TORO lawn mower oil question

My son just bought a almost new TORO mower from his friend. In looking at it there is a sticker that states never change the oil just add when necessary. Never heard of that before, is it a gimmick?

I guess it's supposed to appeal to the average home owner who doesn't want to deal with maintenance.

Changing couldn't be simpler, though, just take out the dipstick and tip the mower on its side to dump the old stuff out.

This has been around for about 5 years now? The manufactures guess the average home owner might mow their grass 28 times a year at 40 minutes a cut-who knows.
That is 18.7 hours run time per year. 187 running hours a decade. Does the oil really need changed every 18.7 hours of run time? Highly doubtful.

This has been around for about 5 years now? The manufactures guess the average home owner might mow their grass 28 times a year at 40 minutes a cut-who knows.
That is 18.7 hours run time per year. 187 running hours a decade. Does the oil really need changed every 18.7 hours of run time? Highly doubtful.
Hey! Quit being logical and taking away our chance to feel indignant. :)

Question? Why don't people just pass on a post rather than give a negative response. My bad for not checking first on the question but give me a break!

I wouldn’t say it’s completely a gimmick. The average homeowner probably doesn’t even change the oil ever. I would change a few times to get break in metal out, then oil changes every 25hrs or 1 year, whichever comes first. Spark plug every 100 hours. Make sure you have a pre filter for air filter. Lubricate wheels, keep deck clean, keep blade sharp. Keep mower clean.

Question? Why don't people just pass on a post rather than give a negative response. My bad for not checking first on the question but give me a break!
This is a tough crowd here at BITOG. Unfortunate to say, but you have to be thick skinned sometimes. Other times, the crowd here is awesome.

My son just bought a almost new TORO mower from his friend. In looking at it there is a sticker that states never change the oil just add when necessary. Never heard of that before, is it a gimmick?
Sales gimmick to lure the ignorant and lazy to buy the product. With no oil changes, the engine should easily survive the warranty period which is all the engine/mower manufacturer aims for. The mower can be tipped to drain oil just like any other.

You may not believe it, but to help you. I don’t really consider telling you we just did it as negative anyway. Like perhaps you will go find the thread that is already going and read it, because many who just replied on a topic may not do so again.

Definitely a gimmick, you can change the oil by tipping it over and pouring it out through the dipstick, like is already standard procedure on Honda powered mowers.

I'd run a good HDEO like Rotella 15w40.

Back