top tier gas brands

what are top tier gasoline brands? you all mention them alot.

i personally use exxon, mobil, and shell only....mainly exxon. what are the other good brands?

Just a personal observation...
The BP station closest to me has historically caused my vehicles to spark knock.
The independent station that I now use does not.
The station‘s/franchise owners’ choice of fuel carriers/suppliers used has as much to do with “top quality“ fuel dispensed as name.

The BP station closest to me has historically caused my vehicles to spark knock.
The station‘s/franchise owners’ choice of fuel carriers/suppliers used has as much to do with “top quality“ fuel dispensed as name.
Not really. There are only so many fuel depots in an area to start with, and they blend to the customers requirements in terms of additives. What the customer asks for is what gets delivered. The base fuel is the same except for the required octane rating.

Not really. There are only so many fuel depots in an area to start with, and they blend to the customers requirements in terms of additives. What the customer asks for is what gets delivered. The base fuel is the same except for the required octane rating.
speak for your location. there are no less than seven within two miles of one another in my location.

Some have typical delivery contracts but others shop per load delivered. The later are the the cheaper loads with no blending requirements.

Right. Should have clarified. Low bid doesn’t usually dictate the load requirements for octane. The variances allowed for octane requirements are a joke. If the load of 87 octane were to test at a really low 85 it is good to go. There is a reason for low bid/cheap anything....

I think there is some merit to this. For instance, Valero I have found to be the worst performing gasoline in any vehicle I use it in. Lower fuel economy and the engines feel more labored.

While I love QT gas, I will not use it in my Sonata. That is the only gas brand that has made my Sonata ping, more than one occasion, from different locations. I use QT in my other vehicles with no problems. My guess is QT may have a slightly lower octane rating.

One of my favorite gas stations is RaceTrac. I understand it’s not on the top tier list. But I have had nothing but great results with it for years.

Right. Should have clarified. Low bid doesn’t usually dictate the load requirements for octane. The variances allowed for octane requirements are a joke. If the load of 87 octane were to test at a really low 85 it is good to go. There is a reason for low bid/cheap anything....
If that were the case, regulatory bodies would be all over it because the pumps all say “Minimum Octane Rating XX” on them.

Yes, but if it is advertised as “MINIMUM” then it should never dip below.
Agreed, but we don’t live in a perfect world where everything goes 100% as planned. Most states have an octane variance that as long as the fuel tests within the variance, it will pass. IIRC it’s a few tenths of a point variance.

That would be a violation state laws here in Wisconsin. Perhaps not where you’re at, but if you’re in a privileged position to know that that is happening and it’s a violation, it should be reported. That’s not good for anyone.

Besides I didn’t think we were talking about octane rating. Does Top Tier even dictate octane rating tolerances? I thought we were talking about additives.

Back