Top tier gasoline gone?

Just noticed today my local Valero brand station has a new sticker in the pumps stating that supply chain issues are causing a top tier additive shortage

Attachments

• 20220316_202411.jpg
    20220316_202411.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 120
Does anyone know for sure what the "additives " are? Or is this some "top secret blend" like Coke, or Colonel Sanders Recipe, that they carry around in a briefcase, handcuffed to someone's wrist?

Does anyone know for sure what the "additives " are? Or is this some "top secret blend" like Coke, or Colonel Sanders Recipe, that they carry around in a briefcase, handcuffed to someone's wrist?

They are proprietary, but you might be able to find some of the stuff on safety data sheets. This one is for Afton HiTec 6590, which purports to be suitable for minimum concentration up to Top Tier certification. I would probably be fraud to cheat on all this stuff. It mostly lists solvents, which makes sense. The only thing listed that isn't a solvent is "Polyolefin alkyl phenol alkyl amine", which is apparently a specific variety of polyether amine. However, the specific mixture is proprietary. It might not even be controllable since a lot of these chemicals are sold as a range of molecular weights and not pure chemicals.

download

Top Tier doesn't make anything. All they do is list minimum quantities of detergents in excess of EPA requirements. You can find pdfs from Top Tier if you search.

Shell still uses their proprietary detergents. Chevron/Texaco still uses their proprietary detergents. Costco still uses whatever is lowest cost at the local fuel depot. At most Top Tier audits the station's purchase records to ensure sufficient detergents were purchased for the quantities of gasoline sold.

Top Tier doesn't make anything. All they do is list minimum quantities of detergents in excess of EPA requirements. You can find pdfs from Top Tier if you search.

Shell still uses their proprietary detergents. Chevron/Texaco still uses their proprietary detergents. Costco still uses whatever is lowest cost at the local fuel depot. At most Top Tier audits the station's purchase records to ensure sufficient detergents were purchased for the quantities of gasoline sold.

Not exactly. Top Tier specifies a minimum performance standard for detergent fuel additives. The minimum quantity is then set by a test using that amount. They can always use more if they want.

"Proprietary" really only means "secret". It doesn't mean that the seller necessarily developed it in-house. None of Shell's subsidiaries is listed on the EPA certified detergent additives list. The only ones I can guarantee are would be Techron (listed as a Chevron product), and BP's Invigorate, which is listed under BASF. Or Sunoco. Other than that, it's all independent chemical companies like BASF, Afton, Lubrizol, etc.

Costco is kind of different. I figured out that they use whatever is at the local fuel terminal as it's a requirement that there be a "lowest additive concentration" before it leaves the terminal. However, then they dose it with their blend that Lubrizol developed for them when it arrives at the station. That alone should be enough to meet their Top Tier requirements.

NukfqzC.jpg

Last edited:
I hope stations re-apply the Top Tier stickers to their pumps when they're able to consistently return to TT additive levels. Particularly QuikTrip in metro Atlanta. They took their stickers off the pumps a few months ago yet continue to be listed on the TT website, which is confusing. Now every time I fill up at QT, I'm left wondering if I'm getting any worthy additive levels or should I have gone to Shell which has never removed their stickers.

..... Now every time I fill up at QT, I'm left wondering if I'm getting any worthy additive levels or should I have gone to Shell which has never removed their stickers.
I don't know where you're at, but Shell and Chevron are the two most overpriced gas stations in my area, and in most all of the state I've been in. Some by over 50 cents a gallon.

I assume this website is up todate with its list of which brands in Canada are Toptier??

If so, I am very surprised how ESSO, Petro Canada, Huskey are not on the list!

WOW!!!

This is the site.. https://toptiergas.com/

View attachment 93227

Who knows what's up. They were all previously on the Top Tier list. Or at least Petro-Canada and Esso as of Nov 1, 2018.

The equivalent in the US and Canada look different. Not sure why XOM would be doing anything different. There could be different regulatory requirements.

Who knows what's up. They were all previously on the Top Tier list. Or at least Petro-Canada and Esso as of Nov 1, 2018.
I assume this website is up todate with its list of which brands in Canada are Toptier??

If so, I am very surprised how ESSO, Petro Canada, Huskey are not on the list!

WOW!!!

From the Top Tier website:

We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.

As this shortage is expected to last through the end of the year, you may see some gas stations noting they are unable to supply TOP TIER™ Gasoline at this time. The brand will still be listed on www.toptiergas.com as this will not apply to all stations.

The TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline program, its Automotive OEM Sponsors and its Fuel Marketers remain committed to gasoline quality, minimizing the impact of the shortage and returning to providing gasoline that meets the TOP TIER™ requirements as soon as possible."

Citgo is the cheapest by me. I'm not sure if it's top tier or not though.
Citgo as a whole is Top Tier though they acknowledge having supply issues in SC. AR, and TX...

TRICLEAN® GASOLINE​

TriCLEAN gasoline is an enhanced, custom-blended fuel designed to help keep fuel injectors, intake valves and cylinders clean with continued use.​

We know quality fuels are important to you, and you have our assurance that all three grades of our CITGO TriCLEAN® gasoline are TOP TIER™, surpassing the existing standards set by the EPA.

I'm retired now and don't drive many miles. Filled up yesterday at Phillip 66. Added a bottle of Techron and also Stabil.
Don't want that fuel going bad on me, and I hate driving anymore. My biggest trip would be about 20 miles, once per week.

Other than that, maybe 3 miles per day average. I'll have my GrandDaughter take it to work and back, now and then for a good warm up. That's about 20 miles each way. She drives a Ford Expedition, and mine is a 2018 Subaru Forester. Probably gets twice the fuel mileage of hers. Win-win situation. She gets a free trip and I get fresh fuel.

I have her name on the Subaru title as well. So no hassles if she gets pulled over for any reason.

Kinda got me thinking that adding about one ounce of high quality fuel system cleaner with PEA to every fill up would most likely provide tons of additive protection and cleaning vs driving around trying to find TT gas.

Back