Toro 60V recycler 21356 vs Snapper commercial and Lawn Boy 2 stroke

I recently purchased a 60V Toro 60V mower for $399 at the Depot, as my wife can no longer start the gas mowers. It's a new model without the personal pace setup I find so annoying. It comes with a 60V 6AH battery. It has a thick steel deck, and a conventional "thick" mower blade (not a razor thin flexible one that is so common on E-Mowers) .

Bottom line: I love the thing.

Keep in mind, I mow with a tractor and the push mower is for tight spots and finishing.

The cut is absolutely acceptable, but not absolutely perfect. The blade runs most of the time at a lower than typical RPM (I'll measure it to see just what RPM it runs at) and that results in mulching that is not quite 100% with just a touch of grass remaining on top (not much). However, when the load increases, such as when in really tall grass, the RPM increases too, in multiple steps. Forcing the mower into a pile of leaves results in some pretty righteous RPM and good mulching. I like this low blade RPM a lot, as it does not drive massive dust or clippings into the air. Using this thing is an absolute joy. It's box fan quiet and treats the nose right! Oh, and this thing is stupidly light. So it's great in tight areas and for mowing the banks of the canals.

The 6AH battery lasts about 30 minutes of serious mowing, about 1/2 what the commercial Snapper can do, and exactly the same as the Two Stroke mower. The Lawn Boy Silver Series 6.5HP is the hands down HP winner. It flat out cuts any high grass at any pace. And that's where this gets interesting. The Electric can also cut thick grass, as the motor cranks up as necessary. I simply don't squeeze the lever as much and the wheel speed slows down enough to keep the mowing happening without stalling, it's got the power when it needs it. Very nice! The old Snapper commercial is the tank of the bunch, and even with it's swiveling front wheels, is just a pain to use and a fight when it's on a hill. Even with the Honda 190 engine, the Snapper seems down on power, and gets bogged down in thick grass when compared to the Lawn Boy or the Electric. What the Snapper can do, is any number of hours of hard core mowing without missing a beat.

Conclusion: I love it for what it is, light, vibration-free, quiet, very powerful.

Last edited:
Those look like a great machine. Personally I’d prefer some sort of rpm boost button or better yet a throttle to control blade speed but that load sensing system is clever too.

Those look like a great machine. Personally I’d prefer some sort of rpm boost button or better yet a throttle to control blade speed but that load sensing system is clever too.
I thought so too, but not only is it not necessary, it makes the thing stupidly easy and intuitive to work with. The programming is so good, it simply ramps up with load, and only as much as needed. Toro makes a commercial version with a high speed setting, and I considered it. But I'm finding that the lower RPM is wonderful for dust and clipping suppression.

Like you, I use walk behinds for trimming. I have a trio of mowers. A Toro 3speed rear bagger with a Suzuki 4 stroke. A steel deck Lawnboy pusher with an F series 2stroke, and a 4 stroke LB with personal pace . Of the 3 The Lawnboy 2 stroke is the lightest and most maneuverable. As nice as an electric mower sounds to operate, I'd want an hr's worth of run time. I should renovate the Silver series aluminum deck F series pusher I've been hanging onto :cool:

Gas push mowers are going to start becoming a rare commodity I think. In my FL neighborhood most people that don't use a service either have electric/battery mowers, or the battery robots. The robots really took off this year, it was like everyone keeping up with the jonses.

Lol, yep... lawnbots are catching on Florida just behind Delta variant covid. But I have acerage and lake side field to knock down. Gasser all the way, a 21" trimmer mower right behind a 54" Deere home tractor.

The property itself, not even thinking of down-field mowing is just a ½acre. Would Cujet's mower handle this on a single charge? Would I need a spare Li-Ion pack "just in case"?

Oh and most importantly, your standard gas powered machine totally thrashes your lawn to the tune of about 500 cuts/sec. Think of that musical hum when your base engine speed it set at about 3800 RPM. ^.^

The property itself, not even thinking of down-field mowing is just a ½acre. Would Cujet's mower handle this on a single charge? Would I need a spare Li-Ion pack "just in case"?
Mine came with a 6AH battery. I'm sure it will not do a true half acre of grass. I have 2 acres of land, some of which is grass, but use a JD garden tractor to mow. The Toro certainly runs longer than I need for finish mowing, and I can do the canal banks too. They claim up to 40 minutes run time, but I get about 30 minutes of use.

I'll have to do a test.

Toro rates the Commercial version of this mower at 0.4 acres, and that's with the 7.5AH battery.

Keep in mind, if the house is in the middle of the half acre, the lawn is smaller than that.

Last edited:
Back