Iffy Lube Incompetence. . . Unreal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I had to go to a quicky place it was snowing and I was going on a long trip so I decided what the **** . It was my brand new 2001 Hyndai. First change at that. Well they get the oil changed fine but let there token ultra cute grease monkey blondie co-ed teenie girl take the car out of the bay. I was writting hte check when the chashier guy and I heard a large screech. We both look up at the same time to see the slut pop the clutch and **** near launch it right into the floor bay. His eyes went wide and I started making comments about her heritage and promescuity while she pulled it around. He never even said a word. I was so hot I thought I was going to pass out. I always did/do my own vehicle work but the ONE time I had to use one I nearly lost the whole thing...
shocked.gif

I work at a one of these fast oil change places. There are a few things I'd like to add:

1.) First oil change vehicles DO have insanely tight oil filters.... seems like some factories like to use impact wrenches to install em
grin.gif

2.) It's true that most guys dont really know a WHOLE lot about cars... I've built several Mustangs and other vehicles from the ground up.... but I'll tell you that there are few people that know how to PROPERLY change oil and filter faster or better than these guys....

3.) Fram oil filters really really really suck. If you do use them, please make sure the gasket is not on your filter base. 50% of the time it will be!

4.) Why do auto manufacturers like to put catalytic converters right next to their oil filters?

5.) yes, the pay does suck, but when you're in college, you get what you can =) But I still put in 100% when I'm working on your vehicle. The other guys in my crew are the same way.

when i've had filters that are extremely difficult to remove i get out my channel locks. i don't make a mess this way, and i always win.

not to be a putz, but be sure you're spinning it the correct direction as well. sometimes when things are upside down they get spun wrong (voice of experience...)

ymmv

fruit.gif

[ November 25, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: tweeker43 ]

Here's my Iffy lube story;

I was in Jiffy with my Chevy Cavalier when the gentleman comes up with my Transmission fluid dipstick and a grave look on his face. He showed it to me and said "see these metal shavings?" (of course could not see)"Definitely need to change the transmission fluid". So I got out my little log book and informed him that I had just had it changed at a different jiffy lube a month before. He wipes off the dipstick and says "Great, you're all set".
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:
not to be a putz, but be sure you're spinning it the correct direction as well. sometimes when things are upside down they get spun wrong (voice of experience...)

ymmv

fruit.gif

If you are ever unsure which way to turn an object to loosen or tighten it. Lay your watch on the ground, or in your case just leave the watch on your wrist and look at it. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Ahh. I am just funnin with you.

Jeff

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Here's my Iffy lube story;

I was in Jiffy with my Chevy Cavalier when the gentleman comes up with my Transmission fluid dipstick and a grave look on his face. He showed it to me and said "see these metal shavings?" (of course could not see)"Definitely need to change the transmission fluid". So I got out my little log book and informed him that I had just had it changed at a different jiffy lube a month before. He wipes off the dipstick and says "Great, you're all set".
freak2.gif

Dude, that happened to me last week at our local Oldsmobile dealer. I took it in because it was leaking coolent. Well, now they have a little tray thingy and they drip some of all your fluids onto it to show you their condition. The tray is marked for each particluar fluid and it has a tiny recess to hold the fluid. Service writer says look at the particles and metal flakes in the tranny fluid. I look at it in dissaray because the fluid was flushed not more than six months ago AT THEIR DEALERSHIP! I say, hmmmmmm, don't see anything and it was just changed. Guys like, well, alrighty then. He then sniffed the oil to check for coolent (we brought it in to check the intake gasket). He says, I don't see any coolent in the oil. I said, yea, the last time we had the gasket changed and it was leaking coolent into the oil, it was not visible without die and a pressure test (I had talked to the mechanic about it). He was like, OK then, you're all set. I rolled my eyes and laughed, he wasn't too happy. You can just tell that they hate people that actually know about cars!

quote:

Originally posted by Rick in PA:
Yup, I wonder what the turn-over is in those places too...

I receive one of the major trade magazines and have read that there is about a 300% turnover rate in the business.

BTW I am in the same business but do consider myself different in that I go to the customer's location and I am an owner/operator. I crawl under each vehicle myself and treat it as if it were my wife's.

I have lots of interesting facts from surveys the mag. reports each year. I use this info for sales material. Here's a good one- The average price for an oil change is $26-28.00, the average ticket total per car is $38.50 - 46.15 (separated based on how many stores are owned). Also, the average wage paid to the lube techs is around $7.50/hr

i'm glad yer just joshin' cause i have a pocket watch. i'd be totally screwed if it were digital.

grin.gif

anyway, i had a problem once doing some body work on a motorcycle... couldn't get the screw to break free, no matter what. it was "pointing up" and i was giving it my all, just in the wrong direction.

minor details.

quote:

Originally posted by Mic:

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:

ymmv

fruit.gif

If you are ever unsure which way to turn an object to loosen or tighten it. Lay your watch on the ground, or in your case just leave the watch on your wrist and look at it. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Ahh. I am just funnin with you.

Jeff

Not only do you have to worry about the oil filter, but getting those techs to check your air filter can be a challenge as well. I know on our '99 and '01 Mustangs, you have to take off some sensor wires that are on a clip, if you don't do that first, the clip snaps off and your screwed. Also on our Honda, same thing. A lot of these newer cars require at least a phillips head or a ratchet.
I basically have been doing this at the Iffy Lubes when it snows or too cold here (yes, it does get that way sometimes down here) and I don't change it myself:
I go straight to the guy that is going to work on my car and tell him that all I want them to do is change the oil and filter and check the air pressure on the tires. I don't want my battery, transmission, wiper blades, brakes, CV boots or U joints, or radiator fluids checked. That's ALL. Seems to work a lot better, they are happy because that's less stuff they got to do and I'm happy because I know they ain't down there "experimenting" on my vehicle.

I will throw out a different story. Took my landcruiser to the Dealer for the $27.95 oil change and the $49.95 trans fluid change (dealer will only do a drain refill, they say they have had problems with flushing). The outcome:

1) Guy complemented me on the use of Mobil 1,

2) Said the Diff and Transfer case fluids looked clean and recently changed (I bought he car used),

3) They lubed my U-Joints,

4) When he drained the transfluid, he captured some, checked the color, smelled for burned and commented that it seemed to be in good shape and regularly serviced.

My thoughts. I you don't want to do it yourself, go to a good independent or a dealer for the specials.

Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back