toro super recycler with b&s engine HomeDepot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bubbatime
I came here to tell the OP how mistaken he must have been, because the Super Recyler is ONLY sold at Toro dealers, and not big box stores.

But low and behold, the HD website has two models of Super Recyler sold on the website. Also comes with new black paint on the deck, which might distinguish HD mowers from Toro dealer mowers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-21...c-Start-with-FLEX-Handle-21387/311048307

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-21...s-Engine-and-FLEX-Handle-21386/311047054

Steel deck vs aluminum?

Well, this is new and intriguing. All black with the bagger looks sleek.

But I never buy new anyways. Toro's in both super and regular recycler flavors can be found on most weekends for free /on the curb up here in Toro's home state. I went thru flipping a dozen and a half or so of them last season.

As far as being only at dealers for the super as stated before that what caught my attention first at HD. Wish I could get the 190cc engine without the electric start. I do not need the stow away feature.I just need a little more info on the B&S 163 engine.

That 190cc engine has a pull cord. Just remove the battery if you are not interested in the electric start feature and use the pull cord. 190cc engines are a beast and will power through tall grass.

HD site describes the deck as "durable deck with a steel frame". Toro site says cast aluminum. If that's the difference, I'd choose the cast aluminum from a Toro dealer.

Originally Posted by jkasch
HD site describes the deck as "durable deck with a steel frame". Toro site says cast aluminum. If that's the difference, I'd choose the cast aluminum from a Toro dealer.

I could have sworn I saw aluminum in the description when I was at HD.Next time I am there I need to take a pic of the description and go hands on.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
Well, this is new and intriguing. All black with the bagger looks sleek.

But I never buy new anyways. Toro's in both super and regular recycler flavors can be found on most weekends for free /on the curb up here in Toro's home state. I went thru flipping a dozen and a half or so of them last season.

Ouch. I paid like $110 Canadian for my 1999 recycler less than 2 years ago. But it's worked pretty well flawless since then. I haven't even touched the air filter or spark plug yet. If the newer ones are as good as this I'd buy another.

not sure about the trouble with the personal pace drive system...my rear drive recycler with personal pace and tecumseh motor is going on 15 years old and 600 hours of use and it has been flawless...nothing wrong other than the wheels getting a little wobbly and a spot or 2 of rust starting to form on the deck.

When this one finally gives up I'm planning on going with the aluminum deck, Honda powered super recycler...that mower will probably outlive me!

Originally Posted by iahawk
not sure about the trouble with the personal pace drive system...my rear drive recycler with personal pace and tecumseh motor is going on 15 years old and 600 hours of use and it has been flawless...nothing wrong other than the wheels getting a little wobbly and a spot or 2 of rust starting to form on the deck.

When this one finally gives up I'm planning on going with the aluminum deck, Honda powered super recycler...that mower will probably outlive me!

I've never seen an issue with the personal pace gearbox itself in all of the Toros I've fixed/serviced. If they aren't driving correctly, there is either an issue with the drive wheels (stripped plastic gears from abuse), the belt, or the engagement cable needs to be adjusted. 95% of the time the problem is the cable adjustment. It is a very simple and nice to use drive system.

you people do realize that the personal pace system works by just slipping the belt . that's why you have to nudge it along with a little help from you. I want a self propel system to pull me along. not the other way around.

Originally Posted by super20dan
you people do realize that the personal pace system works by just slipping the belt . that's why you have to nudge it along with a little help from you. I want a self propel system to pull me along. not the other way around.

I'm guessing you haven't used it? I've never had to nudge it along. When you push down on the lever it tightens the belt tension. All you have to do is walk behind it.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I'm guessing you haven't used it? I've never had to nudge it along. When you push down on the lever it tightens the belt tension. All you have to do is walk behind it.

If you need to nudge it, you need to adjust the drive cable. Should just be push down on the handle and off it goes.

Different flavors for different folks. I have hills. I'd rather have a "push" assisted self propel for the down sides so it doesn't run away from me.

Last edited:
Properly adjusted, my personal pace Toro feels weightless when going forward. Totally disengages when backing up.

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan

That's why I love mowing with my vintage Lawn Boys. My 5024 Bricktop weighs in at approximately 46lbs with a full tank of gas!

I'm trying to imagine mowing with half the weight.

My MTD Gold is a typical B&S 163cc FWD sold under various brand names in box stores. An online page says it weighs 90 pounds.
My Dirty Hand Tools 160cc Honda RWD's owner's manual says it weighs 88 pounds.
https://dirtyhandtools.com/product/dirty-hand-tools-21-in-self-propelled-lawn-mower-honda-engine/

One of those is lying.
THE DHT easily feels beefier. Thicker handle, wheels, wheel mounting areas, etc.
The MTD is built "ok," but I avoid manhandling it to avoid possibly breaking the handle or wheel mount areas.
Ok, the MTD actually feels somewhat flimsy.
The DHT feels heavier and more bulky.

It's fun switching between them since it's like driving two different cars. Nimble but skittish FWD vs luxury cruiser RWD that powerslides.

It's also surprisingly fun to talk about lawn mowers in the middle of January while expecting 5 more inches of snow tomorrow.

I have had 20 plus year old Toro mowers in my inventory that have never needed a new belt. It takes 25 seconds to properly adjust the belt/cable. And its durable as all get out. Best system there is. Period. And Ive owned/fixed/sold/repaired hundreds of mowers to compare....

Home Depot site has an error. I noticed that as well. Its definitely a standard aluminum frame deck, just like all the others.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Home Depot site has an error. I noticed that as well. Its definitely a standard aluminum frame deck, just like all the others.

The way I read it was "durable deck = aluminum deck" and "with a steel frame = steel handle" but that's cause I have gone thru a bunch of Supers. Definitely confusing for anyone trying to discern the difference from regular recycler to super recycler.

have owned a personal pace toro and sold it right away. hate the drive system. the older toro system was the best selfpropel system ever sold. I have ones 30 years old still working. toro cheaped out and dropped the ball. I use mostly snappers now. at least they didn't go to a half assed system like toro did. I do lawn service for a living. I know mowers

The Super Recycler appears to have metal gears in the transmission which should hold up better. I salvaged a 2007 Super Recycler and I'm anxious for spring to get here so I can mow with it. Good to know they're going back to Briggs and hopefully they're still made in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back