out by hand followed by a spray of the hose. Messy, but oh well.
When I went from a 30” Craftsman single blade to a 42” Craftsman dual blade … found I had to mow with the deck higher which was better overall for the grass. There is still one area I have to mow by backing in and out of because running perpendicular will scalp a bit …

Back