Top 10 synthetic oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marukai,
you had stated months ago that you would do an UOA of Eneos and I have either missed it, the search feature sucks on this website, or you haven't submitted one yet. In fact, when I ran the search it seems that no one has submitted an UOA. I've seen lots of advertising recently in car magazines but have yet to see any type of analysis of Eneos. I'm very interested in it because I believe it has the potential to be very, very good.

I personally haven't tried all these great synthetics, and so I will not vote. I'm wondering just how many people on this forum have tried 10 different synthetics. I plan on sticking with Mobil EP and Pennzoil, but may try Redline and Edge eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: odie
Originally Posted By: Johnny
1. Pennzoil
2. Mobil 1
3. Amsoil
4. Red Line
5. Quaker State
----------
6. Fuchs
7. Elf
8. Castrol
9. Valvoline
10.Torco

Just my opinion so I don't have to tell you why.
no SHELL ! Shame on you !!!
56.gif

No Rotella or Formula Shell love!
56.gif

Well, I was not thinking of HDEO like the Rotella and I happen to think the ones I listed are better than Formula Shell Synthetic. As I said, it's just my opinion.

If we were talking about synthetic HDEO then the Rotella T synthetic would be right up there on the top of my list.

from what i've used

1. valvoline synpower
2. amsoil
3. quakerstate hp
4. castrol syntec
5. pennzoil platinum
6. mobil 1

#1.. Napa syn #2. Wolfs Head syn. #3. A C Delco #4. Agip syn #5. Super Tech #6. Pinnacle National syn #7. Service Pro High Performance #8. Northland Synergy syn #9. Fram syn #10. Coastal High Performance All of these are my opinion like every other list. I like Napa because it makes for a smooth ride except in Queens NY. which has the worst roads other than Detroit.

Personal use top syns
1. PP 5w30...hard to beat for value and protection.
2. Rotella T5/T6 5w40....hard to beat for value and protection
3. Motomaster Formula 1 5w20 (Shell made syn we get at Canadian Tire)....same deal, great price, great protection.
4. Redline 5w30...used it, love it, don't currently have anything to put it in that justify's the cost.
5. Amsoil 0w40 powersports....used it, love it, too expensive and run Rotella T6 5w40 in my ATV now.

I used Mobil 1 5w30 for the first year I had my Jeep, then Sam put PP 5w30 on sale for half of what it costs here in Canada for a jug of M1. My beef with M1 and Castrol is they try and command a premium price through advertising, but don't offer a real premium product.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Personal use top syns
1. PP 5w30...hard to beat for value and protection.
2. Rotella T5/T6 5w40....hard to beat for value and protection
3. Motomaster Formula 1 5w20 (Shell made syn we get at Canadian Tire)....same deal, great price, great protection.
4. Redline 5w30...used it, love it, don't currently have anything to put it in that justify's the cost.
5. Amsoil 0w40 powersports....used it, love it, too expensive and run Rotella T6 5w40 in my ATV now.

I used Mobil 1 5w30 for the first year I had my Jeep, then Sam put PP 5w30 on sale for half of what it costs here in Canada for a jug of M1. My beef with M1 and Castrol is they try and command a premium price through advertising, but don't offer a real premium product.

I like your comment about Mobil 1. However, i agree with Calvinnnnnnnn's list.

Valvoline makes a -MIGHTY- Fine Synthetic AND Synthetic Blend Oil.

And some of us HAVE used Many.. some of us have not.

Pennzoil Ultra surely has dethroned Mobil 1, even beyond Platinum.. However, Mobil 1 Loyalists will keep using Mobil 1, which CAN and HAS been BEAT.... but is not "Bad."

I Have not used enough to make a list.. But i dont trust AMSOIL due to their marketing. People do, however, say it is an Excellent Oil.

Boutique Oils like LubroMoly, Royal Purple, Redline, and "Manufacturer" Oils from Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz (Lubro Moly?) and the like.. surely are Specialty, and very good.

My
49.gif

(Also, im surprised nobody has derided the P for asking the "Best" Oil. This is BITOG; We ALL like our own Oils of Choice!)

Last edited:
1) M1 0w-40
2) M1 10w-30HM
3) M1 5w-30 HM
4) M1 10w-30 EP
5) M1 5w-30 EP
6) M1 15w-50
7) GC
8) something on sale
9) something on a better sale
10) something free

1. Amsoil SSO
2. free M1 EP, SynPower, PP, GC, Redline
3. on better sale M1 EP, SynPower, PP, GC, Redline
4. on sale M1 EP, SynPower, PP, GC, Redline

haw

Originally Posted By: Capa
Marukai,
you had stated months ago that you would do an UOA of Eneos and I have either missed it, the search feature sucks on this website, or you haven't submitted one yet. In fact, when I ran the search it seems that no one has submitted an UOA. I've seen lots of advertising recently in car magazines but have yet to see any type of analysis of Eneos. I'm very interested in it because I believe it has the potential to be very, very good.

I personally haven't tried all these great synthetics, and so I will not vote. I'm wondering just how many people on this forum have tried 10 different synthetics. I plan on sticking with Mobil EP and Pennzoil, but may try Redline and Edge eventually.

I haven't done a UOA on Eneos yet. However, I'm pretty confident that this is an above average oil. It's made by the largest oil company in Japan (Nippon Oil). This company has been around for ages, so I don't think it would be a matter of trial and error for this company. Many Japanese makes use oil from this company as a factory fill.

US
1. Shell
2. Exxon
3. Valvoline
4. Amsoil
5. Redline
6. Eneos
7. Lubrication Engineers

AMEA
1. Shell
2. Exxon
3. BP

Last edited:
It would be great if people could post their car details along with their oil choices. It would give newbies like me some indication of what might be best.

ah [censored], ill give this joke of a thread a shot

1. Amsoil
2. Redline
3. Mobil 1
4. Shell Rotella
5. Castrol Edge
6. Royal Purple
7. Pennzoil Ultra
8. Valvoline Synpower
9. Pennzoil Platinum
10. Quaker State

and for s and giggles

11. Super Tech

Last edited:
It seems to me that to start out on this thread, without even including the U.S. controlling body for motor oils is absurd. Did you ever hear of API? So many car owners are REQUIRED to use an API APPROVED oil that it is not realistic to include oils that don't meet API standards. OK, so they say they exceed API. I say, put your money where your mouth is, GET API APPROVAL. Do you hear me-- you guys without API? Just my opinion FWIW. Oldtommy

The top 10 companies in terms of technical expertise:

1. Mobil 1 - It's safe to say that their resources, patents, R&D, number of working scientists, etc. dwarf any other company's expertise. They are the AT&T Bell Laboratory of the synthetic world.
Of course that doesn't mean that they make the best oil you can buy. Especially if you live in America. They were in a position to take the high road when the word SYNTHETIC became meaningless in the United States. They took the low road instead. As a big fan that makes me sick. I still like them a lot. Just not enough to lie for them. Yes, I use their product and some of them are great.

2. Shell - Shell Helix Ultra (I don't know what it is and I don't care either). I just know that Ferrari uses it and that company couldn't care less, about an extra $100 kickback, on a crankcase that's connected to an engine that costs $50,000.

3. Castrol - I don't know enough about them as a blender to be absolutely certain. Yet, all their true European formulations appear to be very sophisticated products. They seem to be wired into Germany, which I believe has the best Organic Chemistry labs in the world. So yeah.

4. Chevron - Techron's development demonstrates their chemical expertise. Even though they've closed every Chevron station in the New York Metro area and nobody knows who the heck they are anymore.

5. Conoco Phillips (probably tied with all the remaining companies)

6. Tie

7. Tie

8. Tie

9. Tie

10. Tie

Okay, guys... In the original post, I suggested that we discuss the places one by one instead of just making "grocery lists". Half the posts here just made lists based on their opinion.

Some people did bring up interesting information though, such as saying that Pennzoil is better than Mobil 1. So now my question is, why is that (better base stocks, additives)? Is it good enough to be included as #1 in the list?

No more opinions or lists, please.

Maybe there really isn't, but some people just swear by certain oils. I'm giving them an opportunity to explain why they think so in this thread.

Except I haven't seen much explaining yet.

Originally Posted By: akhristov
Okay, guys... In the original post, I suggested that we discuss the places one by one instead of just making "grocery lists". Half the posts here just made lists based on their opinion.

Some people did bring up interesting information though, such as saying that Pennzoil is better than Mobil 1. So now my question is, why is that (better base stocks, additives)? Is it good enough to be included as #1 in the list?

No more opinions or lists, please.

That MUST be me, as i did comment on Pennzoil Ultra probably being able to best Mobil 1 in almost every way... IF the situation will ever come up (Mobil 1 is good enough that the people that use it wont switch. Hence, my point.)

Art, I believe that Pennzoil Ultra -MAY- Be Better. Mobil 1 seems to be more or less "The Same" for some time.. and Pennzoil "Platinum" and M1 have been going at it for some time.. well, if Ultra is MUCH Better than Platinum (It has to be at least a little better in some ways.. I cant really produce my Thoughts into Words here,) - Then perhaps it is the "Better" Oil.

I think every Car AND Driver has their "Right" Oil.

However, im following this Thread.. for when AND IF I decide to trust myself to TOUCH my Classic i have.

Bring on the Speculation.. Im NOT Talking about a Jaguar.. Sorry to Disappoint...
32.gif
32.gif

But if you are looking for -factual evidence,- Id have to take some time to dig up Formulation sheets, and have a Level of Expertise i dont possess to compare and contrast.

However, going by the Vibes.. Pennzoil Ultra will take on M1 ANY DAY.

And No, i dont use M1, OR Pennzoil Ultra.

I like Valvoline Products. And once upon a time.. it was Castrol, as per my Family Tradition.

We are also a GM Family.. which is why my present -CLASSIC- Vehicle (Not the Blazer) makes me a TRAITOR. (I applaud the guy with No Oil in his Stingray. My question to him: What Oil will he put in once that's Straightened out?)
32.gif

Thanks. Best Luck to you in finding your Information, Art. Ive contributed my Viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back