Too much to expect from a HF bolt?

I got two bolts from this set to insert into a rotor on my Subaru and tightened the bolts, one then the other back trying to pop off the rotor. After they got tight they just started turning, no longer moving in. I wacked the rotor several time with a rubber mallet to get the rotor off.

Once off, I could not get the bolt unthreaded. Used a drift pin and hammer to get the bolt out.

Seems to me crappy steel was used to make this bolt.

I know I could go to a hardware store and get a class 5 bolt that would be better.

Or am I expecting too much?

I got two bolts from this set to insert into a rotor on my Subaru and tightened the bolts, one then the other back trying to pop off the rotor. After they got tight they just started turning, no longer moving in. I wacked the rotor several time with a rubber mallet to get the rotor off.

Once off, I could not get the bolt unthreaded. Used a drift pin and hammer to get the bolt out.

I know I could go to a hardware store and get a class 5 bolt that would be better.

Grade zero crap there. These are okay, I get all the 10.9 from these guys.

I have that same set. They're nice to have around and work good for things that don't need very high strength. There's one size in there with a 10mm head that's a super common automotive fastener and is commonly used for things like wiring harness/hose hold downs, body fastening, interior stuff, etc. Those are the bolts I always seem to lose, and since strength isn't critical, they work well in a pinch.

My only complaint with them is the zinc plating is awful and they start rusting in a month or two if exposed to the elements.

If you're doing suspension work, engine work, etc. where there's a fair amount of torque required, these wont cut it.

I’d get better bolts from either a local fastener store or Belmetric or anywhere like that. Those bolts are ok for around the house or in a pinch that is about it. They just feel really cheap. If I was going to use those since the coating isn’t great I’d put a coat of anti seize on them to ensure they don’t get stuck and break off.

Grade zero crap there.
This. They don't even give a specification for these bolts. If they will ship low grade 4.8 hardware with their 20 ton press, this is guaranteed to be garbage. Metric 4.8 is similar to a SAE grade 2 in strength. Weak low carbon steel. I bet this kit is even lower grade than that. Please don't use these for anything that can effect life or limb.

Its not just HF either, I bought a dozen 5/16 lag bolts from Lowes to fasten 4x4 legs to a workbench. Even with predrilled holes I turned the heads off 4 of them before they even seated on the washers with a standard 3/8 drive wrench.Total garbage and not cheap either.

Its not just HF either, I bought a dozen 5/16 lag bolts from Lowes to fasten 4x4 legs to a workbench. Even with predrilled holes I turned the heads off 4 of them before they even seated on the washers with a standard 3/8 drive wrench.Total garbage and not cheap either.
Yep. Those things are junk too. Get Rugged Structural Screws next time.

just go to ace or home depot and get the grade 8 or metric equiv.. I usually use allen head capscrews.

I agree with the others. Look into this kit:

I highly recommend it.

Expected performance from a low end fastener, but its not as if they are represented as anything but.

Here is my go-to for most important fasteners; Bolt Depot

For anything that I really, really worry about, I use AN...

Back