Top tier gasoline gone?

Has anyone else noticed the top tier rating stickers removed or covered on the gas pumps? I noticed it at our local qwik trip. Not knowing what happened I drove to Costco to fill up instead, and it was on our way to Milwaukee.

If this becomes a thing with detergents not being available to meet certain specs, is there something else that can be added to a tank of gas in the short term? Maybe a fuel additive?

That's odd. I wouldn't think a company would make a deal about removing the TT label from their gas. Especially at a quick trip. Maybe they switched brands of supply and have to legally remove the label from their pumps?

Our local Kwik Trips did the same; their website makes no mention of TT any more but they are still on the TT main list (which does discuss the supply chain issues with their additives). I'd guess they'll participate as they are able given the big dealt they made about their participation in TT - signage on the pumps, in the store, etc. My local store gets a tanker of 87 every day, so I'm confident in the fuel being fresh and all.

IMG_5360.jpeg

Has anyone else noticed the top tier rating stickers removed or covered on the gas pumps? I noticed it at our local qwik trip. Not knowing what happened I drove to Costco to fill up instead, and it was on our way to Milwaukee.

If this becomes a thing with detergents not being available to meet certain specs, is there something else that can be added to a tank of gas in the short term? Maybe a fuel additive?
Chevron Techron plus every 3k or so. It’s chevrons gasoline add pack in concentration

I can't believe that company had the honesty to do that. There must be strict regulations and fines for a change in formulation like that.
Interestingly, QuikTrip did the same thing (this thread is about Kwik Trip, the Wisconsin-based convenience store chain in WI/MN/IA), but I'm not surprised at their honesty - they are a great company and seem to do everything on the level, so this seems par for the course. I do hope that they are able to get their additives back where they were, but I'll buy their gas preferentially either way because of how nice/clean the stores are, their good service, and excellent food options (hot food is quite good, and they have the cheapest bananas/eggs/butter/milk in town). My assumption is they're now just selling EPA-minimum gas due to the shortage.

On the other end of the spectrum, what's the worst or lowest tier of gas you can get?

BP in my small town, used to have top tier stickers, but no more.

I switched to Phillips 66, even though it is connected to a McDonald's, and I detest that place.

.... I switched to Phillips 66, even though it is connected to a McDonald's, and I detest that place.

First I've heard of that. Are they financially connected somehow? We have a Wendy's tied in with a Chevron by the I-40 interchange north of here, but I don't see the "connection". Or why it would make any difference.

I have no idea Bill. It's just a McDonald's with Phillip's 66 fuel. All in one building.

Kind of like a new Love's Travel Stop, they put a few miles out along Interstate 29.
They have a Subway food place in the truck stop. How are they "connected", I have no clue, nor do I care.

I have no beef with McDonalds or Phillip's 66. I'm just an old fart that hates seeing my small town get bigger. It used to be a straight shot out of town to get on the highway. Now with McDonald's there, it is constant traffic pulling out in front of you, or braking to turn in to the joint. Bought a house here to live in a small town, not the city. Now it just keeps getting bigger.

Let's just say - I'm a grumpy old man and want things my way! :D

I'm just an old fart that hates seeing my small town get bigger. It used to be a straight shot out of town to get on the highway. Now with McDonald's there, it is constant traffic pulling out in front of you, or braking to turn in to the joint. Bought a house here to live in a small town, not the city. Now it just keeps getting bigger.

Let's just say - I'm a grumpy old man and want things my way! :D

I hear you. When we first moved here in 1991 the population was right around 18,000. (Rand McNally listed it at 24,000), but they didn't figure that many of the homes were weekend houses owned by Californians. And were empty most of the time.

Today it's right around 55,000, and still growing like gangbusters. Being retired is nice because we get all of our shopping done early, before the crowd is up and about. But after 11:00 AM, and on Summer weekends, it's a madhouse. There are a lot more big box stores, which can be convenient. But overall I miss the small town atmosphere.

It still does exist to some extent. But like most things, added population itself doesn't mean if a little is good, more is better, and too much is just enough.

Asked above: "On the other end of the spectrum, what's the worst or lowest tier of gas you can get?"

I doubt it's a tier but Belfie's Gas made the CEL come on in my '02 Volvo. Switch to another fuel and the light would go out.
Return to Belfi and the light returned. I dubbed it "CGT" for Cheapest Gas in Town.
I do not buy fuel there.

Here's a previous thread on this subject along with a couple related ones:

From the Top Tier website:

We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.
As this shortage is expected to last through the end of the year, you may see some gas stations noting they are unable to supply TOP TIER™ Gasoline at this time. The brand will still be listed on www.toptiergas.com as this will not apply to all stations.
The TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline program, its Automotive OEM Sponsors and its Fuel Marketers remain committed to gasoline quality, minimizing the impact of the shortage and returning to providing gasoline that meets the TOP TIER™ requirements as soon as possible."

Back