toro repower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a yanmar diesel clone sitting in my garage, with the intention of doing a riding mower repower. Thanks to the recent blizzard, I decided to use the engine for a snowblower project instead. My little yard machines single stage wasn't cutting it. I picked up a toro 8/26 self-propelled two stage blower with a blown engine for a song and a dance, in great working shape otherwise. Anyone here pull off a project like this before? I'd like to know what mistakes you might have made so I can avoid 'em. Judging by engine appearance (looks like an old tecumseh), I'm guessing this is a late 70's/very early 80's unit I'm playing with.

I don't have any advice, having repowered with "chonda" gas according to plan, but I want to see a video of this thing running.
cheers3.gif

If the motor is a lot heavier than the stocker it might shift the weight around... so you have to lift the handles so it'll dig into snow for example.

I'm going to mic the shaft and start figuring out what parts I might need today, but there is a video of a guy who did the exact same thing on youtube. Just use "diesel snowblower" as your search words.

Well guys, I was hoping to make a real accomplishment here, but it's looking like this is gonna be a simple bolt-in project. Shaft dimensions including the keyway, mounting bolt locations, and distance to shaft from the bottom of the block are an exact match to the original gasser. The only thing I'll need to fabricate is an adapter for throttle control via the original cable, and that's if I don't want to run it by hand. The electric start tumbler has a different style mount, but that shouldn't be to hard to rig up. I'm guessing my next afternoon off, the swap will be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back