Top-off oil for use with GC???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is rumored that GC is disappearing from AZ stores. I have enough GC for three more oil changes (15 qts). Assuming I cannot find any more GC, what can I use as a top-off oil? I seem to be going through about 1/2 qt in 2500-3000 miles, meaning I will need to "top-off" to run my desired 7k intervals.

What would you use? US 10W-30 Syntec? Mobil 1? GTX?

Go buy enough to top off the rest of the oil you have before they quit selling it.

That is my plan, but GC was always hard to find around here. I am just wondering what you all would use assuming I CAN'T find a few quarts on the shelves. More "food for thought" than a real pressing question... I'll worry about it more if I cannot find GC at AZ tonight.
wink.gif

I don't think it's disappearing at all, a few people have spotted US made 0w30 Syntec with the same specs as the German made stuff, so this shows that they are committed to continuing this formula.

I would not "contaminate" my green elixir with anything else.
nono.gif

I believe Castrol is committed to this product.

If things change and they drop it, then it's decision time. I don't think it's happening soon, so I don't horde.

Heck, a Canada or USA made product of the formulation might be as good or better, but perish the though that it could be amber.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
A full stock of GC at our local Autozone.
grin.gif

And you'll find an even bigger stock of it at the local residence occupied by one ekpolk. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

But, the elves never rest. What will you hoarder's do when they release the "improved" elixir? It just can't get any better than this?

That's the trick, of course -- balancing the size of the hoard against factors such as consumption rate, possible threats to supply, the possibility of product improvements, spouse's tolerance for bulk quantities of oil sitting around, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
That's the trick, of course -- balancing the size of the hoard against factors such as consumption rate, possible threats to supply, the possibility of product improvements, spouse's tolerance for bulk quantities of oil sitting around, etc.

Yep, We'll consume as little GC as possible (get the most out of this LL), defend Europe and the oil supplies, and keep the wife happy at all costs.

It's those elves we have to worry about. Those little devils are planning something. They knew about M1 EP long before we did. Counter Attack may be imminent if warranted, maybe not. Maybe just hold like Wallace.

"Spouse's tolerance for bulk quantities of oil sitting around, etc."

Oh yeah, ain't THAT the truth... "Why are you buying more of that oil again so soon after you just changed it?"

"Because it was on sale."

"But you don't need it right now."

"I'll have it ready for the next time, honey."

"You're weird."

John (AKA: Weird).

Trust me, the Elves are NEVER caught by surprise. Despite the quaint look of their lab, a picture of which I posted in another thread, they have ELINT (Electrical Intelligence), HUMINT (Human Intelligence) and SIGINT (Signals Intelligence) capabilities like you would not believe. They KNOW what is going on and they will do what is best for us (yes, for US). They have come to like BITOGGERS except for some members' propensity to treat them lightly or tell jokes at their expense. They have chosen to be patient with the skeptics.
cheers.gif

I'm adding this update to all recent GC topics. I just received this e-mail from Castrol:

Thank you for contacting Castrol.

You can rest assured that Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 available in North America, is the exact same product as Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 manufactured
in Germany. The North American Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 offers the same performance as the German SYNTEC 0W-30, and the performance attributes are clearly demonstrated in the performance ratings and OEM approvals
indicated for each of our individual product offerings.

Castrol produces and utilize formulas from various sources, including North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and
component sourcing. Products may vary in raw materials as a result of the regional production facility. However, the end performance met
whether API or ACEA, is still the same. Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. The performance
specifications on the bottle may read differently as American Standard testing varies from European testing.

Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the most efficient way to supply the product
to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics.

The decision for 0W-30 to be sourced from Germany is based upon the most efficient supply logistics.

Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and
turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.
Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3; BMW LL-01 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3
for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

Please follow the guidelines of the manufacturer for the recommended GRADE and API specific to your application. This information can be
found in the vehicles owner's manual or by visiting the GRADE CALCULATOR at: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/LubesSelector.do?categoryId=82915691

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, The Technology Leader!

Castrol Consumer Relations
END QUOTE

I go with a 1q top-off rule. After adding 1q of GC, I am easily 5000-6000 miles into an oci. The next topping is usually ~whatever~ I have an extra q of. Sometimes it's M1 but usually it's dog-dirt-dino for the last 1000-2000 miles. Bad habit, but after a year I have a whole fill of GC saved extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back