Took the 5w20 plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit... I've always been a stallwart thinker of "thicker is better!". But after long hard discussions, and sleepless nights after too much BITOG reading, I decided to go ahead and do some 5w20 (what the car was spec'd for in the first place).

Vehicle = 2006 Mazda MX-5 (miata)

Only has 25k on it.. last two OCI's were with Amsoil SSO (one for 5k, the next for 7.5k). I do a 60mi highway commute each day @ approx 70-75mph for 3/4 of it. With the mail-in rebate promo on the Pennzoil Platinum (an oil I've used in the past and had good experiences with), I decided to raid my local Wal-Mart. 4 jugs later, and one PureOne filter, here I am. Another 5w20 convert.

...my engine didn't blow up.
......my camshafts didn't immediately fray into oblivion.

Hopefully no worries! Any comforting words of wisdom from the veterans? :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000

Any comforting words of wisdom from the veterans? :p

My 2008 Mazda 3 has ONLY had 5w-20 since NEW except for the last 3000 miles (car has 39,000) and it still pulls like a freight train and doesn't burn a drop. You're good to go.

Since I purchased my first Honda in 2002, I've always used 5W20. Seven years later, I too have been fortunate enough not to have my engine blow up as a result.

My first Honda had 73,000 miles.
My second Honda has 96,000 miles.
My third Honda has 34,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
You did 5k OCI's on SSO? and you were driving mostly highway miles? That's quite the waste.

Yes, but please note how low miles my car has as it is. That oil went in around 12k miles... I didn't want to run a super long OCI yet due to break in. I prefer the "step up" method... 5k, 7.5k, had I stayed with SSO, the next would have been 10k, etc.

Overkill? Perhaps. But it's how I roll.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I love 5W-20.

+1 I had some moments of hesitation when I poured it into my 08 Jeep, no issues. Then decided to try it in a back spec'd high mileage Ford 3.0L vulcan engine. I'm impressed, and believe it is a good oil, it reduced oil use slightly and the engine is running well. I mixed in some 5W30 with the 5W20 to get rid of some left over qts at my last OCI, and oil use went back up a little to where it was before the switch to the 5W20. I'm about 2.5-3 months away from the next OCI and will use all 5W20 again, no mixing this time.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I love 5W-20.

+1 I had some moments of hesitation when I poured it into my 08 Jeep, no issues. Then decided to try it in a back spec'd high mileage Ford 3.0L vulcan engine. I'm impressed, and believe it is a good oil, it reduced oil use slightly and the engine is running well.

Yeah, I was also a bit worried putting it into my 5.7L hemi, but after nearly 3 years...no problems at all.

Having grown up in the 70's when thick oil and STP were common it was very hard to make the switch over to a 20 grade oil. I also grew up when 2000 mile OCI's were severe service intervals, so pushing oil beyond 3000 miles was pretty hard to do too. Times have changed and oil has evolved, 5W20 works well in my applications.

the main reason I came to this site was my first car that specd 5-20, and I wanted some info. After 30 years as a truck and bus tech I was used to the thick stuff.
I tried a bunch of different 30& 20 weights and after research on and off this site plus just my unscientific gut feeling am now totally satisfied and convinced that 5-20 is the right oil for my escape in my climate with my usage, it also sounds and feels better with it.
yes the main reason for thinner oils is cafe but that does not mean it cant be good,look at fuel injection,electronic ignition etc. this stuff helped meet emision and mileage standards but also makes for better running cars

My truck is speced for 20wt oil, but have used whatever is a good value at the time oil is needed. Have used 30wt a couple of times but buy 20 wt when it is available at the same price. The plus of 20wt to me is the 1 to 1.5 more MPG.

Been using it since I got the Mustang in 2002. Never thought much about it. I didn't realize it was such a big deal to people (BITOG and Mustang forums).

I use both 20 and 30 weights in my F150. I use 5 or 10 W30 from my stash in summer. I really wouldn't have any reservations using a 20 either, but I rotate my stock and if a 30 weight is up, I use it. I will say though, that my 5.4L typically runs a little quieter with no perceived loss in mileage on 30 wts, but the current fill of PP 5w20 is very nice.

20 weight oils are well engineered and IMO, no one should worry about it if your vehicle calls for it. Heck, I just returned from a cross county trip to Moab, UT from central Massachusetts pulling 6000+ lbs of Jeep/trailer and a bed full of spare parts running NAPA 5W20 conventional (with about 1.5qts of leftover 5W30 QS Torquepower from famliy changes). She didn't miss a beat, even being floored for miles to make it up the Rockies!

I think it's always good to hear the 5w20 success stories. Makes people feel better about their decision!
cheers3.gif

When I first poured it into my car, I thought water had a higher viscosity than 5w20. I still use it though.

Used 5w20 in an 01 Civic since new, still running like a champ. Mostly MC5k syn blend, but now any name brand dino or synthetic on sale. Currently QS Horsepower in an 07 Accord 3.0L.

Your car is spec'd for it, and PP is good stuff, with a Pure One, no worries.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
When I first poured it into my car, I thought water had a higher viscosity than 5w20. I still use it though.

I thought the same thing. I'm still using it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back