Tofu lovers/likers, please check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I had tofu was about 15 years ago. I had been invited for a dinner at my Chinese friend - we were students at the same college in Cyprus. I thought it was egg whites. At the time, I had only read about soy beans in books and had no idea that you could make things out of them.

But I was never a big fan of tofu. That is, until the beginning of this winter when I thought to experiment with silken tofu.

So, here is a not too bad alternative to ice cream. Mix silken tofu (the softest type) with fruits and make a smooth mixture. Remember to sweeten to taste preferably with brown sugar and add vanilla extract.

If you cool it, it is like ice cream. Otherwise, it's a smoothie. Not quite an alternative to the real things but a pleasant dessert on its own right.

I get gout(severe pain associated with animal protein digestion)and I had tried Tofu for the first time last week. I will slowly try to eat more of it, but I want to be sure I can retain my man card!!

I buy Mori-Nu tofu bricks (non-GMO). Go figure... Anyway, I usually buy the firm or extra firm versions for cubing and frying and for adding to miso soup. I like the softer tofu cold with a little lemon juice and soy sauce.

I don't care for tofu as an ice-cream substitute at all.

There is a desert called Tofu Flower (or Tofu pudding in some places). It is the extra extra soft version that would crumble in your spoon, much softer than even the silken tofu. In the old days I remember street vendor selling it from a bucket that it was made in, by scooping it out, one slice at a time, into a serving bowl, then add a diluted ginger syrup and brown sugar (for crispy texture). You can find these in dim sum or Chinese desert places nowadays.

Last edited:
As Pablo said, tofu is very good in the right dish. It is good in smoothies, desserts, many Asian soups & dishes, etc. It is not a hamburger or steak replacement. Tofurkey is not even funny.

Yeah, I don't even know why they try to substitute it for meat.

The wife and I have eaten tofu for years. She makes miso and her own version of egg drop soup. I love deep fried tofu with memmu noodles.

Somebody was saying that soybean products might be bad for men as they contain plant estrogens. Any truth to this? Cause I eat tofu at least once a week.

Soy is delicious if done correctly, especially in Asian dishes. I eat it once in awhile. I used to eat a TON of soy stuff, soy milk, veggie burgers, etc. I did a 180 and now almost NEVER eat it. Almond, hemp, and oat milk are WAY better.

My concern is the number of food products that soy protein isolate is creeping into. Like corn syrup, they sneak it in there when you least expect it. I also completely disagree with soy baby formula. Dumping a ton of hormone like substances into an infant can't be a good thing.

Is it true that eating a large quantity of tofu will pose health risks?

I was told by some relatives that one of the ingredients in Tofu could potentially cause issues with humans. I'll have to find out which ingredient is.

Is there any truth to this?

It's not an ingredient, but a naturally occurring compound in soy in general that may cause issues. If you consume soy in moderate quantities, soy's benefits very likely outweigh any possible ill effects. Just don't eat a diet consisting of mostly soy products.

We go through fits and spurts of use with a few different varieties.

We tend to use far, far more tempeh than tofu.
Tempeh is soya beans cultured with rhizopus oligosporus. (yes, I had to read the packet
wink.gif
)

yep..I like Tofu as it tends to absorb the flavor/flavors of what its cooked in.My favorite is the extra firm as it has a cheese quality to it.

I ate a little of it years ago, & my biggest thought was, What for? Thanks, but you can have my share of tofu.
wink.gif

Besides- did you ever notice how close "tofu" sounds to "toe food"? A liguistic accident? I think not!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
I ate a little of it years ago, & my biggest thought was, What for? Thanks, but you can have my share of tofu.
wink.gif

Besides- did you ever notice how close "tofu" sounds to "toe food"? A liguistic accident? I think not!
grin2.gif

How bout soil sauce!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back