Help me decide on new mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am needing a new lawn mower for my yard. I have a Honda HRB216HXA.
This is the backyard, the front is average size flickr

I am looking at another Honda. Or a higher end Snapper or a Toro.
I have a Toro snow blower so should get a Toro lawn mower LOL.
I question the 159cc engine, not sure of who even builds that engine.
Then again who owns who in the OPE world is clear as mud!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Whats wrong with your existing mower, Honda's last forever when looked after

A tranny issue. Its making a awful noise when engaged. Its the hydrostatic.
I cant remove one of the rear wheels either to see what is up. Its been a great mower for 13 years. Taken care of too. Stored inside, oil changed twice a season.
Washed waxed too.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

I cant remove one of the rear wheels either to see what is up. Its been a great mower for 13 years. Taken care of too. Stored inside, oil changed twice a season.
Washed waxed too.

Get a used tranny from eBay and keep the beast

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

Washed waxed too.

Get a used tranny from eBay and keep the beast

Yeah, thinking of keeping it as a back up.

Consider a Swedish Rider by Husqvarna. They are sold in AWD and 2WD models. I own one and love it!
smile.gif

No they don't the transmissions mess up.

I was in the same boat last year. I bought another Honda. My trans was still OK, but I started having too many little things go bad: a couple return springs on the trans controls, the clutch cable, the recoil starter and an oil leak. Not too bad for a 1988, so I figured I'd just get a new one. Its been great, and if you have the double blade setup it will work on the new one.

Originally Posted By: CT8
No they don't the transmissions mess up.

My 1988 Honda runs like it was new. Should last 30 More years

Your 1988 Honda is probably different than the OP's HRB.

The HRB was kind of an odd bird. I think it was Honda's first resin deck, but it still had their commercial OHV engine (GXV140). Today's analog to that mower, the HRX, has the residential OHC engine (GCV190). I don't know if the HRB's transmission was a residential grade transmission or not. I'm not terribly familiar with them. If it's similar to the transmission used in some of their residential-marketed steel deck mowers, then it's probably like them and...um...less than durable.

Your 1988 Honda is probably a lot like my 2001 Honda Masters -- it's a real tank...THICK aluminum deck, GXV140 OHV engine, 3-speed shaft-driven transmission, ball bearing wheels, blade clutch, etc. You cannot just flick this mower around -- you have to drive it. But it'll last 50 years, and it's every bit a commercial-grade mower on part with the likes of the aluminum Toro Super Recyclers, older Snappers, etc. 'Specially when used in a residential environment.

Mine's a 2001 and you'd never guess it wasn't new. I love that mower.

Those Saber mowers are interesting. Nice aluminum deck with bottom-tier Briggs OHV engines. They do look strikingly like a Lawn-Boy. I wonder if they bought the tooling from Toro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back