torn purolater wrecked my motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If oil filters are capable of causing that type of catastrophic damage to an engine, then from now on I am only going to purchase filters encased in titanium that are rated to filter nuclear waste down to one unicorn tear.

Anyone stating that damage is from the oil filter obviously has very little real-world experience and/or common sense. By that reasoning most OPE should be DESTROYED as many have no oil filter.

Likely the engine failed due to low oil and/or pressure, grenaded itself and those bits are what tore/punctured the oil filter.

I have an 05 Civic closing in on 300k miles. Its had over 40 oil changes using Purolator filters and Valvoline white bottle 5W20. Engine still runs like new and burns virtually no oil. With the prevalence of torn Purolators, I'm sure I've had some torn ones among those 40.

On the other hand, I'm not using any more Purolators on it or on my 15 Civic, when there are better alternatives available for about the same price.

OP, I'm sure there are a lot of 7th gen civics in junkyards. They sold a ton of them, they're 10-15 years old, and tend to be driven a lot by "boy racers", and may or may not have had the required timing belt changes. Properly cared for and driven, the 1.7 is pretty darn reliable.

Last edited:
This makes me laugh.

The OP appears to be buying Hondas with already heavily damaged engines. Now he blames Purolator on the damaged engine.

The old VW Beetle had simply a screen and those little engines ran for a very long time with simple oil changes.

No way would a torn filter cause catastrophic engine damage.

Engine damage probably occurred during a "sudden acceleration" episode.

Purolator is off the hook.

Sue Honda instead. Deeper pockets.

I'd sue your psychiatrist too. He's not cutting the mustard.

Delusion is a great state of mind as long as you don't let reality seep in.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Engine damage probably occurred during a "sudden acceleration" episode.

Purolator is off the hook.

Sue Honda instead. Deeper pockets.

I'd sue your psychiatrist too. He's not cutting the mustard.

Delusion is a great state of mind as long as you don't let reality seep in.

What's with the personal attacks right out of the blue? Really, are you going that low now? Wow ...

To attribute that kind of engine damage to an oil filter is delusional.

Better to understand that now rather than the OP spend money and effort down a bad path.

Hypothetically, had the offending filter been a FRAM, I wonder just how thoughtful and PC you would have been.

Better to understand that now rather than the OP spend money and effort down a bad path.

Hypothetically, had the offending filter been a FRAM, I wonder just how thoughtful and PC you would have been.

Spare us with the anti Fram stuff dude.

Do you still have sand up there??

Dude, did you even read what I said about the OP's engine failure. Take off the hate glasses.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I'd say way up there ... for quite some time now. LoL

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I'd say way up there ... for quite some time now. LoL

It is an ongoing thing like toddlers sticking their tongues out at each other.

Id hate to hear his view on politics and other current hot topics.

I think if you could have put that oil filter on a healthy engine without ANY media paper it would not soon have caused damage. In a healthy engine there is very little debris contained in the oil. The only way that filter caused damage was if some part of it came out of the filter and plugged up the oil pump or oil gallery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back